latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental assistance in Portland Oregon and Multnomah County.

Find short to medium term rental assistance programs in the Portland Oregon area. Several different non-profit organizations, charities, churches, and social service agencies may be able to provide funds so people can prevent evictions or access affordable housing. There are emergency grants to help with monthly rent, free legal  consultations to stop evictions, and even motel or hotel vouchers.

 In addition, many of the Portland housing assistance agencies can also offer case management and referrals to services such as Section 8 housing vouchers or security deposit assistance programs. Typically qualified applicants in Multnomah County can receive rent assistance for a short term crisis, however there can be some multiple month or year programs. In addition, the disabled, elderly, or even single mothers in Portland who need financial help to lease/rent a home may be given more support.

While the exact terms and conditions of each agency will vary, it can include temporary assistance with paying rent or mortgage payments, motel or hotel vouchers, funds to pay security deposits, and emergency eviction prevention assistance. In addition, referrals can be given to low income housing or apartments in the city of Portland as well as through Multnomah County as many of the agencies are part of the Multnomah Stability Initiative (MSI). Even learn where to get information on current open section 8 waiting list.

Home Forward (formerly known as the Housing Authority of Portland (HAP)). Phone Number - (503) 802-8300. The agency is involved in offering short term rent assistance as funds allow, but funding is limited. They also administer section 8 HUD housing choice vouchers, but there is often a waiting list for a subsidized home or apartment. For the most accurate and up-to-date information on rental assistance availability please call the health and human services hotline for Oregon by dialing 2-1-1 for callers with a 503 or 971 area code, or if out of the area dial 503.222.5555. The address is 135 SW Ash St, Portland, Oregon 97204. Note some low-income families may get emergency section 8 vouchers.

Cascade AIDS Project - Patients with HIV only may be able to qualify for emergency housing or rent assistance. Additional help may be provided for their families. Address: 20 NW Davis, Portland, OR 97209, Phone number - 503-223-5907.

Catholic Charities has multiple locations in the county, with services for immigrants, Spanish speakers, the Asian community and others. Portland office rent assistance phone number: (503) 231-4866.  Low income families, regardless of nationality or religion, may qualify for help in Multnomah County. There are multiple offices in the Portland area, as indicated above.




They partner with churches across Portland Oregon. Financial assistance is limited. Apply for rent help, electric bills, and they also have low cost furniture or other housing items. One program known as El Programa Hispano focuses on Latinos. More on Catholic Charities housing assistance in Multnomah County.

  • 2740 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR 97202
  • Second address is 138 NE 3rd Street, Suite 140, Gresham, Oregon 97030, dial 503-669-8350.

Home Free - Domestic Violence Group (VOG) has housing assistance programs focus on victims of domestic violence in Portland Oregon. Women, children, refugees and other can get support, including legal aid, household furnishing, financial help for bills or rent and more. The program only helps singles, families, and survivors of domestic violence only. They also have information on state of Oregon and federal government resources. Phone: 503-771-5503.

Janus Youth Programs helps homeless youth and struggling keeps in Multnomah County, including pregnant teens. Whether immediate, emergency accomodations/housing or other support, they try to help from 738 NE Davis St, Portland, OR 97232. (503) 233-6090. Telephone number - (360) 433-7368.

Impact NW is at 10055 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97216. Rent assistance hotline: 503-988-6545. Programs are offered for all of Multnomah County low income and residents in need, who meet qualifications. This non-profit may also offer no interest loans as a form of rental assistance. They are part of the regional community action agency network and address housing issues, battle poverty, offers grants for paying deposits, rent, or mortgages and more. Or try (503) 721-1740.

IRCO - Africa House & Asian Family Center has multiple offices. The non-profit helps minorities, the Asian and African-American community, immigrants and others. Immediate financial assistance for renters including grants or free vouchers. Or get utility bill help, loans, green card help, funds to pay security deposits and other support. Services are in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, and other languages. Main phone number is 503-235-9396

  • IRCO - Africa House & Asian Family Center, 631 NE 102nd Ave. Portland, OR 97220. Dial (971) 271-6523 or 503-802-0082
  • Another Asian and Pacific Center is at 8040 NE Sandy Blvd., Portland, OR 97213. Call 503-235-9396

Insights Teen Parent Program has emergency short term rental assistance is offered for families only with head of household between 17-22 years old, so the age group is limited. Case management, baby supplies like cribs and other support for young teen women too from 711 SE Ankeny, Portland, Oregon 97214. Phone number - 503-239-6996.





JOIN helps the homeless, including veterans. Address is 1435 NE 81st Ave, Portland Oregon 97213. There is permanent housing placement, financial help to pay security deposits or moving costs, case management and social services. Main office phone number - 503-232-2031

Neighborhood House - May have one time rent assistance from 7780 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, Oregon 97219. Main number - 503-246-1663. Singles, Families, and African Immigrants can all apply for rent assistance, vouchers, and emergency funds.

El Programa Hispano Catolico is part of Catholic Charities as well, but focuses on Hispanic community. Short term housing, legal aid, immigration services and other support is offered - along with limited rental assistance from 333 SE 223rd Ave, Gresham, OR 97030. 503-489-6842

Portland Homeless Family Solutions assists families with children. Homeless shelters, vouchers to assit with a motel room (including during cold) and other housing resources are at  6220 SE 92nd Ave, Portland, OR 97266. Call (503) 915-8306.

