Assistance programs in Ascension Parish Louisiana.
Find how families and individuals in Ascension Parish Louisiana can get financial assistance or free stuff. Residents have some options for grant money to help pay rent or electric bills. Various charity agencies, churches and government social services is available to low income families and people who need advice.
There are also free groceries from pantries as well as back to school supplies, vouchers for gasoline, or low cost or free dental clinics. In addition to financial help in Prairieville, families can get free Christmas gifts or enroll into job training. There are also Christmas gifts, health care centers and other resources in the parish.
Financial assistance, food, basic needs and more in Ascension Parish
Quad Area Community Action runs programs for the low income and people faced with and overcoming poverty. Some specific resources are offered for veterans and military members too. A summary of the programs and resources are below.
- Medicaid Applications – Seniors and low income can apply for government health care at this agency.
- Teen Pregnancy Information and Prevention Programs, including information on where to go for care.
- Utility Bill Service Payment Assistance – Families can apply for LIHEAP and weatherization at this non-profit community action agency. Grants can be used to pay energy and electric bill. Veterans and military members can exceed poverty guideline and still receive energy assistance.
- Disabled programs, including handicapped equipment.
- Head Start – Low income families, their children, and parents can access social services, education programs, food, and services like free medical or health care.
- Man-to-Man – This is a support group for men who pay child support.
- Emergency Food and Shelter - This federal funded program can provide everything from emergency funds for paying back rent to security deposits for low income homes in Ascension and other aid.
- Referrals - Clients can be linkage to other charities, non-profits that may offer loans, job training solutions, and other human services.
Call or stop by the Quad Area Community Action at 45300 N. Baptist Rd., Hammond, Louisiana 70401. Multiple locations are in the region too. Phone (225) 567-2350, or learn more on programs from Quad Area Community Action Agency.
Ascension Council On Aging focuses on seniors and the low income. Food is provided, including Home Delivered Meals to the homebound. Congregate Meals can be offered too, as well as Food Vouchers for the local Farmers Market. The vouchers can be up to $25. Seniors faced with a disconnection can apply for utility or water bill payment assistance. They also help low income as well as seniors (or retirees) on Medicare get the dental care they need, and find more details on low cost dental clinics near you.
Receive free or low cost transportation to Senior Centers, medical appointments, congregate meals sites, grocery stores, and other social service agencies or counties within Ascension Parish. Health Aides can also provide wheelchairs or walkers. Donaldsonville Louisiana based. Phone number is (225) 473-3789 or 888-442-5719.
Ascension Salvation Army Social Services – Can have financial assistance for basic needs as well as case management, referrals, and other support. A summary of the services are below.
- Utility and Electric Bill Service Payment Assistance is offered for people who have a disconnect notice.
- Housing or Rent Payment Assistance. The Salvation Army may have money for those with an eviction notice.
- Groceries, meals, food, and perishable items.
- Vouchers for clothing, household goods, furniture. Some of this aid is for victims of fire or natural disasters.
- Click here for more information on senior and elderly programs.
All aid is limited and only distributed in certain hours, and usually only for the first several people per day. Usually the Salvation Army only pays up to $50.00 of utility bill for Ascension families. An applicant needs to show proof, by money order, that they can pay remainder of bill if they are to receive help. Call (225) 644-2807, or read more on the Salvation Army in Baton Rogue and Ascension region.
Ascension Parish Section 8 Rental Assistance Program is run by Robert Macedo & Associates. Phone number (225)344-7129. This non-profit, government affiliated agency administers Section 8 rental assistance for extremely and very low-income applicants. They have information on public housing and other government aid too. Also State and Federal Grants (LCDBG) for Ascension Parish. Applications for rental and housing assistance can only be taken if the program is open, as often there is a waiting list. Funds are limited; however there is no fee to apply for section 8 rental assistance.
Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank also covers the Ascension Parish region. The location serves as a clearinghouse that collects, stores, and distributes millions of pounds of food. So the food bank gives the items to churches and non-profits. Low income families or anyone in need should stop by there for free groceries or food and they need to apply there. Hundreds of people per day receive food, perishable items, canned good, and fruits from their local food bank. Call (225) 359-9940 for locations of distribution.
Ascension Saint Vincent De Paul Society - One of the nation’s leading charity organizations that is made up of local churches, volunteers, and parishes. The organization is committed to helping the working poor, seniors, disabled, unemployed, and others. An extensive number of assistance programs are offered to the needy. Examples include employment services and job training, housing, food, free mobile dental clinics and clothing.
While more limited, some emergency financial assistance may be offered in a crisis for such things as rent, utilities, or gasoline (for job interviews). Other aid in Ascension Parish Louisiana includes Christmas meals, medications, and more. Click here for assistance from SVDP.
Housing programs - Non-profits and charities in Ascension Parish Louisiana do everything from shelter the homeless to arrange one time, limited rent or housing payment help. The resources may range from the following.
- Money for paying moving costs, including a security deposit.
- Referrals to loans from credit unions or government grants for back rent or LIHEAP.
- Shelter, transitional housing, and HUD programs.
- Other support may be arranged too. More on Ascension Parish rent assistance.
St. Theresa Food Bank is a local site to receive items from at 1022 N. Burnside Avenue, Gonzales, LA 70737, dial (225)647-2803. There are holiday food baskets, fresh or perishable groceries and other household supplies.
St John Ministry Of Care – May have financial assistance for basic needs like utilities, food, rent, and medications. A formal application process is in place, and several qualifications need to be met. 217 West 5th Street LaPlace, Louisiana 70068, phone (985) 652-2729
Ascension Parish Health Unit – A WIC Application site. Also offers other free public medical care and assistance including Immunizations, Birth Control, General Check Ups, and Pregnancy Test. This may also supply for to needy families. 1024 S E Ascension Complex Blvd, Gonzales Louisiana, 70737.