Reno and Washoe County Salvation Army assistance programs.
Services provided by the Salvation Army centers in the Reno area are extensive. It offers emergency assistance for expenses such as rent, utilities, food, medications, and more. Case management and referrals are offered too. Not only that, this Salvation Army center covers all of Washoe County and the northern Nevada region, and students can get free back to school supplies or children free Christmas toys or meals. So if you live in this area call the agency to see how they can help.
Salvation Army housing resources in Reno region
Homeless Services are offered. The objective of the Salvation Army Homeless Services is to help those on the verge of eviction. families who are behind on their rent, or those who are currently homeless. Families and individuals in Reno can also acquire the skills and resources necessary to transition from homelessness. They will be provided the assistance they need to gain a higher level of productive living. Assistance programs range from meeting individuals' immediate needs to helping people meet their long term goals. Shelter facilities, case management and other transformational resources are available at the centers.
Transition housing and shelter is available, and is open 365 days a year at the Day Resource Center. This will allow people to gain self-sufficiency. Social workers will help people access, triage, and also provide referrals to non-profit agencies and government programs that can provide the long term support they might need. Hundreds of people every day use the housing and shelter services provided by the Salvation Army of northern Nevada.
Fresh foods, canned goods, fruits, and vegetables are distributed from food pantries. Struggling and low income families are invited to come for fresh vegetables and fruits. Other items provided include breads, rice, perishable foodstuffs and dairy products. Both the Reno as well as the Carson City Salvation now provide these food items, including fruits and vegetables, to the needy. Other items available include meat products, dairy, and breads. All food is offered on a first come basis, and is limited. Some special senior food programs are administered too.
Housing programs are offered. The Salvation Army will strive to help people in the community get a job, obtain the income and locate housing that they need to stay safe and works towards self-sufficiency. Some short term rental assistance may be available as well. A goal is for people to become independent citizens of the Reno and Washoe County community. Case workers also want to ultimately eliminate homelessness in Reno by leading individuals to housing and employment opportunities.
Washoe County Salvation Army financial aid and free stuff
Holiday assistance available in northern Nevada is extensive. Programs range from free Thanksgiving turkeys and Christmas food boxes and free toys for children 13 years and under. Meals are offered to people around Washoe County as well, and seniors may receive home delivered items.
Presents, mainly free toys and clothes, are also given out at Christmas. They will be focused on children from working poor families in Washoe County. The Salvation Army does its best to help kids under the age of 14 at Christmas. There are many other resources too, and find free Christmas money and gifts.
Social services and other assistance in available in Washoe County. The Salvation Army can provide assistance with the following.
- Food pantry, meals and groceries.
- Share and Reach Programs can help with utility and air conditioning bills.
- Apply for and obtain Sheriff and Health Cards. This can help low income and uninsured families in the county get the medical care they need. Or find other free community clinics in Nevada.
- Housing assistance and rent help from the ESSP Program.
- Vouchers for items such as bus passes, food, and medications.
- Household items including personal hygiene.
- Seasonal assistance. This will be programs such as Coats for Kids, Back to School Fair, and holiday assistance from the Angel Tree Christmas program. A Target Shopping Spree may be provided for students for school supplies.
- Other holiday assistance includes Santa's Toy Shop, Christmas Food baskets & Ham, Toys for Joy/Angel Tree, and Easter Food Basket.
- Job training, vocational programs, and information on Washoe County employers and job openings. Among other programs, the Salvation Army works with the College of northern Nevada, state agencies, and local businesses to provide academic training and practical work experience to the needy in a variety of fields. Sign up for classes in life skills and gain essential employment tools. The programs can help people get back on their feet.
- Children’s programs include Summer Camp, Educational Programs, and Music Camp.
Students from the Washoe County area, who come from low to moderate income households, can get free items for the school year. The Salvation Army works with businesses, churches, stores like Wal-Mart, and others to collect school supplies, including bookbags, gift cards, shoes, backpacks and more. School supplies are then given out one time per year, and students may also get other services like haircuts, toiletries and other goods.
Disaster aid is provided, and the Salvation Army is usually one of the first agencies on location when a man made or natural disaster occurs. They administer several basic services to families and individuals who are impacted by a disaster. This includes food, water, and clothing. The services provided will be adapted to the specific needs of individuals and communities that were impacted.
Washoe County area Salvation Army centers
There are a few locations in the county. They sell clothing, furniture, and household supplies from Family Stores. There are also of course case management services, financial assistance, shelters, and other resources from the Salvation Army.
- 1931 Sutro Street, Reno NV, (775) 688-4555
- 180 East Winnie Lane, Carson City Nevada, phone number is (775) 885-1898
- 1925 Sutro Street, Reno NV, call (775) 688-4588
- 661 Colorado Street Carson City, Nevada 89701, dial (775) 887-9120