Richmond Virginia and Henrico County rent assistance.

Non-profit organizations, charity agencies, and churches in Richmond and Henrico County Virginia focus on offering rental assistance to those in need. The groups try to prevent evictions. Many of the leading organizations to call for information on low income housing, security deposit or emergency rent help are listed below.

The primary focus is on preventing homelessness, so residents who have an eviction notice will usually be able to access any funds that may be available for rental assistance prior to others. However all qualified low income, unemployed, and people faced with poverty in the Richmond Virginia area can get some type of housing assistance, even if it is just advice or referrals. This is because most of the agencies have details on other government assistance programs or local charities and churches. Some of the rental assistance may be offered in cash or grants, and some may be a short term loan.

The Salvation Army of Central Virginia, which has a location in Richmond, runs the Financial Aid/EFSP program. Each case and applicant to the program will be evaluated with one-on-one interviews. Based on the results of this, short term financial assistance can help pay rent or other bills based on an applicants emergency situation. You will need an eviction notice for rental assistance. Location is 2 W. Grace St.  P.O. Box 12400, Richmond, VA 23220, phone (804)225-7470

Feed The Future, Ltd. – The program was originally created years ago in partnership with the Richmond Department of Social Services. Advice, referrals, and information on housing is offered to low income, unemployed, and homeless.

Richmond, Senior Connections, The Capital Area Agency on Aging may be able to offer assistance to seniors and people who are over 60 years of age. Rental and housing assistance is targeted at those who are facing a short term financial crisis. The non-profit can help seniors apply for a number of other government assistance programs as well. 24 E. Cary St., Richmond, VA 23219, dial (804)343-3000





Home Ownership Program (known as HOP) is run by the Richmond, Southside Community Development & Housing Corporation. It can help people find a new home. Address is 1624 Hull St., Richmond, VA, 23224. Call (804)231-4449

Catholic Charities, formerly known as Interfaith Services of Henrico County helps the community with emergency rental assistance funds and grants. Main address is 1601 Rolling Hills Drive, Richmond, VA 23229. Main number is (804) 529-2011.

Eastern Henrico FISH Inc. runs an Emergency Help program. Dial the Richmond non-profit at (804)257-7730. Several services are available. You can only get rent help at most once every six months. You need to be able to document your hardship/emergency, and even food, clothes, or other aid may be offered too. Find more details on rent and other services from FISH of eastern Henrico.

Saint Joseph's Villa partners with others as part of Flagler Housing & Homeless Services. This is a rapid rehousing program. The homeless or evicted can receive emergency financial aid for paying security deposits, linkage to non-profits, low income housing, and other support, such as budgeting. The goal is to help the homeless gain stability and pay their rent on a new home. Call (804)553-3258.

HEARTH of Henrico can offer one time financial aid in a crisis. Emergency rental assistance, short term loans, and other housing solutions are offered. The address is Henrico Department of Social Services, P.O. Box 90775, Henrico, VA 23273-0775. The telephone number is (804) 501-4001

Assistance for stopping evictions and moving/relocating is available from programs such as the statewide HPP. Henrico County tenants that need support to pay some of their rental arrears or advice on contesting a landlords pay or quit notice can apply for help. More information on Henrico County homeless prevention.

Henrico County Social Services runs eviction and homeless prevention programs. This may include government grants for paying back rent, information on shelters or public housing, and more. Aid is for Henrico County citizens who are behind on their rent or mortgage and that are at imminent risk of becoming homeless. Telephone - (804)501-4001.

Legal Aid Justice Center provides free legal aid for various civil issues, including housing. Tenants can meet with attorneys when they are faced with an eviction. Get help dealing with landlords, unsafe apartments/housing and more. (804)643-1086.





Virginia Supportive Housing is offered in Richmond, and they run the Homelessness Intervention Program. It can only possibly help an individual or family who is faced with an imminent eviction. 1010 North Thompson Street # 200, Richmond, VA 23230, phone (804)525-1950 Ext 1

Commonwealth Catholic Charities – May be able to provide financial assistance for a past due rent or mortgage payment. For rent assistance the applicant needs to have a pay or quit or unlawful detainer notice. Any housing or rent assistance is offered as part of the Commonwealth Catholic Charities HELP Program. Address is 1512 Willow Lawn Dr. P.O. Box 6565, Richmond, VA 23230

By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy