latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Energy Bill Assistance

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescription Drugs

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Paying Bills

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


San Jose and Santa Clara County rent assistance.

A variety of rental assistance programs are offered in San Jose and Santa Clara County California. Low income individuals and families can call and apply for help. Find a list of non-profits, charities, churches and government programs listed below that may give grants or loans to help pay a security deposit, rent, moving costs, or other housing expenses.

If you are one of the thousands of San Jose individuals who faces eviction and homelessness every year, get information on the various emergency rental assistance programs that are administered. The agencies are committed to providing funds and services to as many qualified families and individuals as possible every year, all in an effort to help pay rent, security deposits, arrearages, and other housing expenses. Be sure to apply for help as funding is in fact limited.

Salvation Army
Address - 359 N. Fourth St., San Jose, California 95110
Phone number - (408) 282-1165
The San Jose Salvation Army offers one time grants and cash as a form of rental assistance to low income families and individuals to help them stop an eviction and prevent homelessness. The Emergency Assistance Network (EAN) is also administered, and it provides a variety of services to prevent homelessness and act as a safety net for residents facing eviction, utility or electric, disconnection, and hunger.

The EAN offers assistance to help families and individuals recover from emergency situations, often providing case management and financial education at the same time as direct help to pay rent. The following zip codes are covered by the rental programs. 95013, 95037, 95111, 95112, 95113, 95119, 95120, 95121, 95123, 95126, 95128, 95135, 95136, 95137, 95138, 95239, 95141, 95192. Read more on Santa Clara County Salvation Army.

Project Sentinel, which can be reached at 888.331.3332, offers landlord/tenant dispute services. Address is 1055 Sunnyvale-Saratoga Rd, Suite 3, Sunnyvale, California.




Sacred Heart Community Services
Location of the center - 1381 S. First St. (Alma), San Jose, California 95110
Telephone  - (408) 283-5800
Assistance offered includes one time rental assistance to prevent an eviction from home or apartment. Security deposits and back rent can be paid too. This charity organization can help families in 95008, 95110, 95117, 95118, 95124, and 95125 zip codes.

St. Joseph's Family Center
Address - 7950 Church Street, Suite A , Gilroy, California 95020
Tele - (408) 842-6662
Apply at the non-profit for emergency rental assistance. Funds are available to qualifying individuals and families to help pay their rent and maintain their housing. Also money can be used to obtain housing, such as pay first months rent or security deposits.

Community Services Agency of Mountain View and Los Altos
Address - 204 Stierlin Rd., Mountain View, California 94043
Call - (650) 968-0836
San Jose and the zip codes of 94022, 94024, 94035, 94040, 94041, 94043 are covered by housing and rental programs. Some clients will be offered a deferred loan for paying their rent and other housing type bills.

This is a non-profit, government affiliated organization. Staff help clients find, and more into, affordable apartments. They also offer landlord mediation as well as one-time, emergency cash grants to pay housing costs, including a mortgage or rent payment. The goal is to stop homelessness, and spcial rent programs are also offered for veterans and the disabled. More on HomeFirst programs.

Emergency rental, housing and utility bill assistance is provided to qualifying families and individuals. Services offered include a wide variety of homeless prevention, rental, low income housing, counseling, and referrals. Apply for emergency funds to pay rent and/or energy bills. 297 Commercial Street, San Jose, CA, 95112, dial 408-453-3124





Sunnyvale Community Services also takes part in the Emergency Assistance Network (EAN), which can prevent eviction and stop someone from becoming homeless. Emergency rent and housing aid is offered. Phone (408) 738-4321

EHC LifeBuilders
Address: 2665 N. 1st Street, Suite 210, San Jose, CA 95134
Phone number of the agency is - 408.294.2100
Both emergency shelters and transitional housing facilities for currently homeless persons and families throughout Santa Clara County and San Jose are administered.

Emergency Assistance Network
Call - 866-896-3587
The center provides referrals to rent programs, shelters and other information to qualified residents. While resources vary and funding is limited when it comes to the amount of money available, there may be one-time emergency security deposit and rental assistance to families and individuals in housing crises in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.

The call center doesn't work directly with community members, but instead works directly through a network of other regional nonprofit organizations that can assess a community member's needs. For those that apply, and if are found to be appropriate and qualified, the agency help people apply for a grant or low interest loan or other support.

United Way Silicon Valley – While it does not provide financial assistance, they offer referrals and advice. Call 408-345-4300. The programs they focus on can offer resources and support for low income people who need temporary assistance such as shelter, free food, shelter, housing, or counseling when faced with loss of employment, serious illness, violence, medical emergency, substance abuse, financial hardship, or grief.

San Jose St. Vincent de Paul Society (SVDP) offers the low income with housing advice, food, clothing, rent assistance, groceries, medical aid, and even job or employment counseling. There are also homeless shelters and programs for immigrants in Santa Clara County. More on St. Vincent assistance in Santa Clara County.

