latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

North Carolina disability benefit programs.

Disabled residents, their families, and caregivers can get assistance in North Carolina. The state provides a number of assistance programs and resources for individuals dealing with a disability. The departments and organizations will offer, among other things, access to meals, vocational training, housing, respite for care givers, and more. This is provided in an effort to ensure that individuals and their families get the support they need. These benefits are focused on their specific needs and are in addition to any of the more standard government and public assistance programs.

Many of the disability programs are administered by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Aging and Adult Services. The government agency supports the disabled and offers them benefits from a community-based system of programs and referrals to non-profits.

Some of the services available include Adult Day Care/Health Programs, support for people with Alzheimer's Disease, Employment, Family Caregiver Support, and Long Term Care Options.

Housing programs may be provided, including, but not limited to information on section 811 housing vouchers. Some basic home improvements or modifications may be arranged for the disabled in an effort to make their homes safe and livable. Several other services are offered such as rent help, HUD applications, and call (919) 855-3400 for information. Or learn more on North Carolina section 8 housing.

NC Employment First Initiative is offered in partnership with the Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities. The state, working with non-profits and employers, tries to increase and promote the employment of North Carolinians with disabilities. Assistance and training is also offered for those with mental health, intellectual developmental disabilities, and substance abuse issues.

Home Improvement is provided to encourage independence for persons with disabilities, including older adults and seniors. Low interest loans or grants may assist with repair or modifications, home improvements, or other needed housing options. The funds for the disabled in North Carolina  may allow the individual to remain at home and not in a nursing facility. There are also grants to pay bills and other living expenses.




The Department of Health and Human Services can provide information on Adult Care Homes. These are for disabled adults who may require assistance in the form of 24-hour supervision. The locations will offer them personal care needs, and care such as grooming, dressing, and medications. The locations can range from family care homes of two to six residents to adult care homes of more than 100 residents. There are also a number of Group Homes for Developmentally Disabled Adults.

Additional services are as follows. Meals and food may be offered to. Thousands of residents receive free or low cost congregate meals and home-delivered support. In addition, in-home aide services are offered as well as transportation to health care, shopping, and other needed activities. For information on the resources above, call Health and Human Services at (919) 855-3400.

The Division of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing can be reached at (800) 851-6099. The North Carolina Division of Services for the blind offers assistance and benefits for people that are visually impaired, blind, or deaf. Various services, many of which are specialized, are offered by this department. They promote employment, independence, and community-based living. Some of the specific resources include Independent Living Rehabilitation Program, Vocational Rehabilitation Independent Living Services, Business Enterprise and our Medical Care / Eye Treatment Program.

Additional benefits provided can include advocacy, counseling, information, skills development and tools and resources for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Blind and Speech-Impaired individuals. Their caregivers and families can also get support. The agency may also offer telecommunications access for all through providing assistive technology as well as relay services.





Financial aid may be offered by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human and Social Services. They administer a number of public aid and government resources. The disabled may sometimes receive priority for certain financial assistance programs. Examples include those below.

  • Energy bill assistance, such as LIHEAP and grants for paying heating bills and weatherization.
  • Food and nutrition services, such as SNAP food stamps or information on pantries.
  • Work First Family Assistance is short term, cash aid.
  • Lifeline-Linkup, which is telephone assistance for the low income, including families with a disability.
  • Other benefits can include Community Based Programs, Emergency Assistance, and more.

Call social services at (919) 733-3055.

Disability Determination Services, or DDS, are available in North Carolina. In general, the state provides a safety net for those whose individuals with disabilities if they have left them unable to work and earn an income. Offices around the state receive applications from federal Social Security offices. They will work to determine eligibility for both Social Security Disability (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income disability payments. In addition, DDS will also determine eligibility for health care, including Medicaid benefits. They work with county departments of social services and health on these applications. Phone - (919) 733-3055.

