San Antonio eviction prevention assistance.

The local city government in San Antonio partners with agencies to stop evictions in the county and to also rehouse families that are currently homeless. The various organizations are all part of the South Alamo Regional Alliance to End Homelessness Continuum of Care, and this is a network of providers that struggling tenants can turn to.

There is assistance for various scenarios. Women or children fleeing domestic violence, veterans, families facing a one time rental crisis, single moms, and others can all seek help. But the resources are not limited to them, and anyone else facing eviction can also see if support is available for their needs. While there are never any guarantees to receive any form of assistance in San Antonio, residents can try.

Terms of eviction and rehousing programs

Most of the paid for using financial aid from the federal government HUD agency. The city receives an allocation of money each year from the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) program. This particular solution uses tax payer dollars in an effort to help homeless and near evicted families.

Tenants facing an eviction need to have a strong case for why this is occurring. They will need to meet with a Housing Stabilization Specialist to go over the details on their case, as will as have proof of the vacate notice and their income. ESG is focused more on addressing an emergency, such as a missed rent payment that was the result of a  car breaking down or medical emergency.

If found to be qualified, the ESG program may help. Any type of money offered for paying a portion of rent will require a case management approach. Many of the organizations that are part of the South Alamo Regional Alliance to End Homelessness have limited funding, and the resources they do have are focused on those situations that will make a difference. Some of these Continuum of Care partners in Bexar County include SAMM, Seton Home, and the AIDs Foundation among others.

In many instances, the most effective way to stop an eviction is from Legal Aid or a payment plan with the landlord. Many property owners in Bexar County will provide the resident more time to get back on track, as they do not want to go through the process of sending a notice to the family, pay court costs, and leasing the home again. So the eviction prevention program will also try this approach.




ESG will pay for a number of expenses that those seeking a new home or low income apartment may be faced with. The HUD program also allows the county of Bexar to offer Rapid Re-Housing services. Some of what may be provided includes the following. However the terms can change each year.

  • There may be some free motel or hotel vouchers available for lodging in San Antonio. While rare, it may be for a women fleeing domestic violence.
  • Financial literacy workshops which lead to stability, such as credit counseling, classes on opening a savings account, and more.
  • Grants may pay for moving costs or an application fee for a lease on a new apartment.
  • Some assistance in locating permanent housing may be covered.
  • Direct housing expenses, such as first months rent or security/utility deposits.
  • Ongoing support to help prevent future homelessness as well as evictions.

In general, the applicants for rapid rehousing also need to be currently residing in transitional or emergency facilities in San Antonio, older than 18, and are able to use the grants as a “bridge” to other permanent housing programs. In general, there can't be a past history of evictions.

Anyone that is to be assisted in finding a new home most show stability. Since the ESG grants are so limited, as are all the resources available from the South Alamo Regional Alliance to End Homelessness, there is a thorough screening process that will be completed. Money is allocated to those San Antonio families that meet all terms and conditions.

Before someone is rehoused, the reason that they were evicted in the past needs to be resolved, and the applicant needs to be able sustain their housing on their own. The applicant will need to prove the ability to be independent after receiving several weeks of financial assistance.

For information on which Continuum of Care affiliated agencies may be able to help keep someone housed, dial (210) 352-7000 for referrals.



By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy