PEACE community action assistance programs.

Most of the assistance programs provided by PEACE (Peoples Equal Action Community Effort) are administered from their Family Resource Centers. The sites are located across Onondaga County and the greater Syracuse New York region. The focus of the non-profit agency is on coordinating short term, emergency assistance at the same time as helping clients find jobs or improve their financial profile.

The Family Resource Centers are located in one or more of the following locations. Depending on the site, they offer Advocacy, Transitional Living Apartments, Outreach, applications for government programs such as HEAP or food stamps, Emergency Assistance, Information and Referrals, job training, and other services.
Westside FRC, City of Syracuse west
County South FRC, Tully
County East FRC, East Syracuse
Eastside FRC, City of Syracuse east
County West FRC, Baldwinsville
Project Connection FRC, City of Syracuse east
Southside FRC, City of Syracuse south

Utility bill help and weatherization is offered from the Department of Energy and Housing Services. As resources allow, this federal government program of HEAP offers a cash grant to provide free energy conservation measures for income eligible homeowners and renters. Other conservation measures include EmPower New York and Home Performance with Energy Star.Another option is applications for heating bill assistance from HEAP.

Examples of services provided by Energy and Housing Services, including those from weatherization and Energy Star, may be the following. Insulation of walls, window screening, cleaning or replacement of furnaces, weather stripping, insulation and other energy saving measures. The address is 811 East Washington Street
Syracuse, NY 13210. Call (315) 470-3315.

Emergency food is offered from locations such as pantries. It is provided to eligible individuals, seniors and families in need. The free food pantry items are distributed through the various Family Resource Centers in Onondaga County, including these.




  • Eastside Family Resource Center, 202 South Beech Street, Syracuse, New York 13210, call (315) 470-3325
  • East Family Resource Center is located at 215 West Manlius Street, Suite 2, East Syracuse, NY 13057, telephone (315) 437-7071
  • West Family Resource Center (FRC), 93 Syracuse Street, Baldwinsville, NY 13027, (315) 638-1051

Income tax filing is for low to moderate income residents of the county. They may receive free advice so they can get the largest refund possible! Learn how to use all eligible federal and state of New York tax credits. E filing may be offered too.

Job placement and training from PEACE and its partners provide front line workers with the skills and experience necessary. The agency will support individuals and families in their quest to attain interdependence and self-reliance with their communities. The key partner groups are the New York State Department of State, Cornell University’s College of Human Ecology and Division of Community Services. The community action agency works to provide residents of Onondaga County with one-on-one mentoring and employment support.

Transportation from F.I.S.H. is offered as a volunteer service. The organization is involved in providing transportation to medical and dental appointments for ambulatory citizens residing in Tully and Lafayette New York who are unable to drive themselves.




Children can look into Early Head Start (EHS) or Head Start (HS). These programs help children, ages 3 to 5 years of age. They can work to achieve their full potential. Head Start will provide them with health care, early childhood development, family services and other support to participants and their families.

Seniors can get free meals from PEACE. Their so called food service program prepares nutritious lunches for seniors at dozens of sites throughout around Onondaga County and the city of Syracuse While a small fee is suggested, it is not required. To become a participant and get a meal, seniors must be 60+ years and fill out a Office For Aging (OFA) Senior Nutrition form.

Another option for the elderly is the free Neighborhood Advisor Program. This can provide support, referrals and free advice to senior citizens ages 60 and above who live in the Town of Elbridge and the Baldwinsville region.

The Peoples Equal Action Community Effort Neighborhood Advisor Program provides services to seniors as well, especially homebound and isolated seniors. It is for those that need assistance in order to remain independent and living in their own homes. Among other things, get help with completing and submitting applications and/or recertification for programs such as Medicare, New York State H.E.A.P., Food Stamps, Medicaid, Disability SSI, Weatherization/Home Repair, Legal Assistance, Senior Nutrition & Meals on Wheels, and more.

PEACE, Inc. is located at 217 South Salina Street, 2nd Floor, Syracuse, New York 13202. Call 315.470.3300.



By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy