latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Springfield Massachusetts area rental assistance.

Find how to get rent assistance in Springfield, Holyoke, and Hampden County Massachusetts. Several non-profit charity organizations, churches or government agencies focus on offering emergency rental assistance, security deposits, and eviction prevention.

If you are facing eviction or at the risk of being homeless, or if you need rehousing assistance, find help below. Get information on the Hampden County agencies, government programs, and charities to call or apply at for emergency rent assistance, grants or loans to pay for housing. Services offered to the low income range from Section 8 housing to homeless prevention and rapid rehousing. Cash assistance, emergency grants, free counseling, legal aid and referrals to local or regional rental programs are also provided to qualified applicants.

Salvation Army social services in Hampden County
There are several locations. Each has their own programs and resources, including financial help for rent, homeless shelters, free motel vouchers and more. Some even can have free furniture or arrange rent subsidized, affordable housing for seniors or other clients.

  • Athol Corps Salvation Army - Offers various financial and other assistance programs. One is an emergency rent payment assistance plan. Others include money for energy and heating bills, food, and housing counseling. Located at 107 Ridge Avenue, Athol, Massachusetts 02454. Dial (978) 249-8111
  • Springfield location - The main office is at 170 Pearl Street, Springfield, MA 01101-0971. Call (413) 733-1518. There may be free motel vouchers, funds for rent or utility bills, shelters and other social services.
  • Salvation Army-Holyoke – Stop by or call to apply for utility, rent, and housing counseling and support. 271 Appleton Street, Holyoke, Massachusetts 01040, phone number (413) 532-6312
  • Fitchburg Community Center – Call for emergency eviction prevention advice and help with paying both current and back rent, as well as security deposits. 739 Water Street, Fitchburg, MA 01420, phone (978) 342-3300
  • Westfield Salvation Army – Call them for rent assistance. Other services include holiday baskets, food pantries, and general advice and support.  Call :(413) 568-1256 or (413) 532-6310.




Valley Opportunity Council – A non-profit that offers families numerous low income housing and rental assistance programs. The Valley Opportunity Council, Inc. (VOC) is a local community action agency that provides a number of programs and opportunities for low and moderate income residents of the Greater Hampden County Massachusetts area. Address is 300 High Street, Holyoke, Massachusetts 01040, Dial (413) 552-1554.

Springfield Assistance Office of Housing ((413) 7876500) and the Chicopee Office of Community Development ((413) 594-1490) all run the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. This was created from federal government stimulus dollars. It covers all aspects of a low income families or individuals housing needs.

Support is really for people faced with a short term hardship, and who can get back on track after a limited amount of help. Grants and money can pay for security deposits, back and current rent, and utilities, among other expenses. In addition, get other support, such as budgeting, credit counseling, debt reduction, and referrals.

HAP Inc. – This is one of the leading agencies to call for help in the Hampden County Massachusetts region.  They offer a large number of low income assistance programs. This includes rent help, low income housing, referrals to local charities and non-profits, and much more. The primary objective is to work with people to get them back on track over the long term, so they are self sufficient over time. Stop by the office at 322 Main Street, Springfield, Massachusetts 01105, or dial (413) 233-1500.





Ware Community Development Department – The local community action agency. Call for referrals to housing and rent assistance. The non-profit organization supports the unemployed and working poor, and can offer short term grants and financial aid for rent, housing expenses, and more. Address - 126 Main Street, Ware, Massachusetts 01082. Call (413) 967-7136

Springfield Partners for Community Action runs an Eviction Clinic. Counseling, advice and free support is offered for tenants that are behind on their rent and facing eviction. Staff also try to mediate a solution between the tenant and the landlord. Dial (413) 263-6500. More details on Springfield Partners for Community Action assistance programs.

Hampden County Legal Clinic can help tenants facing eviction (or homeowners facing foreclosure). Free lawyers, and their staffs, can represent clients in eviction court. They can give advice on applying for section 8 housing benefits, government grants for paying rent, offer landlord-tenant mediation services and other support. The address is 50 State St, Springfield, MA 01103. Call the pro-bono at (413) 733-6500.

Hampden County Tenancy Preservation Program - This is a statewide housing assistance program for the disabled and those low income residents with a mental issue. The state tries to find a solution to a housing crisis or an upcoming eviction. Phone number is (413) 734-5376.

Council of Churches of Greater Springfield may have financial support, emergency loans to pay a portion of grant, counseling, and referrals. The charity and its staff can help with utility companies and landlords to deal with unpaid energy bill or rent. The office is at 39 Oakland Street in Springfield. The main phone number is (413) 733 - 2149

Catholic Charities, located at 254 Bridge Street in Springfield, MA 01103, from time to time will have money to pay out towards rent. Most money is reserved for individuals facing a short term crisis, and who also have an eviction notice. The regional Catholic Charities provides rent payment assistance, housing search and information, details on government assistance (state and federal benefits), and help for utilities. Priority is for people who are currently experiencing a court eviction case. Phone (413) 452-0605. There is also a Diocese of Worcester as well as Southbridge, MA. Dial (508) 765-5936

New England Farm Workers’ Council also offers Housing as well as Shelter Support. There are multiple offices, including below. There is eviction help, referrals to grants to help with back rent, emergency homeless shelters, and other services across the Hampden County region.

  • 225 High Street, 4th Floor, Holyoke, MA 01040, Dial 413-536-5403
  • 288 Oak Street, Holyoke, MA 01040. Call 413-536-2787
  • Another office is at 2702 Main Street, Springfield, MA 01107. Main number is 413-214-7221
  • New England Farm Workers Fuel Assistance – They may be able to refer individuals to local non-profits in Springfield for housing support. Location is 1666 Main Street, Springfield, Massachusetts 01103, telephone (413) 272-2209







Countywide homeless prevention includes help for tenants, homeowners, and the homeless among others. Whether cash grants for back rent or utilities, free motel vouchers, transitional housing, shelters, or security deposit help, resources are offered. More on Hampden County and Springfield homeless prevention programs.

YWCA of Western Massachusetts – Offers emergency rent assistance and grants. Other programs may include shelter or information on transitional housing centers. The non-profit charity may also offer some loans for housing, rent, and deposit expenses. 1 Clough Street, Springfield, MA 01118, (413) 732-3121.

Friends of the Homeless is mostly a homeless shelter, but they also offer referrals. There are separate homeless shelter for women and men. But once the client is stabilized (working, has income, etc.) they may offer referrals to security or first months rent help, the Housing first program, and other aid. Phone (413) 732-3069.

Hampden County Massachusetts Housing Agencies

These four locations can help people apply for section 8 housing vouchers. There are also public housing resources, family Self-Sufficiency, home buying resources and more. Or these agencies provide information on rent and housing programs or local income apartments. Call or stop by for information.

  • Springfield Housing Authority - 25 Saab Court, Springfield, Massachusetts 01101. Cal (413) 785-4500 or (413) 785-4517.
  • Stockbridge Housing Authority - 5 Pine Street, P.O. Box 419, Stockbridge, MA 01262, (413) 298-3222
  • Ware Housing Authority - 20 Valley View, Ware, Massachusetts 01082, (413) 967-4477
  • West Springfield Housing Authority - 37 Oxford Place, West Springfield, MA 01089, (413) 788-0988
  • Office for Community Development is the PHA for Holyoke. They process applications for section 8 rent subsidies at 475 Maple Street, Holyoke, 01040. The number is (413) 539-2220

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page