Vocational Rehabilitation offers counseling, education, training, transportation, assistive technology, job placement and additional benefits. The state provides this to residents that have physical, psychiatric or intellectual disabilities. This also includes individuals that are hard of hearing or deaf or that have other communicative disorders. The goal is to help people live independently and the state will help them find and keep a job as well. There are many offices located around the state in towns and counties. Clients will get help in preparing for employment and case managers will match people with jobs that fit their skill set.

The Assistive Technology Program is for residents of all ages and that have disabilities. This will help people achieve and make everyday living more independent. Assistance is offered for computer use, mobility, daily living activities, communication, education, alarm systems and other equipment. The disabled may also have wheelchairs and other equipment loaned out to them from medical closets.

North Carolina will generally offer low interest, short-term loans for buying and trying out these devices. Or a charity will allow the client to borrow the equipment. Other benefits from the case managers includes rights advocacy for individuals and families, information/referral services and general financial resource information.

Plans created will address vocational evaluation, diagnostic services, physical and mental restoration. Some more material aid offered is transportation, assistive technology, modifications to vehicle, home, job and worksite. Or receive training such as personal assistance; college or vocational training; and on-the-job support. Find a listing of medical loan equipment closets and learn how they operate.

Independent Living Services will help people participate in family and community activities to the best of their abilities. Staff will help individuals with disabilities better manage their own life and taking a more active part in their home, family, and community. Call (800) 689-9090.







Government and non-profit resources for disabled

Additional programs may be offered by the agencies or organizations below.

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Medical Assistance
Address is 2501 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2501
Phone: (919) 855-4100

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Medicaid
2501 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2501
Telephone number is (919) 855-4100

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services
325 N Salisbury Street # 1111
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 733-7011

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health
1931 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1931
Call (919) 707-5000 for information.

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services Independent Living
1300 St. Marys Street, Suite 400 2761
Raleigh, NC 27699-2801
(888) 479-6095

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Services for the Blind
Location is 2601 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2601
(866) 222-1546

North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, Exceptional Children Division
6356 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-6356
(919) 807-3969





North Carolina School for the Deaf
Main Building, 517 W. Fleming Dr.
Morganton, NC 28655
(828) 432-5200

North Carolina Statewide Independent Living Council
505 Oberlin Road, Suite 206
Raleigh, NC 27605
(919) 835-3636

Paralyzed Veterans of America, Southeastern Chapter
Main address: 4010 Deans Bridge Road
Hephzibah, GA 30815-5616
(800) 292-9335

The Spina Bifida Association of the Carolinas
Call (336) 587-7006

The Arc of North Carolina
343 E Six Forks Road
Raleigh, NC 27609
Main number (800) 662-8706

Autism Society of North Carolina
Address: 505 Oberlin Road, Suite 230
Raleigh NC 27605
Telephone - (800) 442-2762

Brain Injury Association of North Carolina (BIANC)
2113 Cameron Street, Bryan Building, Suite 242
PO Box 10912
Raleigh, NC 27605
For information, call the agency at (800) 377-1464

The Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Campus Box #7255
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3366
Dial (919) 966-5171

Easter Seals United Cerebral Palsy North Carolina & Virginia
Location - 5171 Glenwood Avenue Suite 400
Raleigh, NC, 27612
Phone: (800) 662-7119

Governor Morehead School for the Blind
Address: 303 Ashe Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27606
(919) 733-6192

Learning Disabilities Association of North Carolina
1854A Hendersonville Road, #239
Asheville, NC 28803

National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Central North Carolina Chapter
2211 W Meadowview Road, Suite 30
Greensboro, NC 27407
(800) FIGHT-MS

National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Greater Carolinas Chapter
9801-I Southern Pine Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28273
Dial (704) 525-2955

North Carolina Association, Long Term Care Facilities
4010 Barrett Drive, Suite 102
Raleigh, NC 27609
(919) 787-3560





North Carolina Council for the Blind
Address: 408 Ward Street
Graham, NC 27253
(800) 344-7113

The North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities
Location: 3125 Poplarwood Court, Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27604
Main number - (800) 357-6916


By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site