latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Eviction prevention and rehousing programs in Wisconsin.

Tenants threatened by an eviction in Wisconsin will get help as well as homeless people. Locate non-profit organizations that funds from the federal government Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) for assisting with rental costs, rapid rehousing programs, and homeless prevention. Tenants will also get help from Job Access Loans, Continuum of Care, or funds from W-2. Find eviction prevention programs in Wisconsin.

There are several options available for residents facing an eviction or some other form of homelessness in Wisconsin. The goal is to offer emergency help to low-income tenants to keep their in their current home or apartment or rehouse single adults, or families, into a more affordable home. Tenants will get help either stopping or delaying an eviction in Wisconsin.

The objective of all of these programs is to help a qualified resident pay their rent, mortgage or security deposit. However in most instances the applicant needs to be working or in some form of job training, as Wisconsin attempts to solve the cause of the hardship.

Financial help to stop an eviction in WI

Cash assistance to tenants facing eviction may be provided by Wisconsin Works W-2. The funds from this program are available for certain expenses, maybe even including back rent. Clients will need to be conducting a job search, in training or meet other conditions.

Families that meet qualifications, including facing imminent eviction or that are currently homeless, may receive help from the state of Wisconsin as a form of Emergency Assistance. This will mostly be for low income qualified families with a child, including single parents or mothers. All funds issued are for addressing housing related matters, which can stop homelessness.

Grants are used to help keep people in their apartment or home. For those that are homeless, or can't afford their current home or apartment, the funds can be used for rehousing expenses, including first month's rent, moving, or a security deposit. Many cities are also supported to Wisconsin families in a crisis, and they can all apply for emergency rental assistance.




In order to qualify for EA (Emergency Assistance), families must be facing a crisis. This can include impending homelessness (such as eviction or foreclosure), energy bill disconnection, fire, homelessness, flood or some form of natural disaster. Various conditions are in place, and the family needs to be out of all other options.

Another possible option is a JAL - Job Access Loans. This was created in Wisconsin in an effort to help people keep their employment, or find a new job. If someone is out of options, and does not have any other funding available to them, then a loan may be issued for paying certain bills. While a local W-2 agency oversees this process and can deny anyone assistance or restrict their usage, in some cases housing expenses such as energy bills, rent, or similar costs can be paid by JAL. If a renter needs information on other options, they can find low interest rate loans, including those that do not require a credit check.

Other resources in the state include ESG. This is an annual federal government allotment for the state of Wisconsin and other regions of the country. While the terms of the program in each county will vary, in general grants can be accessed by tenants facing eviction, or maybe a homeowner with a foreclosure notice. Any funds issued will be one time only and will often require case management and other support.

While all resources from any Wisconsin agency or program are limited, each center or non-profit will do its best to keep people housed. So services or referrals can range from grants (as noted above), mediation services, counseling, or short term loans. People who are struggling should request help as soon as possible, as soon as their housing crisis becomes apparent.

Rapid rehousing Wisconsin

The homeless in Wisconsin may also be able to access emergency homeless shelters or short term housing. This may be funded by state resources or federal government programs, such as the Continuum of Care. Clients of the center can access self-sufficiency programs, food, meals, job training and more. As a client gains stability and is prepared to leave a facility, they can explore possible financial aid, such as funds for paying a rent on a new, low income apartment.





Homeless prevention also includes rehousing. The goal is to help someone that was evicted, or that is currently homeless, gain permanent, stable housing as soon as possible. This includes a low cost apartment, job placement or training, credit repair services for tenants with bad credit, and more. There is also HUD Housing first in Wisconsin as well as long term section 8 vouchers for rehousing into an apartment, or look here for apartments no waiting list.

Local Wisconsin agencies for homeless prevention

The main homeless prevention and rapid rehousing programs by city, town and county are immediately below. They all offer different forms of support, whether free legal aid, grants to pay back rent or a mortgage, moving or deposit help or more. Or scroll down the page for more Wisconsin eviction and homeless prevention resources.

Ashland, Bayfield and Iron Counties, Workforce Resource, 422 Third Street, Ashland, WI 54806, dial (715) 682-4889 or 855-792-5439.