Community Alliance of Tenants (CAT) has a hotline for renters rights. Learn about rules and regulations around needed landlord repairs, eviction laws in Oregon, and more on tenant issues. Call 503-288-0130

SEI Community Services provides financial help. The non-profits can address renters with a pay or quit notice, give referrals and more. Financial aid may assist with back rent, utilities (water or electric) and other bills from 4803 NE Seventh Ave., Portland, Oregon 97211. Call 503-285-049, also known as Self Enhancement, Inc..

Northwest Pilot Project - Office location - 1430 SW Broadway, Call the non-profit at 503-227-5605. Accepts walk in applicants too. At least one member who applies for rent help must be over 55 years old and another condition is they need to have no dependent children under 18 years old.

SE Works may support ex-offenders and/or youth. Address: 6401 SE Foster Road, Portland, Oregon 97206. This is the local job Workforce Center. Call the non-profit at 503-772-2300. Emergency rent assistance is for youth, singles, and adults ages 15-21 in Multnomah County who have dropped out of school and need help.

Bradley Angle Resource Center helps people facing violence. The non-profit offers support to domestic violence victims, including singling parent. Rent help in the form of loans and ongoing support is available. Address is 5432 N Albina Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97217. Call ( (503) 232-1528 or (503) 595-9591. Domestic violence victims can get help with locating, moving into, and paying for stable housing, including deposits.





Portland Va Medical Center Community Resource and Referral Center (phone (503) 808-1256) runs the HUD-VASH program as well as SSVF. This provides help to veterans and their families. Government grants can be used for back rent and housing costs, including energy bills. Other low income housing, including apartments and funds for security deposits, may be offered. The office is at 308 SW 1st Avenue, Portland, OR 97204.

Portland Supportive Services for Veterans and Families (SSVF) is run from 650 NW Irving Street, Portland, OR 97209. Call (855) 425-5544. Struggling or homeless veterans (and families) can get help stopping evictions, information on housing benefits, free legal aid around housing barriers, and government grants for moving or rental assistance.

Multnomah County Homeless Family System Of Care can place the homeless into shelters, including Goose Hollow and Daybreak. Different agencies make up MHQT, and focus on housing stabilization. There may be referrals to emergency rent, energy programs, and other eviction defense solutions. Call 211.

St Andrew Emergency Services only support the local zip code of 97211. Money raised by the community may be available for emergency rental assistance. The church is at 4940 NE 8th Street. Call (971) 244-0339  for information.

Legal Aid of Multnomah County - Attorneys offer free help on dealing with evictions to the elderly as well as low income tenants. They can offer other advice on rent and housing issues, including help with applying for benefits like HUD housing, emergency section 8 and disability.. Senior citizens are also some of the main clients. Address is 520 SW Sixth Avenue Suite, Portland, OR 97204. Telephone - ((503) 224-4086

Homeless Prevention, which includes both rent or utility assistance to stop evictions along with permanent housing placement, can help low income families. Government grants and legal firms in Multnomah County provide help to clients ranging from seniors to veterans and single mothers. Money may be paid out for rent, motel rooms, or security deposits in some cases. Find a listing of Multnomah County eviction and rehousing programs.

Native American Youth & Family Center has many community and family programs, including around housing (mortgages, rent, utilities, storage, etc.). Or learn about home buying, HUD grants and more. Address: 5135 NE Columbia Blvd., Call - 503-288-8177. Focuses its housing programs on Native Americans who live in the region.

Latino Network (address 410 NE 18th Ave, Portland, Oregon 97232) also has community resources. They are part of the Multnomah Stability Initiative (MSI). Whether transitional housing, rent grants, furniture, medical, or something else, assistance is offered including employment services. Call (503) 283-6881 or  (503) 283-6881.

Transition Projects (TPI) - Phone - 503.280.4700. Offers security deposits, move in assistance, eviction prevention, and other housing assistance. The homeless and Portland families facing imminent eviction are the main beneficiaries. The charity is at 665 NW Hoyt St, Portland, Oregon 97209. A major focus is on families with children, including single moms and dads.

The Multnomah DDSD Housing Assistance program works with the city of Portland Housing Authority. DDSD may be able to provide a limited amount of short-term housing and rent assistance to participants who are at risk of homelessness or evictions. This assistance is very limited and low income families can only apply at most once per year. Any help is usually offered in the form of rent, security deposit, or motel/hotel voucher assistance. Dial 503-988-3658.







Human Solutions is the local community action agency. They administer a number of low income assistance programs, including case management and referrals. There are hardship grants for emergency rental help, job programs, home buying solutions and other support. Continue with community action agencies in Portland Oregon.

  • 10550 NE Halsey St, Portland, OR 97220. Telephone 503-548-0200
  • 124 NE 181st Ave Suite 109, Portland, OR 97233

Multnomah County St. Vincent De Paul Of Portland Social Services is at 8101 SE Cornwell St, Portland, OR 97206. Programs can help people of all backgrounds and religions. Rent assistance, referrals, and case management may be provided for the low income, unemployed, and senior citizens in Portland Oregon. The homeless may be able to get a free motel voucher for a short term stay in Portland. The working poor and families with children are a main focus of the emergency rental assistance programs. Also learn about government programs such as section 8. Main number - (503) 235-7837 or 503-235-8431.

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page