latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Oakland and Alameda County rent assistance programs.

Find rental assistance programs in Oakland California and the surrounding Alameda County. Many non-profits, charity agencies, government programs, and churches offer services to help the low income and others pay their rent, security deposits or housing expenses.

A variety of eviction prevention services, funds to pay security deposits, low income housing and emergency rent assistance programs are in place for Oakland California families and individuals. It is always best to call a non-profit and ask for help early, before you are faced with an eviction or receive a notice from a landlord. Each location is focused on reducing homelessness in the Oakland region.

Catholic Charities of the East Bay / Critical Family Needs and Rental Assistance. This non-profit offers support to tenants facing homelessness. They may have funds to provide for one time Rental Assistance. Case managers also have information on transitional housing. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9-5pm. Call (510) 768-3102 or  (510) 768-3100, or the address is 433 Jefferson Street, Oakland, California 94607.

The county human services department has information on a financial assistance program known as Season of Sharing (SOS). While the main office is located in Oakland California, there are additional centers in the county.

The Season of Sharing, which can be used to pay for rent expenses, is a private fund made available to both income qualified Oakland as well as greater Alameda County residents to help them pay rent and housing expenses. It is operated as part of the emergency Housing Assistance (HA) and/or Critical Family Need (CFN) for those with a non-recurring crisis. Individuals who apply and are found to be qualified should be able to pay housing expenses, including rent, repairs, energy bills, and other expenses. Call (510) 272-3700, or the main office is at 2000 San Pablo Ave, Oakland CA 94612.

Bay Area Community Services, or BACS, works to keep Oakland County families housed. The agency is another non-profit that offers rental assistance and low income housing. They also work to keep elderly with assisted living. Resources run can provide financial assistance for a portion of back rent, money to pay security deposits, and move-in assistance to qualified low income applicants. While funds are limited, they try to help as many families as possible. Call to apply for monthly rental assistance. Address is 390 40th Street, Oakland, CA 94609. Call 510.613.0330.




Housing Authority of the County of Alameda and city of Oakland administers low income housing, apartments, and the HUD section 8 voucher programs. This is a form of mod-long term rent assistance to help low income families pay a portion of their rent, based on the tenants income. Call (510) 538-8876 for the waiting list. There are also emergency section 8 vouchers for the elderly or disabled.  Office address is 22941 Atherton Street, Hayward, CA 94541-6633.

  • Another option is the Livermore Housing Authority at 3203 Leahy Way, Livermore, California 94550. Call (925) 447-3600.

Alameda County Social Services Agency. May have information on rental assistance. The self-sufficiency centers also administer a program that uses private funds to help low to moderate income families as well as  those who have dependent children pay rent. Financial aid is also focused on senior citizens age 60 and over and disabled individuals who live in Alameda County and/or Oakland. Call 510-383-5300 in the eastern part of the county or dial 510-891-0700 in the northern county. Continue with emergency rent help from public aid in Alameda County.

Salvation Army of Oakland operates transitional housing, homeless shelters, and other programs, including referrals to rent, energy, and eviction prevention. The Corps Center is at 2794 Garden St, Oakland, California 94601. Phone (510) 437-9437.

ECHO Housing is the leading organization that offers rental assistance in Oakland California and Alameda County. They offer two main forms of help, as resources allow. There may be limited amounts of emergency rental assistance and eviction prevention. Some clients may be able to receive financial help from security deposit loans.

Assistance for a rent payment can be paid directly to an individual as a grant. For those facing eviction from their home or apartment, it can be offered to cover a portion of the back rent to try to stop homelessness. While terms will vary, in some cases it is a grant issued and in others it is a loan. Eviction prevention funds issued by ECHO will sometimes need to be repaid by Oakland families.





In addition, a grant or loan may be offered to help an applicant pay a security deposit. Call Oakland California ECHO Housing at (510) 836-4826 or (510) 581-9380. There are other offices too.

  • Eden Council for Hope and Opportunity (ECHO) address is 22551 Second Street, Hayward, CA 94541 (phone (510) 581-9380).
  • Or another location is 1305 Franklin St., Oakland, CA 94612 (phone (510) 496-0496).
  • Additional rent help, grants, or loans from ECHO may be offered from 141 N. Livermore Avenue, Livermore, California 94550. Dial (925) 583-5992.

Law Center For Families – While not able to provide cash to pay rent, they can in fact offer free legal advice to help deal with landlord/tenant issues. Attorneys will also help clients avoid an eviction or apply for rent subsidies from the HUD section 8 voucher program.

Religious organizations in Alameda County as well as the city of Oakland may have funds for paying rental expenses or they place the homeless into shelters. Whether it is a church or another group, such as St. Vincent, low income families can get help with solving housing needs. Find details on churches that help pay rent.

Swords to Plowshares administers the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) in Alameda County. This government program can provide veterans and their families with grants for rental and security deposit fees. Support is for those facing imminent eviction, the disabled or veterans that are currently homeless. Some services for paying a portion of overdue rental costs may be covered from low interest loans. Call the Oakland agency at 510-891-8773.

East Bay Community Law Center and Eviction Clinic - Provides free legal aid and representation. Lawyers deal with housing discrimination, disputes over security deposits, and other landlord / tenant mediation issues, including lockouts from a home or apartment. 510-548-4040

East Oakland Community Project is a local shelter and also offers a continuum of care services. This may include referrals to emergency rental assistance, permanent placement into safe and affordable apartments, relocation, and more. Address is 7515 International Blvd in Oakland. Or call 510-532-3211.

Oakland Department of Human Services ((510) 986-2721) runs the homeless prevention program using federal government funds as well as CalWorks funds. It can pay for housing expenses from soup to nuts, including moving costs, security deposits, first month’s rent, and recurring monthly rental costs for up to 18 months. Other services can pay for energy bills and the county may even offer credit or debt counseling. Another office is at 150 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland, CA 94612. For intake or referrals, call (510) 238-3121

Eden I&R, Inc. is one agency that is focused on providing housing and support to homeless pregnant women in the community. Rent assistance is the primary service provided. The address is 570 B Street, Hayward, California 94541.

East Oakland Switchboard can be reached at (510) 569-6369. Call them for referrals to local charities as well as government assistance programs. Some non-profits in Alameda County may issue no interest rate loans for rental and housing expenses.

Homeless Prevention from Catholic Charities affiliated churches. Social services may be combined with placement into transitional housing. Limited funding may be offered for rent or deposit costs, and the charity also helps with food and other bills. Telephone number is (510) 768-3100.

Residents of Alamom, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, San Ramon, or Danville, can be helped by City Serve Support Services of the Tri-Valley. A faith based group of volunteers, churches and charities. Everything from free motel vouchers to eviction help, emergency funds for rent or utilities, even bus or train passes. Rent vouchers or gift cards are just one service offered.  Main number is 925-223-6947.







Keel Oakland Housed can help stop an eviction by referrals and/or grants for paying rent. Clients tend to be the most vulnerable and include veterans, seniors, and the disabled. Ages from 18 to 54 may get assistance. There may be limited funds for rent, emergency shelter, and short term housing. Phone - 510-238-5091.

Rapid Re-housing and Eviction Prevention programs combine emergency, short term rent help with placement into an affordable home. Other assistance includes free motel or hotel vouchers, legal review of leases, job placement, as well as utility or rental deposit help from ESG grants. Find eviction and rehousing help in Alameda County.

Other Oakland area agencies to call for rent help

  • Travelers' Aid, dial (510) 444-6834
  • Project Outreach can be called at ((510) 382-1360).
  • Oakland Independent Support Center (OISC). Telephone number is  (510) 281-7710.


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site