latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Assistance programs Monroe, Butler, Edmonson, Hart, Metcalfe County.

If you need help in the southern Kentucky region, including the counties of Monroe, Hart, and nearby areas, then a leading non-profit organization to call is the Community Action of Southern Kentucky, Inc. Dial (270) 782-3162 for information on resources offered, some of which are summarized below.

Job Development, Adult Education can help people gain the necessary skills to become self-reliant over the long term. This program also works closely with Community Services, Head Start, Senior Services Programs, and government job training. Another component is Dress for Success, which provides free work clothes as well as basic computer lessons to enhance job development skills.

Family Self-Sufficiency will also help low-income families in Edmonson, Monroe and other regions get jobs and acquire new skills. A focus is on single-parent families.

Rent, utility, food, and housing is offered as part of grants from the Emergency Food & Shelter Program. Funds can help families stay in their homes and not be evicted.

Utility bill assistance is offered from the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) Program. It can help pay for heating bills both on an ongoing basis, as well as during an emergency. Some money can also be paid out for air conditioning bills during the hot summer months. The Community Action of Southern Kentucky works with Cabinet for Health and Family Services on LIHEAP.

Additional educational support and grants is offered from a CSBG Scholarship program. It can facilitate training or job retraining that may be required for the local employment market in the southern part of the state. Low income-eligible individuals who want to return to school or continue their education can apply, and money can pay for tuition, books, fees, and other expenses.

Child care centers in Edmonson, Metcalfe and Warren can provide care, meals, and support to children over 6 weeks of age. A similar resource is Head Start, and this is an education and child development program for children up to 4 years of age.



The community action agency also has information on local Senior Centers. Elderly residents can get a meal, sign up for classes, stay cool during the summer, and more. Other services include transportation to medical appointments as well as referral to local services and non-profit opportunities.

Weatherization is often offered along with LIHEAP (see above). It can help people save money on their energy bills, and is free to income qualified families.

Other programs include KY Vision Program for eyeglasses prescription assistance, the CSBG Garden Program, and other emergency services. The homeless in the community, including Edmonson and Butler County, can look into transitional housing and utility/security deposit programs too.

Dial (270) 782-3162 to reach the Community Action of Southern Kentucky. Click more information on Community Action of Southern Kentucky assistance programs.

Emergency financial assistance and food

South Green Church of Christ can offer emergency assistance for rent, food, utility bills, and other basic needs. 306 South Green Street, Glasgow, 42141, call 651-5049

St. Helen's Catholic Church runs a food pantry. Dial 651-5263

Department for Community Based Services Family Support helps people apply for public and government aid. A great place for referrals too. This includes information for programs such as food stamp benefits, Medicaid and other medical benefits for the elderly, Kinship Care, prescription medications, food stamp benefits, and more. 1010-1020 State Street, Bowling Green. Call 746-7850 for intake.





Edmonson County Adult and Family Education Center can help with jobs and new skills. The non-profit provides services such as employability skills, GED preparation, counseling and more. 100 Park Place Suite 2, Brownsville, KY 42210, telephone 270-597-2560.

Barren River Area Safe Space - Women and children can receive assistance. It ranges from basic needs such as food and clothing to low income housing and referrals. The goal is to assistance single parents, DV victims, and the homeless. They are a key poverty fighting organization. Click here Barren Area Safe programs.

Summer Food Program - Community Action – Oversees federal and state funded relief for low-income families, including Food stamps, AFDC, K-Chip, SSI and Medicaid. Franklin based group that helps the needy in Butler and other counties. 727 Main St, Franklin, call 586-3238

Department for Employment Services – Call or stop by for services including referral & job placement, filing for unemployment insurance, Veterans job training, Occupational testing, and other employment counseling. 586-5251.

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter assistance - Find help during the holidays. Apply for some or all of the following:

Salvation Army Social Services - There are some centers in the region. While they may not be right near where you live, the Salvation Army can usually provide referrals and support. Some of the programs may be homeless shelters, transitional housing, or free Christmas assistance such as toys for kids.

Case workers from the Salvation Army also have information on utility bill assistance, including from Atmos Energy and other companies as well as funds for paying back rent or for gasoline. Students can also get free back to school supplies, clothes, or uniforms. Click here Salvation Army Warren and Edmonson County.

Backpack Program is run by America's Second Harvest of Kentucky's Heartland. Call 877-532-2767. It provides students, and their families, with free meals and food.





Medications and free health care in southern Kentucky

Dental care is offered by Butler County Family Resource Center. It provides preventative and restorative dental services, supplies such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, and more to the under and uninsured. 210 W. Cemetery St., Morgantown, Kentucky 42261, 270-526-5660.

Kentucky Homeplace Program is located at 151 South Franklin Street, Russellville. Call 726-8341. The center offers health-related assistance for things such as eyeglasses, prescription drugs, hearing aids, etc.

By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You















Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site