Get assistance paying rent in San Francisco.

Find information on resources, services, government programs, not for profit agencies, and charities that provide rent help to San Francisco residents. Get phone numbers of who to call for assistance. Counselors from many of these groups can provide information on your options and also help you apply for the correct program.

The demand for assistance is very high, mainly due to the high process of housing in the county. While funding and resources are limited, every agency will do its best to provide emergency rent help to those who need it. If an organization in San Francisco can’t assist then they may have referrals. Or case managers will direct clients to federal government or state of California low income housing programs.

San Francisco Catholic Charities administers a Rental Assistance Program for the unemployed, low income, and working poor. If you are faced with an upcoming eviction, the resources provided may be able to help families who are at risk of losing their apartment or home. Social workers try to prevent further homelessness. Emergency eviction prevention funds, money to pay for moving costs, and other forms of counseling and rent assistance are all offered to qualified renters. Telephone number is (415) 972-1301. The address is 180 Howard Street.

For people who are already homeless, First Avenues Rental Subsidy Program is a non-profit organization to contact. The First Avenues will help find a new home or apartment, and the agency promotes the rapid re-housing of families residing in San Francisco’s homeless shelters. Some grants may be offered to pay first months rent or a security deposit. Dial (415) 751-9577.

Referrals to state of California and federal government assistance programs can be provided by HELPLINK at 1-800-273-6222. Residents of the region have several other programs available to them, including section 8 housing vouchers, low income public or private housing and more.





Family Service Agency – The main office is at 1010 Gough Street, and they run an Eviction Assistance Program. Staff is available to offer counseling, resources, financial aid, crisis intervention, cash, and homelessness prevention assistance to San Francisco families and individuals to retain their housing. (415) 474-7310 ext. 318

The Hamilton Family Center (phone number (415) 409-2100) can give free food, shelter, rent assistance, housing and guidance. They serve more than 250 San Francisco families daily. They run shelters and transitional housing too. Learn more on Hamilton Center assistance programs in San Francisco.

Housing and rent counseling services are offered by Compass Family Services. The so called Compass Connecting Point housing assistance program connects people under threat of eviction with a counselor to help access the best resources to help families find stability. If you have received an eviction notice call Compass Connecting Point at 1-888-811-7233.

Seniors, the disabled, or those families in SOS may call on Glide Memorial United Methodist Church. They offer financial aid and rental assistance if the applicat is close to an eviction. The address is 330 Ellis St. San Francisco, CA 94102. Call (415) 674-6000 for details on rent or security deposit help, shelter, or other short term aid.

A zero percent interest loan or grant to pay rent may be offered by RADCO, which is part of the Eviction Defense Collaborative (EDC). Financial help may be available for all singles and families in the city of San Francisco. Call 947-0797 to apply for help or to get more information. The money may be used to pay back rent as well.





First Avenues - The Rental Assistance / Subsidy Program offers medium to long term rent assistance. While there are many factors used to determine the exact amount of financial aid that will be disbursed, and individuals of course need to apply, in general qualified applicants may get 12-18 months of rent help. This will depend on available resources and the exact program they qualify for. (415) 751-9577

Mayor's Office of Housing in Coordination with the Human Services Agency runs the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing Program (HPRP), which can provide money to pay back rent and stop evictions. Call (415) 557-6449. Or for more information, find eviction and rehousing programs in San Francisco.

Homeless Prenatal Program has created a Housing Assistance Program. It may be able to support homeless families with minor children in San Francisco. Case managers can help clients locate low cost, safe, affordable housing in the region. They will also adequately prepare them to move in through offering credit repair services, budget planning, preparing a housing resume, meeting with landlords, and credit checks. (415) 546-6756

Parkpoint San Francisco at Plaza Adelante – Offers eviction prevention services, housing support, and government benefit enrollment assistance, such as with section 8 housing vouchers. 2301 Mission Street, Plaza Adelante.

Swords to Plowshares is a group of local non-profits and charities. They may have one-time emergency rental or security deposit help, funds for a mortgage, or loans for both tenants and homeowners. The rental support is part of the Season of Sharing Critical Family Needs program. Telephone - 415-252-4788.

Eviction Assistance Service and Education Project can help those facing homelessness. Social services, referrals to rent programs, and other housing support is available. Partners include the San Francisco Economic Opportunity Council (EOC). 415-701-1100.




Tenderloin Housing Clinic offers housing assistance for the disabled, people with mental illness, or other concerns. Find affordable, low income apartments or homes, and get help with maintaining them through rental subsidies. Call 415-885-3286.

Community Legal Services provides San Francisco County residents with free legal aid and access to attorneys. Seniors and low income residents can get legal help with rent, housing, and deposit issues with landlords. Dial 650-326-6440 for details.

The disabled or San Francisco families with kids (including single mom) can apply at St. Anthony's Social Work Center. Assistance includes loans, rent or deposit help, transitional housing and other support. Address - 121 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102, (415) 592-2855.

Tenants Together gives free advice and counseling to renters or homeowners. They help immigrants, Asians, minorities, and those who may face housing discrimination. Referrals are given to legal aid and rental programs too. Phone (415) 495-8100.

La Raza Community Resource Center – Assists low income families, with a focus on Spanish speakers. Apply for rental assistance, government benefits, grants for housing needs, and other support. Valencia St, San Francisco, California 94103, (415) 863-0764.

AIDS Housing Alliance of San Francisco may have hotel vouchers for homeless clients, back rent payment assistance, funds for security deposits or first month’s rent, application assistance, and information on low income apartments. Dial 415-552-3242.

Tenderloin Housing Clinic will help people with a short term crisis that are otherwise stable. Emergency rent help, outreach, budgeting and other support is offered. Address is 472 Turk St. If the family or individual is about to lose their home and needs to move, then security deposit or moving assistance may be arrnaged. They cover San Francisco, California, and call (415) 771-2427.





Others places to call in San Francisco for rent help include Family Service Agency ((415) 474-7310), Canon Kip (487-3786), St. Anthony's Church (415)241-2655, and Swords to Plowshares (415)252-4788. A combination of referrals to grant programs for paying rent, short term housing, and other solutions may be offered.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy