Sumter County Florida assistance programs.
Find how to get everything from free food from a pantry to financial help for paying bills, rent, or energy costs from churches, charities, or the government. There are several charities and non-profits available in Sumnter County, each of which can help a low income or struggling family. Whether it is medical care, a grant or cash loan, transportation, or something else, assistance is available.
Free medical care and health care services
The Lazarus Free Medical Clinic provides free medical care to Sumter County residents, in particular the uninsured or underinsured working poor.
The main goal of the LFMC is to improve the health of those who are struggling and to promote wellness and to provide caring, free, high quality medical care, preventive health education to disadvantaged migrant workers, specialty referral services, and the working poor and mid income families of Sumter County Florida. Guiding principles for the free Clinic operations include:
- Give high quality medical care for poor, disadvantaged, and the under served population.
- Serve diverse populations, regardless of religion, sex, or other criteria.
- Refer people to government health and dental programs.
Call Lazarus Free Medical Clinic at 352-748-4567.
Financial support for bills, debts, and expenses in Sumter County Florida
Sumter and Bushnell Florida are served by the Mid Florida Community Services, Inc., which may be the leading agency to call for counseling and financial help. To highlight some of the financial assistance offered includes the following.
- Senior citizen support - With many elderly retiring to the Florida area, the agency can help those. Learn about programs, whether government or local non-profits, that are targeted towards the elderly and retired in Bushnell and Sumter County Florida.
- LIHEAP - Grants from the federal government can help pay utilities.
- Transportation - The disabled and seniors can receive transportation and car rides to doctor appointment, job interviews, and for other emergency appointment.
- Community block grants - Community action agencies across Florida and the nation can offer block grants. The one in Sumter County can focus on helping with energy bills, housing, prescription medications and certain housing expenses related to obtaining/maintaining employment, job training or education services and support. Learn more on community action agencies and the type of support they provide to qualified individuals.
Salvation Army of Sumter County as well as Bushnell is always a good place to call for advice and support. Programs are created for the low income, working poor, unemployed, and others who need financial aid or case management. The phone number is 352-365-0079 or (352) 568-2284.
Every now and then a very limited amount of support may be provided for the low income in the form of emergency food, funds for utilities and rent, free food and other support. The Salvation Army also gives out free Thanksgiving meals or Christmas food baskets, window fans, toys, back to school supplies and more. Services are in Spanish and English. More on Sumter County Salvation Army assistance programs.
Love Inc. of the Heart of Florida is a faith based, volunteer run charitable organization. They give referrals to dozens of local churches in the region. Find where there are resources such as food pantries or soup kitchens; employment or Life Skills Training; furniture for a new home or apartment; free or low cost car repairs from volunteer mechanics and more. Continue with assistance programs from Love Inc of the Heart of Florida.
United Way of Sumter County funds local non-profits and charities, and they know of many resources for the low income, disabled, and others in the area. Phone number is 352-787-7530.
Housing and rent programs - Several organizations in Sumter County focus just on housing issues. Some of the agencies or charities are listed above, but tenants and the homeless have other options as well. Whether it is a grant, loan, or some other form of support, find a list of Sumter County rent assistance programs.