latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Emergency and financial assistance from San Bernardino Family Development Program.

Low income families and the working poor in San Bernardino County can get help from the Family Development Program. A number of emergency financial aid programs as well as case management services are administered throughout the county. They range from one time rent or mortgage assistance to stop an eviction to Asset Building and resources for children. Vouchers, grants, or other forms of financial support will be issued from FDP.

Short term, emergency assistance

For families facing a crisis a short term hardship, emergency assistance is available. It can include help for housing costs, food, bus passes and eviction prevention. There may also be grants issued to pay for security deposits for a new low income housing unit in San Bernardino County.

All funds are limited, and staff from the Family Development Program will closely review each request. Only a small number of applications will be able to be fulfilled. Some of what may be provided is as follows.

Basic needs, which includes free food, groceries, clothing, and personal hygiene items. Vouchers may be issued to families so they can buy their own food. Most of this is only available a couple times per year at most.

Transportation can be provided by Family Development Program. They may have assistance in the form of free gasoline or bus passes. The transportation will be for local San Bernardino travel for needs such as a job interview or doctor appointment. Proof of hardship and needs will need to be provided as well.

Assistance with obtaining a California Identification Card may be available. This will be in the form of a discount on this type of transaction.

For any type of emergency aid, various forms of proof and documentation is needed. This may be income statements, copies of bills, proof of unemployed or some other forms of ID. They may also need printed statement of public benefits, including CalWorks Notice.




Programs are offered for children from income qualified families. Resources include a summer camp at Camp Nawakwa. This gives them the ability to participate in activities, provides meals and other support.

Christmas assistance and parties are offered by FDP. This is offered in partnership with Payless Shoes, Citizens Bank, and the Inland Empire Health Plan. It gives them free toys, gifts, meals, coats, and other holiday assistance. (909) 723-1560.

The main office for crisis aid is at 696 S. Tippecanoe Ave, San Bernardino, CA 92408-2607. Call (909) 723-1560 for emergency assistance.

Eviction prevention including rent help from Family Development Program

Rent, housing, and mortgage assistance is offered by FDP in San Bernardino County. It ranges from vouchers for motels to cash assistance or loans to pay for rent, mortgages, and security deposits.

The Obershaw House Transitional Housing Center offers short term, affordable housing for families as they make the transition to permanent stability. Guests of the temporary housing site will also partner with case managers to set work towards self-sufficiency and set goals. Children can also be assisted as part of Obershaw House Transitional Project.

Rental assistance is offered as a form of Eviction Prevention. There may also be funds to make a partial mortgage payments or grants for a security deposit or first months rent. This aid is very limited and will come with numerous conditions and eligibility requirements.

Homeless and Eviction Prevention Assistance works to stop homelessness in San Bernardino County. Late fees will not be paid, and the applicant needs to be on path to self-sufficiency. This may be available for both a rent or mortgage payment.





Family Development Program New Rental Assistance will help individuals obtain and pay for permanent housing in the county. Applicants need to meet with a specialist, attend credit counseling, and satisfy other requirements in order to receive assistance paying for a security deposit.

Even more rare will be a free Motel or Hotel Voucher. This is available on a case-by-case basis. They need to have been denied from a San Bernardino area shelter or transitional housing program and meet other conditions.

For more information on any of these housing solutions from FDP, call (909) 723-1560 or stop by 696 S. Tippecanoe Ave, San Bernardino, CA 92408-2607.

San Bernardino Self-Sufficiency

Case Management is offered as part of the Passport program. This will allow staff to work with clients on life skills development. This will increase the ability of low income families and individuals to enter into permanent economic independence.

Case workers from FDP meet with clients to address their barriers, assess their strengths and connect them with non-profit and government resources. San Bernardino families can access job training, education support, and vocational training. There will also be basic needs addressed by PASSPORT, including food, clothing, Budgeting Resources, Transportation and shelter.




This process will include Asset Building. The Family Development Program will offer clients IDA (Individual Development Accounts) matched savings. This will allow them to save money for school, starting a business, or buying a home. IDAs reward working-poor families who are building towards purchasing an asset.

Other Asset Building component is Income Tax Assistance, or VITA. This will allow clients to prepare and file their state of California and federal government income taxes for free. Among other benefits, the free VITA program helps clients to obtain tax credits for qualified families, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the CTC Child Tax Credit.


By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site