The Housing Authority of the County of Santa Clara runs a number of housing programs in the county for those that qualify. Some examples of them are as follows. Section 8 vouchers are a form of rental subsidy. Santa Clara residents with a disability or that are currently homeless can receive help from the Shelter Plus Care Program and/or the Mainstream Vouchers. Another resource is Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing, or the VASH Program. While there is often a waiting list for all these housing resources, they may offer rental assistance. (408) 275-8770





San Jose First Community Services Inc. – offers comprehensive outreach services to low-income families  as well as the homeless in the Santa Clara and San Jose community. The non-profit agency assists homeless and low-income families with emergency housing and rental services and other aid.

Community Services Agency Of Mountain View And Los Altos – If you have a sudden emergency, that is legitimate, you may qualify for emergency rent help. They try to increase access to low income housing, which is hard to find. The focus is on the vulnerable including seniors, disabled, and single parents. Based in Mountain View, California based. Call (650) 968-0836 for information on rental grants and other aid.

West Valley Community Services, Inc. Cupertino of 10104 Vista Drive offers a program that can pay one-time financial assistance and cash grants to low income people and families that have needs in the areas of housing, rent, and energy expenses. (408) 255-8033

Emergency Assistance Network – This is run in partnership with the United Way of Silicon Valley, local non-profits, and even Santa Clara police stations. Emergency financial aid is offered for homeless prevention and to help with evictions. There may be funds, or zero interest rate loans, to pay rent, utility bills, or other housing needs. Mortgage help may be offered as well as case management and financial education.

  • Mountain View, California 94043. The center covers zip codes of 94022, 94024, 94035, 94040, 94041, 94043. Call (650) 968-0836
  • San Jose, CA 95112 office supports zip codes 95002, 95035, 95050, 95051, 95053, 95054, 95112, 95116, 95131, 95133, 95134. Call (408) 453-3124.
  • Palo Alto, CA 94301. Zip codes are 94301, 94303, 94304, 94305, 94306. Telephone number for emergency assistance is (650) 853-8672.
  • San Jose, California 95110. Is for low income families in zip codes of 95008, 95110, 95111, 95113, 95117, 95118, 95124, 95125, 95126, 95128, or 95136. Call (408) 278-2160
  • San Jose, CA 95109 - Zips 95013, 95037, 95119, 95120, 95121, 95122, 95123 95127, 95132, 95135, 95137, 95138, 95139, 95141, 95148, 95192, or 95193. Dial (408) 282-1165.
  • Gilroy, California 95020. Zip codes are 95020, 95046. Dial (408) 842-6662 for information on rent help from EAN.
  • Sunnyvale, CA 94086. Zip codes supported 94085, 94086, 94087, or 94089. Dial (408) 738-4321.
  • Cupertino, CA 95014. Housing and homeless prevention assistance is for 95014, 95030, 95032, 95033, 95044, 95070, 95129, and 95130. Dial (408) 255-8033.
  • Gilroy Police Department, (408) 846-0323
  • Morgan Hill Police Dept (408) 779-2101
  • Milpitas Police Department, (408) 586-2400
  • Mt. View Police Dept, (650) 903-6350
  • San Jose Police Department. Phone (408) 277-2276
  • Santa Clara Police Department, dial (408) 615-4700 for information.

Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing is used to stop evictions, help with rent, and to place families into a new, more affordable apartment. Agencies will provide everything from free motel vouchers to grants for paying rental costs that are in arrears. There may also be money for security deposits, energy bills, and legal aid as well. More information on Santa Clara County eviction help.

Legal Aid Society of Santa Clara County provides free legal aid and representation. They can help with housing issues, including eviction prevention, advice on delinquent rent, and disputes on security deposits. Other support is for fair housing concerns as well as landlord/tenant rights. Call 1-408-998-5200 to speak to a free lawyer for housing support.

El Concilio
Address is 2396 University Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Call (650) 330-7432
Applicants need to be under poverty levels. Grants to pay rent or utility deposits, low income housing, loans, and other support is provided.







Silicon Valley Law Foundation provides free counseling and referrals to low income families with Section 8 Vouchers. Help is for those who have received an eviction notice. There is also assistance for families with HUD Section 8 Vouchers.

Get information on where to get security deposit or rental assistance through other non-profit or government organizations if they have been impacted by the rent increases. They also advise those who are late paying their rent because of increase or need to move because of it. The address is 152 N. Third Street in San Jose California. 1-408-280-2424.

Bay Area Legal Aid of San Jose can be called at 1-408-850-7066. Attorneys offer representation and advice to tenants in eviction proceedings. Staff also offer representation of tenants that are paying rent or have a lease on foreclosed properties.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy


Search Site