Naperville Loaves and Fishes.
Basic needs, with a focus on food, is available from the Naperville Loaves and Fishes. The non-profit works to meet that need and can also provide information or referrals to countless other services. The Community Food and Nutrition Program is their main tool for addressing hunger in Dupage County.
There are limited resources available. In order to qualify for any type of food assistance from the agency, an applicants household’s income needs to be within the guidelines established by the government, and specifically the Illinois Department of Human Services. While offering free groceries, food, meals, and that type of aid is the priority from Loaves and Fishes, other assistance may be available too. The main examples are below.
- Free Diapers - Loaves and Fishes of Naperville provides disposable diapers for children and newborns. A copy of an original birth certificate is required for enrollment.
- Food for school nutrition needs - This will be free additional school snacks, support for children under the age of 18, and breakfast items.
- Baby formula and infant care - The center has infant formula, meals and baby foods for children under one year old.
- Seasonal promotions - This may be school supplies, holiday meals and other seasonal offerings.
- Birthday Bonus will be birthday cake(s), small toys and party supplies for children up to age 12.
- Household Products such as cleaners, detergents and related supplies.
The main location is at 1871 High Grove Lane, Naperville, Illinois 60540, dial 630-355-3663. Call or stop by, or continue below for other services available.
Referrals are a key service also available from Naperville Loaves and Fishes. They work with numerous DuPage County and government organizations on a service known as Pathways to Empowerment. This will give better access to a variety of community services. For example, learn about, or get application to, Public Benefit Assistances and more. This will be some or all of the following.
- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program helps eligible households in the county, and across Illinois, pay winter gas or electric bills.
- Learn how to shop and budget for food and groceries. The Shopping Matters Grocery will provide guidance on choosing healthy, nourishing foods on a limited budget. This is available at the Loaves & Fishes pantry.
- Information on the Affordable Health Care (ACA) is available. Naperville Loaves and Fishes partners with the In Person Counselor who can assist clients with accessing affordable health care coverage. Programs are Get Covered Illinois and clinics.
- Food assistance from Illinois Supplemental Nutrition Assistance program (SNAP). Since Loaves and Fishes does focus on fighting hunger, SNAP applications are another resource.
- Access DuPage Medical Care is for residents who do not qualify for government health care. So if not eligible for Medicaid, Medicare or Illinois Marketplace coverage, this may be an option.
- VITA - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance is free advice and help in completing Income Tax Returns. It is for low to moderate income families and seniors.
Self-sufficiency through employment is also very important and stressed. So job coaches from the county work with Naperville Loaves and Fishes clients to offer technical and practical job search support. This is available for anyone who is looking for a change or that is currently unemployed. Staff offer one-on-one support, and this is from Loaves & Fishes. Clients can partner with a coach to improve networking techniques, your resume and interviewing skills.
Educational and classes can help in the quest for a job, or higher paying position. Computer Classes will teach people basic skills at their own pace. The People’s Resource Center usually holds sessions once per week. Or look into the English Language Classes, or ESL. Assistance is for writing, listening, speaking and reading skills necessary for work.
All My Money is a financial literacy class. It helps Loaves and Fishes and Dupage County families with both personal finances, credit repair and money challenges.
Veterans from the county can get help. Those from DuPage County Illinois who have served in the military and even members of their immediate family can get assistance from Loaves & Fishes. Partner with a case manager to find the course of action that’s right for you, whether that is government benefits or private resources.