Barron County, Workforce Resource, 331 South Main Street, Suite 6, Rice Lake, WI 54868. Phone (715) 234-6302Eviction prevention and rehousing Wisconsin

Brown County

  • For military personnel, the Department Of Veterans Affairs, Northeast Wisconsin, 2851 University Avenue, Green Bay, WI 54311 Dial (920) 431-2323 or 920-431-2500. The center runs the HUD VASH housing and rental assistance program.
  • Forward Service Corporation,  726 Pine St, Green Bay, WI 54301, telephone number is (920) 940-6066
  • Integrated Community Solutions - Leaving Homelessness Behind, 2605 South Oneida Street Suite 106, Green Bay, WI 54304, dial (920) 498-3737

Chippewa County, Workforce Resource, 2829 County Highway I, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729. Call 715-723-2248

Clark County Job Center, 501 Hewett Street, Neillsville, WI 54456, (715) 743-4631

Crawford County, 200 East Blackhawk Avenue, Prairie du Chien, WI 53821. Call (608) 326-0423

Dunn County, 401 Technology Drive East, Suite 200, Menomonie, WI 54751, dial (715) 232-7360

Columbia County, The American Legion Department, 2930 American Legion Dr, Portage, WI 53901-0388, dial (608) 745-1090. This housing and grant program is for veterans.




Crawford County, 225 North Beaumont Road, Suite 116, Prairie du Chien, WI 53821, call (608) 326-2239

Dane County veterans can contact the Wisconsin Department Of Veterans Affairs, 201 West Washington Avenue, Madison, WI 53707, dial (608) 266-1311. There is also rent and eviction help from DHS agencies or partners.

Douglas County, 1805 North 14th Street, Suite 1, Superior, WI 54880, dial (715) 392-7800 or 855-792-5439.

Eau Claire County, 221 West Madison Street, Suite 140-A, Eau Claire, WI 54703, (715) 858-9675

Fillmore County

  • SEMCAC office at 515 Washington Street Northwest, Preston, MN 55965, (507) 765-2761
  • Another SEMCAC homeless prevention program is from 204 South Elm Street, Rushford, MN 55971, (507) 864-2440

Grant County, Southwestern Wisconsin Community Action Program (SWCAP), 402 Johnson Street, Boscobel, WI 53805, dial (800) 704-8555

Houston County, SEMCAC, Houston County Field Office138 East Main Street. Call (507) 725-3677

Jackson County, 24 Filmore, Black River Falls, WI 54615, main phone (715) 284-7117

Juneau County work connection center - Address is 1000 College Avenue, Workforce Connections, Mauston, WI 53948, dial (800) 742-5627

Kenosha County, Kenosha County Department of Human Services, 8600 Sheridan Rd. Phone (262) 653-1967 or (262) 695-7931

La Crosse County, Workforce Connections, Inc., 402 North 8th Street 3rd Floor, La Crosse, WI 54601, main phone 608.789.5620

Milwaukee County

  • America Works Of Wisconsin, Inc., 1915 N Martin Luther King Dr.. Dial (414) 267-3900
  • Maximus, address is 4201 N 27th St, Milwaukee, WI 53216. Call (414) 203-8500. The non-profit may have emergency funds for a deposit, counseling services, or rental help.
  • Ross Innovative Employment Solutions is located at 7800 W. Brown Deer Road, Milwaukee, WI 53223. Call (414) 760-6060
  • United Migrant Opportunity Services, 2701 S Chase, (414) 389-6600. Other programs can also be used. Whether the client is homeless and needs housing or a motel voucher, or if a grant is required, find more details.

Monroe County, Couleecap, Inc. - Community Action Program, 217 North Black River Street, Jones Plaza Sparta, WI 54656, dial (608) 269-5021





Monroe County Workforce Connections has loans, homeless prevention and more from 1310 Townline Rd, Tomah, WI 54660. Call (608) 374-7740

Pepin County Center is at 403 3rd Ave W, Durand, WI 54736, telephone number is (715) 672-8801

Pierce County, 704 N Main St, River Falls, WI 54022, dial (715) 426-0388

Polk County center is at 317A Main St, Balsam Lake, WI 54810. Call (715) 485-3115

Racine County Human Services Department, 1320 S Green Bay Rd Ste C, Racine, WI 53406. Call (262) 633-6000. There are many other CoC affiliated organizations to try for support too.

Rusk County, Workforce Resource, 522 Service Rd, Spooner, WI 54801, (715) 635-2175

Saint Croix County, West CAP, 525 2nd Street, Glenwood City, WI 54013, dial (800) 606-9227 or (715) 598-4750

Trempealeau County, Workforce Connections, Inc., 36084 Walnut Street, Western Technical College, Independence, WI 54747, dial (715) 985-2335

Vernon County, 220 South Main, Viroqua, WI 54665, dial (608) 789-5620 or (608) 637-2996.

Waukesha County - A few local non-profits as well as social service agencies can help stop evictions. They also involve attorneys to represent a family in housing court. Community Action is 2717 N Grandview Blvd # 303, Waukesha, WI 53188. Phone: (608) 237-1255

Winona County, SEMCAC, 420 E Sarnia St # 1600, Winona, MN 55987, call (507) 452-8396


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site