latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Rental assistance Allegan and Van Buren County

Financial assistance from charities or the government will help low-income families pay their rent. Agencies operate across both Van Buren as well as Allegan County. Find immediate rental assistance, funds to pay for a security deposit or moving costs, housing vouchers for affordable no-wait list apartments and more. Get help with back rent near you in Allegan and Van Buren County.

Tenants with an eviction can get emergency financial help for rent or housing as well as free legal consultations from a lawyer. Funding, which is very limited, will be combined with stabilization services. Applicants need to participate in the full spectrum of programs, including credit repair, administered in order to receive any rental assistance from one of these organizations.

If the resident is too far behind on what they owe their landlord, then the best option for them may be to move into a transitional housing site. This will allow the family time to save their income for future rent costs on a new, low income apartment. They can also seek funds for a security deposit during that time frame or apply for section 8 housing from Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) in the Allegan County region.

For more information on applying for assistance, or to access social service, call an agency below. Any funding for rent is limited. Some of the charities, such as Love Inc., only offer referrals.

Places that help with rent in Van Buren and Allegan County

Michigan Department Of Health and Human Services
Housing and rent assistance is from State Emergency Relief/SER. Expenses paid for by the state include moving expenses as well as security deposits. Low income families can also receive a grant for paying rent arrears, taxes, utility bills for a new home or apartment and much more. The applicant needs to be homeless, in temporary housing or on the verge of eviction.

  • Van Buren County - 57150 County Road 681, Hartford, Michigan 49057, dial (269) 621-2800.
  • Allegan County office is 3255 122nd, Allegan, MI 49010. Dial (269) 673-7700.

Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers
Each county has their own housing authority to apply at. In general, the rent subsidized homes and apartments from section 8 have a waiting list. Costs are based on the families income. Get section 8, emergency vouchers and other support. Or look here for low income apartments no waiting list near you now.

  • Community Housing Advocates is for Allegan County. Location is 1362 84th St SW, Byron Center, MI 49315. Call (616) 277-1272
  • Community Management Associates, Inc. (CMA) -  18051 Northland Dr, Big Rapids, MI 49307. Phone: (231) 796-8883




Legal Aid of Allegan County and Western Michigan
Main office is 201 W Kalamazoo Ave Kalamazoo, Michigan 49007. Dial (269) 344-8113
Low-income families, seniors and people with an eviction can get free legal advice from a lawyer. They help with housing discrimination, offer landlord-tenant mediation, assist with applications to rent programs, and try to stop an eviction.

Salvation Army Regional Location
1269 M-89, Plainwell, MI 49080. Phone - (269) 685-5886 or (269) 927-1353
Based on donations from the community, one time funds may be issued for rent, utilities, and other costs. They also have homeless shelters, free motel vouchers for Van Buren and Allegan County, moving assistance and other support. More on Michigan Salvation Army rent assistance.

Love Inc Of Northwest Allegan County
Only referrals to housing and rent programs are offered. Address is 4621 135th Ave, Hamilton, MI 49419. (269) 751-2533
Only referrals are offered for rent payments. In addition to that service, counseling will help the client so they can budget properly to save their money for future housing needs.

Allegan Homeless Solutions
Location is 409 Oaks Crossing, Plainwell, MI 49080. Dial (269) 686-4703
Rent payment help is for low-income families, seniors, single moms and the disabled. Homeless people can get referrals to free temporary housing or grant programs too.

Christian Neighbors
Programs range from funds for rent to stop an eviction, money for utilities, furniture for an apartment, and other hardship funds. Mobile lot rent payment help is offered too. There are two regional centers.

  • Address - 282 12th Street, Plainwell, MI 49080. Call (269) 685-4166
  • 6874 Wiley Rd, Fennville, MI 49408. Phone: (269) 857-1050





Housing Resource Center of Allegan County
323 Water St, Allegan, MI 49010. Phone: (269) 673-5472
The non-profit may offer one time funds, or no-interest loans, for rent. Landlord and tenant mediation will also be arranged as part of the case management process.

Allegan County and Van Buren County Veteran Services
3255 122nd Ave., 200, Allegan, MI 49010. Call (269) 673-0501 or (800) 642-4838
There are rent assistance and relief programs, including grant money from SSVF, free motel vouchers, legal aid, motel vouchers and more. Veterans and their families will get help. OR locate other emergency financial help, including for rent.

Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency
The Van Buren Office is at 57150 CR 681, Hartford, MI 49057. Telephone - (800) 334-7670.
Supportive housing, which includes rent help or vouchers, is for the disabled. Additional housing support can assist the elderly.

Decatur Human Services
102 South Phelps Street, Decatur, Michigan 49045. Call (269) 423-6474
Temporary financial aid, which is limited, may help with rent, heating costs, and more in Van Buren County.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site