Steuben County assistance programs.
Locate information on various non-profit agencies, charities, and church organizations in Steuben County and Bath New York. Programs provide help for various bills and expenses, including utility bills, rent, access to free food, and more. There are also resources ranging from free medical care to gas vouchers, job placement, and other services. Many of these agencies also cover the Yates region.
Financial assistance for bills and expenses
The Salvation Army of Penn Yan, Steuben and Yates Countyoffers several various services and assistance programs to people who need help. Yates County is 315-789-1055 and Steuben County is 607-962-4681.
- Food pantries and soup kitchens - Most locations offer food services and groceries to help the hungry and low income people looking for their next meal.
- Rent assistance, shelters, and transitional housing - Families and individuals who are either facing an eviction and who need help paying rent, those who are currently homeless, and people looking for a new home may be able to find support.
- Utility assistance - The Salvation Army may have limited financial assistance that can be used to help individuals and families pay their water, gas and electric bills. Additional funding may be available around the holiday times.
- Holiday assistance - Qualified families may be able to receive holiday meals and free Christmas gifts as well as school supplies.
- Several other resources are offered. Find details on Salvation Army in Elmira.
Yates County Department of Social Services is one of the leading agencies to contact. They administer several New York and federal government assistance programs. The services that people can learn more about and apply for include. Email them at [email protected]
- Heating and utility bills - The federal government created Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), and the program can provide both regular grants for paying heating and cooling bills, and there is also an emergency component that can be used if someone is facing a disconnection of their service.
- Family assistance - The Family Assistance (FA) program provides grants and cash assistance to needy families that include a minor child living with a parent.
The last option and place to go to for help is Pro Action of Steuben & Yates, Inc. This is the local community action agency. Call them at (607) 776-2125. This non-profit organization both runs some of its own programs, and they are also a great place to turn to for information on other local charities and services.
- Christmas for the Needy Program - This programs helps hundreds of people every year by providing them with clothing, free food, holiday gifts, and gift certificates. Click here for additional information on Christmas programs.
- Senior programs - they offer several assistance programs for seniors, including information on health care programs, insurance, and food assistance.
Other programs and services offered by Pro Action of Steuben & Yates, Inc. include the Food $en$e Program, Home Services, Office for the Aging: Information and Referral Services, Caregiver Support Program and other options. More on assistance programs from Pro Action of Steuben and Yates.
Catholic Charities Of Steuben - Provides assistance to working poor and low-income families with prescription medications, utility shutoffs, transportation, food, clothing, school supplies, and more. Social workers can also contact your utility company to work out a payment plan. 23 Liberty Street, Bath, New York 14810, call (607) 776-8085.
Catholic Charities Turning Point Hornell offers many of the same resources. This charity/church is at 20 Elm Street in Hornell, New York 14843. Telephone number is (607) 324-3457.
Steuben County Department Of Social Services offers short term aid, but importantly will work with the low income to help them build skills and gain self-sufficiency. The organization provides financial assistance to families and individuals who are facing possible homelessness including utility and rent payment assistance, funds for deposits, and even help for moving costs. There is also financial help for those waiting on SSI, case management, and job programs. Social services may also facilitate help with paying back rent and energy bills. (607) 776-7611
Both non-profits and the government may offer rent or housing assistance. In most cases, an applicant will need an eviction notice. The financial aid is limited and will often come in the form of a grant. Other services may include mediation and referrals to transitional housing in Steuben County. Find details on rent assistance in Chemung and Steuben County.
Corning Salvation Army - Call to learn about any temporary financial assistance to help working families. Some aid may be offered to those qualified applicants who are faced with emergency situations including delinquency rent, utility and heating bill assistance, and medications. Free gasoline vouchers can also be offered for interviews or to help people get back and forth from work. Read more on gas vouchers, or stop by 32 Denison Parkway East, Corning, NY 14830, (607) 962-4681
Steuben County Office For The Aging (SCOFA) – Apply for HEAP here. This government program can assist with furnace repairs as well as winter heating or summer cooling bills. Other resources include food, home delivered meals, and information on medical bill assistance including Medicare. (607) 664-2298
Food pantries in Steuben County
Bath Community Food Pantry offers free groceries, holiday meals, and more. Baby food/formula and diapers may be offered too. The non-profit helps to meet the nutritional needs of families. (607) 776-4575
The Shepherd's Cupboard is located at 33 Church Street in Savona, New York 14879, call (607) 346-1778.
Loaves and Fishes Food Pantry of Hammondsport New York. Call (607) 569-3639. Provides fresh food, staples, and help to individuals in need.
Prattsburgh Emergency Food Pantry – Phone (607) 522-3499
Buena Vista Wesleyan Church Food Pantry. Address is 6034 County Road 69, Canisteo, NY 14823, call (607) 698-4484 for intake.
Alfred Area Food Pantry – Telephone (607) 587-9176
Affordable medical and health care
Bath Community Health Center provides low cost or free comprehensive primary medical, pregnancy and dental services to the community of Steuben County at large. (607) 776-3063. Find more New York community clinics.
Health Ministry Of The Southern Tier - Bath Community Care Center runs a number of programs. The center will distribute prescription assistance, including insulin supplies and additional medical supplies/equipment. Also get limited primary dental and medical care including physicals for work, school, and sports. 23 Liberty Street, Bath, New York 14810, call (607) 962-2032