latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Eviction and homeless prevention programs in Michigan.

Government grants that are issued to non-profits in Michigan as part of the Continuum of Care or SER program can help tenants that are faced with an eviction as well as the currently homeless. Qualified residents can access a wide variety of resources that are offered from the programs listed below. Assistance includes access to transitional housing, emergency rental assistance to stop an eviction, case management, and even funds to pay a portion of a security deposit on a new, low income apartment. Other support is also available to applicants that satisfy Housing and Urban Development guidelines.

While short term aid may be offered in some part of Michigan, the true focus is on breaking the cycle of poverty or homelessness. Non-profit agencies as well as other groups will therefore provide case management and self-sufficiency services.

As part of this, some of what may be available includes referrals to job placement and training programs in the state. Additional support will be offered in coordination with non-profit credit counseling agencies and others. This can address financial matters, such as help families create a budget or rebuild their credit. These activities can help break the cycle of homelessness.

Emergency assistance to stop evictions or homelessness in Michigan

Renters facing imminent eviction can sometimes receive emergency assistance as well. This is more likely offered to families that are faced with a one time, short term crisis. There may be free legal aid and landlord mediation provided. Other assistance may be provided in the form of cash to pay any back rent. Or a non-profit may provide a loan for certain housing expenses or rental costs, which will limit the organizations overall risk as the funds will need to be repaid by the participant.

A key goal of all these Michigan based agencies is on homeless prevention. So while the financial aid is limited, and is based mostly on grants from HUD, there are different resources available. It is recommend to call an agency right away, as soon as you need help. Learn more on preventing homelessness.

The Continuum of Care organizations also partner together to coordinate resources and can provide referrals. So get information on other resources available in Michigan that can prevent the eviction or help the homeless get rehoused.




Michigan non-profits can offer small dollar amounts of rent help to tenants. The terms and conditions will vary, but funding to stop an eviction can come from the Human Services SER program, agencies such as the United Way, and many other sources. Find other additional approaches to get and learn how to get help paying rent from local agencies.

Rehousing and temporary lodging or housing units

Short term housing is often funded as part of the Continuum of Care. This will be emergency shelters as well as transitional housing. These temporary housing programs will also offer homeless individuals with self-sufficiency and case management. Then, when ready to move out, work with a case manager on locating permanent housing in a local town or county. Or get help in applying for security deposit assistance, utility bill connection programs or government benefits such as section 8 housing vouchers.

The so called at risk homeless in Michigan can sometimes get priority from CoC. This means the disabled, youth, or residents with a mental condition may receive assistance as well. It can range from placement into case management, transitional housing centers, or maybe even funds to pay rent to keep them housed in the first place.

Local county-wide eviction assistance programs in Michigan

There are dozens of non-profits listed on this page noted below. For low to moderate income renters from the main counties in the state, they also have local agencies to call for grants, deposit help, and other financial aid for housing needs.







Michigan Continuum of Care agencies for housing assistance

Allegan County

Center for Women in Transition, (616) 392-2829
DHS, (269) 673-7700
ACRDC, (269) 686-2100 or (269) 673-5472


Bay Area Women's Center-Arenac, (989) 846-6333
Michigan Works!, (989) 846-2111


Hancock Housing Commission, 906-482-3252

Barry County

Barry County United Way, (269) 945-4010
Green Gables Haven, (269) 945-4777

Battle Creek/Calhoun

Greater Battle Creek Homeless Coalition of Calhoun County, (269) 441-5904 or dial 269.441.5956
Battle Creek Housing Commission, (269) 965-0591

Bay County

Good Samaritan Rescue Mission, (989) 893-5973
United Way of Bay County, (989) 893-7508


Housing Resource Network, St. Joseph UMC (269) 983-3929
Berrien County Commission, (269) 429-2131
Child & Family Services SW, (269) 925-1725 x 145


Branch County Community Foundation, 517-278-4517
Coldwater Housing Authority, (517) 278-2660






Area Agency on Aging, call (816) 884-4135 or 269-982-7732
This non-profit focuses on helping senior citizens in Michigan, and they may have referrals to emergency financial aid for paying rent for the elderly facing eviction or even information on low income apartment.
Cedar Sands, (269) 782-5734
DHS, (269) 445-0437
Women’s Resource Center of Northern MI, (231) 347-1572
Northwest MI Community Action Agency, (231) 347-9070

Cheboygan County

Dial (231) 627-4319


United Way of EUP, (906) 632-3700
Sault Housing Commission, (906) 635-5841

Clare/Gladwin County

Listening Ear Crisis Center, (989) 773-6904
MMCAA, 989-386-3805
The local community action agency. Not only may funds be available for rental or utility deposits, but other short term and affordable housing is located in the county.


CMHA-CEI, (517) 668-0185
Crawford/Oscoda/Ogemaw/Roscommon (COOR)
Roscommon Housing Commission, (989) 275-8306


MCAH, call (906) 786-7080 or (517) 853-3895
U.P. Kids, (906) 420-1132


HAND, 1-800-552-1183 or (313) 964-3666
Referrals may be available to free legal aid for solving housing challenges, which includes tenants facing eviction or that have a pay or quit notice from their landlord.

