Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary foreclosure prevention programs.
There are a large number of mortgage and foreclosure assistance programs and non-profit housing counseling agencies that help homeowners in the greater triangle area, including Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill North Carolina.
Housing counselors in the area provide free foreclosure prevention counseling. Programs and support are available for homeowners who are having trouble paying their mortgages. They often partner with NeighborWorks America, HUD, and the federal government. A listing of the agencies in the Raleigh Durham region include the following.
- White Oak Foundation - Apex 919-362-6768
- Empowerment Incorporated - Chapel Hill 919-967-8779
- The Women’s Center - Chapel Hill 919-968-4610
- Consumer Credit Services of Durham - Triangle Family Services - Durham (919) 821-0790 x 115
- Durham Affordable Housing Coalition - Durham 919-683-1185
- Durham Regional Community Development Group - Durham NC 919-688-3381
- The Housing Authority of the City of Durham - 919-683-8596
- CCCS, Division of Triangle Family Services - Raleigh 919-821-1770
- Clearpoint Financial Solutions - Raleigh 877-877-1995
- Consumer Education Services - Raleigh 866-635-6414
- Downtown Housing Improvement Corporation - Raleigh 919-832-4345
- Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America - Raleigh 919-855-8484
- NeighborWorks - This nationwide organization also operates in North Carolina. Foreclosure prevention specialists are available around the clock. 888-995-HOPE
- Novadebt - Raleigh 866-472-4557
- Raleigh Area Development Authority - Raleigh NC 919-208-2378
- Telamon Corporation - Raleigh 919-899-9911
- Association of Housing Counselors - This is a statewide association of housing counselors. 800-488-3316
- NC Association of Community Development Corporations - 919-831-9710
Statewide North Carolina foreclosure programs
The above listed agencies support the immediate Durham, Raleigh, Cary, and Chapel Hill area with free foreclosure counseling. However homeowners in the region can of course contact a host of programs that are available for people across the state or nation. So these are not specific to the triangle area. These mortgage and housing assistance programs include.
State of North Carolina Home Foreclosure Prevention Project - Free help and advice is provided from HUD-approved housing counseling agencies, both federal and state agencies, banks and lenders who participate, legal assistance organizations, mortgage servicers and community action organizations and other non-profits to provide the resources you need to avoid foreclosure. Dial 1-866-234-4857
NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund - This is part of the hardest hit program. Very low or zero percent loans are available to homeowners to help them pay their mortgage, if they lost their job. More on the North Carolina Hardest Hit Fund.
- Part of this service is the Mortgage Payment Program. IT in effect offers unemployed homeowners with a zero-interest loans of up to $24,000 for a maximum of 24 months, and funds need to be used for housing expenses and payments.
Second Mortgage Refinance Program - Assistance is focused on individuals who have a second mortgage. It is available in some areas of NC, including the greater Raleigh - Durham area. Call 1-888-623-8631
Federal Government Making Home Affordable Program - This of course is the primary mortgage program that was created by the federal government. It provides opportunities and assistance with modifying or refinancing your existing mortgage into a new loan in order to to make your monthly payments more affordable. Dial 1-888-995-HOPE
Free Foreclosure Legal Assistance in Raleigh Durham - Some law firms will provide pro-bono legal aid to help homeowners deal with a foreclosure. The firms to contact for help and advice include.
- Legal Aid of North Carolina, Mortgage Foreclosure Prevention Project - 866-219-5262
- National Association of Consumer Advocates (NACA) - Thousands of attorneys are part of the organization, some of which are based in North Carolina. 202-452-1989
Mortgage Foreclosure Defense Project - Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh homeowners can get foreclosure help and assistance from this service as well by dialing 866-219-5262. It focuses on homeowners who are faced with poverty. A total of six non-profit legal service agencies in North Carolina and the triangle area participate, including Legal Services of Southern Piedmont, Land Loss Prevention Project, Pisgah Legal Services, Financial Protection Law Center, NC Justice Center, and Legal Aid of NC.