latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Shelby, Brown, Decatur, and Jackson County assistance programs.

Resources for financial assistance

Town and county general relief funds – These are offered in all towns and cities in the region. State law requires that qualified low income and working poor families receive some type of support from their local municipality. The assistance offered is fairly wide ranging and can include everything from rent to energy bills. Other resources include food, assistance with burial costs and some basic medical or health care. To learn more call your local town trustee. A few examples of some towns in Shelby and Brown County are below.

  • Brandywine Township Trustee, Fairland, Indiana 46126, call (317) 835-4445
  • Hanover Township Trustee, 8849 North Blue River Road, Morristown, IN 46161, phone (765) 763-6415
  • Moral Township Trustee, 6295 North London Road, Fairland, IN 46126, call (317) 835-7572
  • Jackson Township Trustee, 5765 Carmel Ridge Road, Nashville, Indiana 47448, (812) 988-1013
  • Adams Township Trustee is located in Decatur County. Address is 3420 West County Road 500 North
    Greensburg, IN 47240, phone (812) 663-7272
  • Fugit Township Trustee, 4985 North County Road 80 North East, Greensburg, IN 47240, dial (812) 662-8895
  • Grassy Fork Township Trustee, 4863 South State Road 39, Brownstown, IN 47220, call (812) 358-5150
  • Vernon Township Trustee, 510 Moore Street, Crothersville, Indiana 47229, main number is (812) 793-2188

Human Services supports several regions including Shelby and Decatur County. The center may have financial assistance for emergency needs.

-Heating bills may be paid for, including heating oil, wood, coal, and other fuel types. Reconnection fees will not be paid.

-Rent and housing assistance may be offered from both local and federal government programs. This can include federal government section 8 housing vouchers. There is usually an extensive waiting list in place for any type of rental support, in particular for section 8. For more details click here.




-Often offered at the same time as energy assistance is weatherization. This will help local Indiana families save money on their heating and cooling bills. It can pay for improvements such as additional attic insulation, weather-stripping, and caulking.

-Meet with a representative for information or referral. Learn about other social service programs in Shelby and Brown County as well. They can even assist eligible persons with gaining access to them.

Human Services has offices around the region but one of the main centers is at 825 South Elm Street
Shelbyville, IN 46176. Call (317) 398-3153

Salvation Army Shelbyville Corps can help with emergency needs, including food. The non-profit assists families and individuals in Shelby County Indiana with other basic needs such as clothing, medical supplies, clothing, household items, housing costs, personal grooming items, and more. Any type of financial assistance or goods passed out are done so on a case-by-case basis and may be in the form of a referral voucher to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. 136 East Washington Street, Shelbyville, IN 46176, call (317) 398-7421. Find more Decatur and Jackson Salvation Army.

South Central Community Action Program offers financial assistance and cash grants for paying heating bills through the federal government funded Energy Assistance Program and Weatherization Program. They also run the Section 8 vouchers for the poor and seniors in the city/county. Provides case management and other advice from a Self Sufficiency program for Brown County residents. The non-profit may have bus passes too. A free air conditioner can be provided only by doctor's referral for cooling during the summer. (800) 850-7262

There is also a Brown County center at 168 South Jefferson Street., Nashville, IN 47448, call (812) 988-7019. This location may have many of the same programs as indicated above. They may have a Christmas assistance resource, school supplies and lunch bags.





Crothersville Baptist Church only supports local residents. May have emergency financial assistance for utilities, rent, and prescription medications. (812) 793-2512

Clinics and medical centers

Community Health Network - Shelbyville Wellness Center is a low cost clinic for students and their uninsured adult family members. Any sick care provided is free to students and siblings. (317) 421-3931

Shelby Community Health Center can provide free medical care to low-income and uninsured persons in Shelby County. Examples of services offered include treatment of illness, assessment and chronic diseases management. Or receive physicals (work, school, and sports), and prescription medication assistance. The clinic is at 1640 East State Road 44, Suite B or call (317) 392-3779.

Decatur County Community Health Care Clinic – May offer some low cost medical care. 415 Montgomery Road, Greensburg, IN 47240. Call (812) 663-7707

Windrose Health Network Trafalgar Family Health Center can be reached at (317) 878-2301. There is also an Edinburgh Family Health Center that offers an extensive array of medical and health services. Some examples include complete physical exams, Immunizations, flu shots, Behavioral health services, lab work, and Diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis care. Call (812) 526-9999 for information or an appointment. Or find more Indiana clinics.

Free food pantries and non-financial aid

Brown County Mother's Cupboard Community Kitchen is located at 5306 State Road 135 North, Nashville, Indiana 47448. Call (812) 988-8038.

Society Of Saint Vincent De Paul Society Of Brown County offers a number of programs and social services. They may have food, Christmas and holiday meals, clothing, and holiday gifts for children too. Call (812) 988-8821. Read Saint Vincent De Paul assistance.

First Baptist Church Of Shelbyville offers a food pantry for people who attend church. Groceries and other perishable goods may be offered. 14 West Broadway Street, Shelbyville, IN 46176, call (317) 392-2729

Brown County Community Closet offers clothing and household goods for free or low cost. Those who are low income may qualify for free items while others will need to pay a minimal fee. In a crisis, as a last resort, may have money for utility bills. (812) 988-6003

Shepherd Of The Hills Lutheran Church is located in Morgantown. (812) 988-8057

Decatur County Ecumenical Agape Center offers canned goods, perishable items, baby formula and more. 833 North Lincoln Street, Greensburg, IN 47240. Phone (812) 222-4273.





Decatur County Family YMCA - (812) 663-9622

Crothersville Baptist Church Clothes Cottage and Food Pantry runs a food bank twice per month. Free items may be offered. The center also provides diapers and personal hygiene items to individuals in need. Donations are always needed. (812) 793-2512

Anchor House can provide emergency food assistance in Jackson County Indiana region. 250 South Vine Street, Seymour, IN 47274. Call (812) 522-9308

First Church Of God Food Pantry of Seymour. Call (812) 522-8886.

I Care Ministries, Seymour Harvest Church can be called at (812) 522-3918.

Community Provisions Of Jackson County. Call (812) 522-7079


By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You















Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site