Dickinson/Iron County

Evangelical Covenant Church, (906) 282-1687
Northpointe Behavioral Health, (906) 779-0501


Capital Area Community Services, (517) 492-5741


Metro Housing Partnership, (810) 767-4622
My Brothers Keeper, (810) 234-1163
Both rapid rehousing as well as emergency homeless prevention services are available.


Gogebic-Ontonagon CAA, (906) 667-0283 x 12

Grand Rapids/Kent

Heart of West Michigan United Way, Dial  1-800-887-1107 or (616) 752-8644





Greater Grand Traverse (Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau)

United Way partners. The agency can help the disabled, the currently homeless and individuals with a mental challenge or financial hardship. Call -800-887-1107


8Cap, (989) 772-0110
MV Homeless Student Support, (616) 225-6260
Gratiot Co CMH, (989) 466-4159


Community Action Agency, (517) 437-3346


RAVE, (616) 232-3951
Have Mercy, (616) 225-8055
KMG Prestige, (616) 754-5948


Mt Pleasant Housing Commission, (989) 773-3784

Jackson County

Kmartin Works, (517) 392-6231
City of Jackson, (517) 768-6436

Kalamazoo County

LISC, (269) 343-5472
Kalamazoo Department of Human Services, (269) 384-8325


True North Services Family Services (NCCS), (231) 924-0641 x 137
Lake County Gov't, (231) 745-6231


Greater Lansing Homeless Resolution Network, Advent Ministries (517) 485-4722


LACADA, (810) 667-4175


Lenawee Emergency & Afford. Housing Commission, (517) 264-0782
Family Counseling & Children's Services, (517) 265-5352
DHS, (517) 264-6404





Livingston County

Livingston County CoC, (517) 546-4750
Salvation Army of Livingston, (517) 546-4750
Oakland Livingston Human Services Agency, (517) 546-8500
They are the community action agency for the county. Everything from grants to help with paying back rent to funds for security deposits on a new home are available in Livingston and nearby Oakland County.

Macomb County

Macomb Homeless Coalition, (586) 285-0400
Szajna and Associates, (586) 468-1775


Staircase Youth Services, (231) 843-3200
Centra Wellness, (231) 735-5020

Marquette/Alger/ Schoolcraft

Child & Family, (906) 228-4050
Marquette Housing Commission, (906) 225-1900
Marquette/Alger/ Schoolcraft, (906) 226-4618


United Way of Mason, (231) 843-8593
Staircase Youth Services, (231) 843-3200


MOTA, (231) 796-4896


DHS, (906) 863-9965

Midland County

Community Volunteer, (989) 413-9601
Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, (989) 835-6771


Northern Lakes CMH, (231) 876-3262


Monroe Co Opportunity Program, (734) 241-2775
Residents with an eviction notice should call as soon as possible for assistance or referrals.


West Michigan Therapy, (231) 220-2023
Salvation Army, (231) 733-3284


TrueNorth Services Family Services (NCCS), (231) 924-0641 x 137
DHS, (231) 689-5541
The Michigan agency has information on federal and state resources for stopping evictions.

Northeast Michigan (Alcona, Alpena, Iosco, Montmorency, Presque Isle)

Shelter, Inc., (989) 356-2560
Shelter Inc. - Alpena, (989) 657-3119
City of Alpena, (989) 356-1762

Oakland County

Community Housing Network, (248) 269-1302 or dial (248) 928-0111
South Oakland Shelter, (248) 809-3773
The homeless can receive a meal, access to temporary housing, and other aid.


Oceana Housing Commission, (231) 861-5187
Oceana's HOME Partnership, (231) 873-2222

Otsego County

Goodwill of N. MI, (989) 448-2260
Otsego Housing & Homeless Coalition, (989) 705-2428


Ottawa Area Housing Coalition, (616) 738-1170 or (616) 738-4852
Funds, including loans, may be available. There is assistance for very low income families that are facing homelessness.


Saginaw Co Youth Protection Council, (989) 755-0937
United Way- Saginaw, (989) 755-0570

Shiawassee County

Non-profit agency, (517) 339-9871 or dial (989) 397-4467

St. Clair

St. Clair County Mental Health, (810) 966-7830
Blue Water Developmental Housing, (810) 388-1200

St. Joseph County

Keystone Place, (269) 467-9081 or (269) 467-7078
Salvation Army, (269) 651-4275
Shelter, emergency funds for security deposits, clothing, and other support services are available.





Thumb Area (Huron, Sanilac, Tuscola)

KLH Communications, (989) 551-0451
Human Development Community, (810) 673-4121
Sanilac County Community Foundation, (810) 648-3634

Van Buren County
Allegan Housing Resource Center, (269) 686-2100 or (269) 673-0501
Van Buren CMH, (269) 655-3336

Washtenaw County

Washtenaw Housing Alliance, (734) 222-3575
Washtenaw County Office of Community & Economic Development, (734) 622-9007 or dial (734) 544-6748

Wayne County

Wayne-Metro CAA, In the city of Detroit, call 313-388-9799. Tenants in other parts of the county need to dial 734-284-6999.
Numerous services are available in the Detroit Michigan area. They range from counseling to emergency grants or monetary assistance for a partial rent payment. However the goal is to prevent homelessness in the first place, or rehouse impacted residents if it is too late.

By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You















Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site