latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rent assistance in Omaha and Douglas County.

Churches and charities in Omaha and Douglas County Nebraska focus on offering rental and housing assistance. Individuals who are faced with an emergency, that lost their job, or who may be classified as unemployed may be able to qualify for grants or cash assistance to help pay their rent, security deposits, or other housing needs or expenses.

Below are listed many of the Omaha area charities, government organizations, churches and housing agencies that can facilitate rent help to those in need. Many of the locations have income restrictions, and can only provide very limited amounts of financial assistance. However if you need help, and are running out of options, the more places you call the better.

A number of services and resources are administered for people who need assistance. Referrals and information on federal government and state of Nebraska rent assistance and low income housing options may be available too.

Douglas County Housing Authority – Low income disabled and elderly may qualify for subsidized housing. Is a source for information on local shelters and low income apartments. They also run the section 8 HUD housing choice voucher program. 5404 North 107th Plaza, Omaha, Nebraska 68134, phone number (402) 444-6203

Family Housing Advisory Services – Services offered include home and apartment search for homeless, information on tenant, renter and homeowner rights, home ownership and buying programs. Address is 2416 Lake Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68111. for information, dial 402.934.6763.

Holy Family Door Ministry. Offers food, rent help, deposits, medications, and other aid. 1715 Izard Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68102, call (402) 341-6561

Family Self Sufficiency Program – Learn about and apply for federal government section 8 housing. In addition, clients who are on section 8 can qualify for a 5 year voluntary rent assistance program offered to any public housing resident. Also provides the low income with education opportunities, job readiness and any other rent or housing advice/assistance that is needed to become self sufficient over the long term. 4401 North 21st Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68110, (402) 444-7100




Omaha Housing Authority – Housing programs run include section 8 HUD vouchers, public housing, senior public housing services, and transitional services. In addition, the authority contracts with HUD to provide low and moderate income individuals with safe, affordable and sanitary housing through rent subsidies and vouchers. Location is 1823 Harney Street, Omaha, NE 68102, dial (402)-444-6900.

Metro Area Continuum of Care for the Homeless – They coordinate many housing services across Omaha and the region. One is the Homelessness Prevention Services Program for Douglas County families. It can provide funds to prevent evictions, pay first month’s rent or security deposits. Also provides referrals to federal government assistance.

The coalition is made up of non-profits and other groups, some of which offer loans as a form of emergency rent assistance. Other solutions can include placement into low income apartments, referrals to grants and more. The address is in Omaha, but call (402) 444-6666 for referrals.

Douglas County General Assistance – Focuses on offering federal government and state of Nebraska public assistance, including emergency rental assistance for those without children. Also offers nonfood vouchers. 4102 Woolworth Avenue, Omaha, NE 68105, (402) 444-6215





St. Vincent de Paul – Distributes rent and heating/energy assistance. Food pantry and clothing also available on site for the low income and working poor. 2101 Leavenworth Street, Omaha, NE 68102, (402) 346-5445

Eastern Nebraska Community Action Partnership – Learn about and get help applying for rent and housing programs. Three locations are in Douglas County, including 2406 Fowler Ave (North), 5155 South 36th St. (South), and 1908 Hancock Street (Sarpy). Eviction prevention services and advice is available too. They cover both Omaha and Bellevue, NE. Call (402) 453-5656 or (402) 213-7131. Find more details on housing assistance from Eastern Nebraska Community Action Partnership.

Community Development Division City of Omaha Planning Department, call (402) 444-6829, to get information on rental and housing grants from the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program.

Heartland Family Service - Neighborhood Emergency Services – A wide variety of services and resources are provided, including rent help and energy bills. The non-profit operates out of two offices, which are at 6720 North 30th Street Omaha, NE 68112 and 302 American Parkway, Papillion, NE 68046. Call (402) 451-6244.

Siena Francis House
Location is 1702 Nicholas St.
Omaha, NE 68102
Main number is (402) 341-1821
A homeless shelter is for veterans. They assist with PTSD as well as alcohol and drug counseling. Veterans can get housing assistance, information on future rent payment programs, employment and more.

Garland Thompson's Men Center
2705 N 20th E St
Omaha, Nebraska 68110
Main number is (402) 829-1531
Programs include homeless prevention, emergency shelters, outreach, permanent supportive housing, and details on section 8 and Housing First.

Catholic Charity churches
Main address is 5211 S 31st St
Omaha, NE 68107
Telephone number is (402) 731-5413
Financial aid for rent, utility bills and deposits can help stop homelessness. Or immigrants cag het legal or housing assistance. There is also financial planning, budgeting, and information on saving money to pay for a future security deposit.





Metro Home BASE, based in Omaha, may provide emergency rental assistance to single parents and moms. A goal is to keep the family together, and if an eviction is being caused by unpaid utilities, then aid may be provided for that too. Services can assist adults who have serious mental illness to access decent, safe, affordable housing. The non-profit organization may also provide rental assistance and in some cases assistance with paying for security or utility deposits. Call (402) 934-2273.

FHAS of Omaha can help people move to a more affordable home, assist with rent payments if the tenant has an eviction notice, and may also have loans for paying security deposits. Counseling and other services are offered in addition to any rental or energy assistance. (402) 934-7921.

Regional eviction prevention and rehousing services operate across Douglas County. What may be provided to tenants, in addition to emergency rent help, is money for moving costs, motel vouchers, legal support and cash grants for utility or rental deposits. All of the aid will keep families housed. More details on Douglas County eviction assistance.

Douglas County free legal aid can assist with housing needs, include provide advice and representation to low income families or seniors with a pay or quit notice. The Douglas County lawyers will also address unsafe homes, help prevent utility disconnections, and offer landlord / tenant mediation. The address is 209 S. 19th Street, NE, 68102. Or dial 402-348-1069 for an appointment.

Salvation Army of Douglas County Nebraska. Similar to above in types of programs and social services offered. Homeless shelters, transitional housing, grants to pay rental arrears, furniture and other assistance is offered. Location is 707 North “I” Street, Fremont, NE 68025, telephone (402) 721-0930 or try the Family Services center at 6101 NW Radial Hwy, Omaha, Nebraska 68104. Dial (402) 898-5860.

Omaha World-Herald Goodfellows funds – They may help with paying housing or rent expenses as a last resort. At most can assist with offering one time financial help if the assistance can’t be found anywhere else. There may be funds for rental arrears, heating bills and security deposit. Several agencies screen applicants, including the United Way of the Midlands ((402) 444-6666).

Together Inc. – Offers rent and mortgage help, as well as other seasonal services such as, furniture, infant care, transportation, and pantry. 1616 Cass Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68102, (402) 345-8047, ext 204

Outreach Program Elkhorn – Administers financial assistance for rent, employment, housing, legal assistance for landlord/tenant issues, and other aid. Elkhorn, Nebraska – 68022





United Way Omaha referral services - If all of those resources do not work, then dial 211 for additional referrals. Financial assistance for rent, housing, utilities and deposit expenses may be offered by other charities in Douglas County. There may also information on free hotel or motel vouchers for the homeless.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site