Pickens County South Carolina assistance programs.
The non-profit agency to turn to for assistance with bills, and for resources to ensure you become self-sufficient over the long term is Sunbelt Human Advancement Resources, Inc. (SHARE).
Community services, grants for bills, and other aid
One of the main programs that offers support is the Community Services Division. It offers several services for people facing a crisis or short term hardship. Some of the direct financial assistance that is offered to families every year includes:
- Rent assistance and eviction prevention services
- Utility bill help. Receive grants to pay a bill, and help restoring your electric service
- Emergency heating fuel
- Medications and access to health care
- Household supplies such as shoes, diapers, and other items
- SHARE also offers other support in Pickens County. More on Sunbelt Human Advancement Resources.
Budgeting and counseling
It is not enough for the agency to provide help for bills. They also need to empower people so they can sustain themselves over the long term. To accomplish this objective, they offer certain programs such as credit counseling, debt help, and budgeting skills. They will try to get people to reduce their credit card debts, and medical bill obligations. They offer debt counseling and other forms of assistance. Read more on help with debts.
State of South Carolina Home Energy Assistance Program
This utility bill assistance program is part of the federal governments Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program LIHEAP. There are two main components, one being the heating program and the other the cooling program.
The heating bill assistance program will aid those families and individuals who are facing weather related emergencies due to the cold wintertime temperatures. The assistance program only provides help with the energy bills that are the result of a household’s primary heating source.
The other option, the cooling program, helps people pay their utility and air conditioning bills during the hot summer months. It can even provide free fans and maybe even air conditioners.
Job training and help finding employment
The agency offers a program known as Lifelong Advancement through Diligence, Determination and Employment Resources. This program will entail an individual to enter into a comprehensive jobs training improvement and placement program that provides a comprehensive and intensive training. The counselor assigned to the individual will develop a system of training, services, and support to meet the employment needs of eligible participants in the program.
The community action agency works closely with local towns and cities, including the City of Greenville and United Way. The program, known as LADDERS, was primarily created for candidates and individuals who are interested in starting a new job, furthering their educational skills, acquiring new career skills, and for those people who want to obtain job placement assistance and establishing self-sufficiency over the long term.
Several other assistance programs are available as well, including homeless prevention or maybe funds for paying a security deposit for those seeking a new apartment. Also, find out about free food programs and get referrals to government benefits. To learn more about these assistance programs, or other places to turn to for help, contact the Sunbelt Human Advancement Resources, Inc. (SHARE) at (864) 269-0700. Click here.
Help with bills, rent, free food, and other aid
Some of the agencies, churches, and non-profits to call in Pickens County South Carolina include:
United Christian Ministries - This agency is part of the Good Samaritan Alliance and offers services including emergency financial assistance for clothes, rent assistance, money to pay utilities-including security deposits, heat assistance, fuel oil, and life-sustaining medications. In addition, access the on site food pantry and get school supplies. The agency is located in Easley South Carolina. (864) 855-0853.
Salvation Army, The - Pickens County provides numerous form of assistance for individuals and families with a documented emergency. For example, the applicant may have utility shutoff notice, layoff notice, or a medical emergency. The non-profit agency provides clothing, free food, housing and mortgage payment assistance, rent payment assistance, school uniforms and supplies (accepts and distributes). There is also a low cost thrift shop, summer camp, and they provide utilities assistance.
They also offer heating oil, propane gas, however they do not have gasoline for cars. In addition, they run after school programs, provide children's character building program, offer Christmas and holiday assistance for children ages 0-13. Read more on South Carolina foreclosure and mortgage programs. Call the center at (864) 855-6408, or more on Salvation Army Pickens County assistance programs.
Urban League of Upstate and Pickens County – Housing resources, including foreclosure and eviction prevention, are offered along with job training and educational programs. They can help youth prepare for school or college, assistance homeowners with a foreclosure notice, and have referrals to emergency rental, mortgage or security deposit programs. Click more Urban League.
5 Point Church Food Pantry is an Easley based church that runs a food pantry. Dial (864) 850-0580. They provide free food for people in an emergency.
Housing, including rehousing and eviction prevention programs, provide assistance to renters and the homeless in Pickens County. Clients can receive loans, security or utility deposit help, emergency cash grants for their rent, and much more. Continue with rent help in Pickens County South Carolina.
Pickens County Catholic Charities and regional churches provide social services and guidance to the poor and low income. Direct financial and and cash grants are rare, but a possibility. Most of the resources provided come in the form of referrals to other non-profits and government programs. Some of the services can include emergency rental and utility bill assistance, dental care from the Save a Smile program, free food, and more. Other programs are focused on senior citizens and immigrants in the region. More information.
Free legal aid and support in Pickens
South Carolina Legal Services is a law firm that provides free legal services in civil (non-criminal) legal matters to eligible Pickens County and low-income South Carolina residents. Provides civil legal services in the following areas:
- Housing (discrimination, evictions, federally subsidized housing rights (Section 8), foreclosures, homeownership/real property, landlord/tenant, mobile homes, mortgage assistance, predatory lending, public housing, etc.)
- Consumer/Finance (bankruptcy/debtor relief, collection, contracts/warranties, loans, etc.)
- Education (access, discipline, special education/learning disabilities, student financial aid, grant programs, etc.)
- Emergencies (secure or preserve the necessities of life, health/safety risks, utility disconnections, etc.)
- Employment (discrimination, employee rights, lost wages, wage claims, wrongful termination, etc.)
- Miscellaneous (legal assistance to nonprofit organizations including incorporation/dissolution, community economic development, etc.).
- Family (adoption, contempt, custody, divorce/separation/annulment, domestic abuse, guardianship, name change, visitation, etc.)
- Health (health insurance, medical care long term health care facilities, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.)
- Elder Law (advance directives, heirs property issues, probating estates, wills/estates, etc.)
- Income Maintenance/Public Benefits (food stamps/SNAP, Social Security, SSI, unemployment compensation, veterans benefits, etc.)
Call (864) 679-3232.