Somerset County Maine assistance programs.
Financial assistance programs
Maine Department of Health and Human Services offers the following services and assistance programs. They run the TANF/Food stamp program, offer health care and medical assistance including MaineCare and CubCare, emergency assistance for paying bills such as utility and rent, ASPIRE, information and referral; Child Support and Recovery. Skowhegan Maine 474-4800.
HealthReach Network - They provide the following. Heating bill assistance, Healthy foods; nutrition education; TANF program, parents of infants get breast feeding support or iron fortified infant formula; referrals for health care, parenting help, free food and groceries from food banks, day care, food stamps, transportation assistance, and clothing assistance; in the summer, vouchers are given for fresh fruits, food and vegetables from Maine farmers. Somerset County residents can turn to this agency. Dial 474-7463
General assistance from your town. Each town in Maine is required to offer its residents temporary financial assistance with fuel expenses, utilities, free food, housing and rent help, non-elective medical necessities, medications and prescriptions, and basic services essential to maintain a household. Call your town office and refer to the program. Click here to learn more.
The local Somerset County community action agency is the Somerset/Kennebec Valley Community Action Program. Yes, they are served by this agency. Some of the programs offered include:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). It is an assistance program that provides a heating bill assistance credit one time per heating season to low income individuals.
- Food - They work with the federal government to distribute food to local Somerset County Maine families.
- Emergency Crisis Intervention Program can be used in an emergency for someone facing a disconnection of heating or utility service, or if they run out of food. Learn more on heating programs, such as LIHEAP.
- Appliance Replacement Program - This could possibly replace someone refrigerator.
- Information - Get advice and information on local charities, non-profits, and Maine and federal government programs.
Call the community action agency at (207) 859-1643. Or read more.
Food and other non-financial aid
Norridgewock Community Food Cupboard - The center runs a food pantry and provides free or low cost clothing. 634-4116. Norridgewock Maine
People Who Care Food Cupboard - Located in Madison Maine. Offers food, groceries, and aid to families and individuals who are in an emergency. Call 696-9294