Wilmington and New Castle County Delaware Salvation Army assistance programs.
Wilmington families that are struggling or who need referrals can contact their local Salvation Army center. The non-profit administers social services and emergency assistance programs (for rent, food, utilities and more) from offices across the state, including in New Castle County Delaware. The Wilmington Salvation Army also has thrift stores, school supplies, free clothes or Christmas toys and other services for the low income.
Emergency financial assistance programs
Casework intervention and help dealing with a crisis is available to qualified families, individuals, and seniors. Financial assistance is also offered in Wilmington from a couple resources. The main options include the Good Neighbor Energy Fund (GNEF), the Needy Family Fund as well as emergency food. While the resources available are limited, there are even more restrictions in place for basic needs such as rent, foreclosure counseling, prescriptions, and transportation.
The main utility assistance program is the Good Neighbor Energy Fund. This can help Wilmington residents with paying their natural gas, light and electric bills. People can only apply at most once per year. There could be exceptions made for individuals who are age 60 and over. In order to qualify, clients need to meet conditions. This includes meet income levels and they also need to have a disconnect notice or an old unpaid utility bill that must be paid prior to moving into a new address in Delaware. More on Good Neighbor Fund or other emergency utility bill help in Delaware.
There are other components to the Salvation Army and Delmarva Power Good Neighbor Energy Fund. They include that low income or senior clients who are also a Medicaid recipient, or that have one in their household, will need to apply for the Emergency Assistance Fund through a State Service Center. They need to do this before applying for energy assistance from the GNEF. Individuals who are not on public or government assistance apply at the Wilmington Salvation Army. The Division of State in Delaware and their Service Centers handle clients on public aid such as TANF, ABC, GA or SSI. Call (302) 472-0750 for information or to apply for the Good Neighbor Energy Fund.
Another local Salvation Army program is the Needy Family Fund. It can help people meet a financial crisis. Any type of emergency aid is focused on rent, mortgage payments, electric or gas bills, heating oil, propane or water. The Wilmington County Family Service Department also provides assistance in the form of free food and toys during the Christmas season.
Each year that the Salvation Army either directly provides, or does through referrals, help to thousands of families. It encompasses everything from food, clothing and shoes to emergency rent or utility assistance. In addition to those more so called material services, the Christmas Assistance Program provides additional support during the cold winter months with hot meals, holiday food baskets, clothing and gifts.
Salvation Army free programs for the low income
There are a few programs that provide free items to needy families, single moms, the low income, and struggling households. They may be seasonal, such as during the summer or winer months, or the free services may be year round. The Salvation Army resources are below.
- During the fall, there are Thanksgiving meals, turkeys, and dinner services.
- Summer months and fall programs include back to school supplies, uniforms, backpacks, and support for students.
- Christmas help is wide ranging. The Wilmington Salvation Army has Angel Tree, toys, gift cards, vouchers, and similar programs.
- Or, as noted, there is year round help in New Castle County as well that the Salvation Army may provide. This may be furniture, food, hot meals, and other assistance. A main service is the free food pantry in New Castle County.
Salvation Army programs for the elderly in New Castle County
Senior centers are also available in Wilmington. So in addition to the vibrant youth, teenager and social service programs, the Salvation Army help the elderly and homebound in the community. They are heavily involved in providing activities designed specifically for women and men aged 50 and above. Activities and assistance ranges from food, home delivered meals, and financial support. Other activities are more social in nature and can be line dancing, card games, or organized trips.
Referrals are also given to senior citizens. The New Castle Salvation Army partners with Agency on Aging centers, the government and local non-profits in the city on medical care, food, Meals on Wheels and more. Even find other senior assistance in Delaware.
Apply for Wilmington area Salvation Army programs
Many of these programs are run from different offices in the state and across New Castle County. The primary phone numbers are below. They offer financial help, access to ow cost thrift stories, food, drug counseling and other social services.
- Children's Services can be reached at (302) 472-0712
- Community Center is a location at (302) 472-0713
- CROSSROADS - Welfare to Work Program. (302) 472-0741
- Emergency Shelter/Transition Housing Residence in Wilmington - (203) 472-0760
- Family Services, which offers most of the financial aid. Call (302) 472-0750
- Senior Center. (302) 472-0770
- Salvation Army partnership with Community Employment Options - Supported Employment. The office is at 105 A Rogers Road, Wilmington, DE 19801. Dial (302) 654-5003
- Adult Rehabilitation Center, 107 S. Market Street, Wilmington, DE 19801. Call (302) 654-8808
- Delaware Regional Salvation Army Facility is based at 400 N. Orange Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19801. Main number is (302) 472-0700