latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Minnesota Family Homelessness Prevention and Assistance Program.

The Family Homelessness Prevention and Assistance Program is an option for Minnesota families with children or single adults. The state can provide clients facing eviction with emergency rent assistance. Support is also available for the currently homeless, and they can receive funds for paying security deposits, first months rent, and ongoing case management.

This program was created back in the early 1990s and funding is allocated yearly. All government grants can be used to help pay for a broad range of services that are aimed at housing issues. Money can be used to pay rent if it will result in homelessness prevention. Also, for those that do receive assistance, the state and local non-profits will also partner with families in an effort to help them repeat future episodes of homelessness.

The funding is allocated across the state at the local county and town levels and applications are processed by local non-profits. A focus on FHPAP is preventing homelessness as the state would much rather take a pro-active approach to keeping people in their homes or apartments.

As resources allow, funds from the  Family Homelessness Prevention and Assistance Program are used to pay for a broad range of activities. The goal is to pay rent to prevent homelessness. Another goal is to shorten the length of stay that someone is in an emergency shelter. Case managers and staff will also work with clients in order to end any repeat episodes of homelessness.

Homeless prevention services may include assistance in finding permanent housing and other support services. The non-profits that receive grants may also pay out direct assistance with rent, security deposits, and even a mortgage payment. The money from the state of Minnesota will help pay for families with children, single adults, and youth who are homeless. As funding becomes available, the cash grants can be used to pay at most 24 months of rental housing assistance.

This FHPAP program will also assist qualified households in moving out of emergency shelter, transitional housing and other temporary settings so that they do not become long-term homeless.

For those that need help, they need to contact a community based nonprofit organization. The primary sites and agencies to contact are below. If a site is not near you, then call a nearby agency for referrals. The local organizations process applications and provide funding to the less fortunate and families that are struggling.




Main contact numbers for the Minnesota Family Homelessness Prevention and Assistance Program.

Anoka County
Economic Assistance, 2100 3rd Ave, Suite 400, Anoka, Minnesota 55304, call 763-717-7730 or 763-422-7246

Beltrami and Cass County
-Bi-CAP, P.O. Box 579, Bemidji, MN 56619, call 218-333-9867 or 218-333-9842
-Cass County, P.O. Box 995, Walker, MN 56484, 218-547-3438
-Red Lake Indian shelter, Red Lake Homeless Shelter, P.O. Box 280, Red Lake, MN 56671, 218-679-3228
-Evergreen House, 1418 Bemidji Ave, Suite #1, Bemidji, Minnesota 56601, 218-751-8223

Blue Earth, Brown, Faribault, Le Sueur, Martin, Nicollet, Sibley, Waseca and Watonwan County
706 N. Victory Drive, Mankato, MN 56001, call 507-345-6822 or 800-767-7139

Carver and Scott Counties
Emergency Services Department, 712 Canterbury Rd S., Shakopee, MN 55379, 952-496-2125

Stearns, Benton, Sherburne and Wright County
Central MN/ Lutheran Social Services 716 E St. Brainerd, MN 56401, phone 218-824-3776 or 218-824-3755.  This agency offers rent help from the  Homelessness Prevention Program.

Dakota County
Supportive Housing Unit Intake Line, 1 Mendota Rd W, West St. Paul, Minnesota 55118, call 651-554-5751
CAP Agency, 2496 145th Street West, Rosemount, MN 55068, telephone 651-322-3500

Kandiyohi, Renville, McLeod and Meeker County
120 North Sibley Ave, Litchfield, MN 55355, 800-770-4081
218 Main St. S, Hutchinson, Minnesota 55350, 800-829-2132
500 E DePue Ave, Olivia, MN 56277, dial 877-523-1842
200 SW 4th St, P.O. Box 1359, Willmar, MN 56201, call 800-992-1710 for information.





Hennepin County
A-1600 Government Center, 300 S 6th St., Minneapolis, MN 55487, call 612-348-4111

Koochiching, Itasca, Lake and Cook County
201 NW 4th Street, Suite 130, Grand Rapids, Minnesota 55744, 218-999-0800
2232 E 2nd Avenue, International Falls, MN 56649, call 1-800-559-9491
Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency, 2124 10th St, Two Harbors, Minnesota 55616, dial 800-223-1850 Ext. 111

Aitkin, Carlton, Chisago, Isanti, Kanabec, Mille Lacs and Pine County
Community Services Department processes application for housing assistance. The address is 1700 Maple Ave E, Mora, MN 55051. Dial 800-832-6082 or 320-679-1800

Clay and Wilkin County
Lakes and Prarie, 715 11th St N, Moorhead, MN 56560, 218-299-7000

Crow Wing, Morrison and Todd County
Lutheran Social Services, 716 E St, Brainerd, MN 56401. Call 866-970-1437.

Mahnomen, Hubbard, Becker, Otter Tail and Wadena County
Mahube-Otwa Community Action Partnership, Inc., Becker County, 1125 West River Rd, P.O. Box 747
Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, dial 218-847-1385
Hubbard County, 120 North Central, P.O. Box 229, Park Rapids, MN 56470, 218-732-7204
118 West Madison Ave, P.O. Box 76, Mahnomen, MN 56557, phone 218-935-5022
Otter Tail County, 128 West Cavour Avenue, Fergus Falls, MN 56437, dial 218-739-3011
311 Jefferson Street South, Wadena, MN 56482, telephone 218-632-3602

Ramsey County
Families Community Human Services Department, 160 E. Kellogg Blvd. #9500, St. Paul, MN 55101. Call 651-224-9644 or 651-647-2555. This is one of the leading non-profit social service agencies in the region. Funds for rent and other housing needs can be provided.

Rice, Goodhue, Wabasha, Steele, Dodge, Olmstead, Winona, Freeborn, Mower, Fillmore and Houston County
Goodhue and Wabasha County, Three Rivers CAP, 1414 North Star Dr., Zumbrota, MN 55992, call 507-732-8519.
201 So. Lyndale Ave., Faribault, MN 55021, phone 507-732-8526.
Olmsted County, 300 11th Avenue NW, Rochester, MN 55901, main phone 507-732-7391.
Dodge County, Semcac, 20 E Veteran?s Memorial Hwy, Suite A &B, Kasson, MN 55944, call 507-634-4350.
515 Washington St NW, P.O. Box 5, Preston, MN 55965, call 507-765-2761.
Freeborn County, 2202 Stevens St., Albert Lea, MN 56007, 507-373-1329.
138 E. Main St., Caledonia, MN 55921, 507-725-3677.
Mower County, 111 N. Main St., Ste. 201, Austin, MN 55912, 507-433-5889.
545 Dunnell Dr., Owatonna, MN 55060, dial 507-451-7134.
Winona County, 62 E. 3rd Street, Winona, MN 55987. For information, call 507-452-8396.

Olmsted, Dodge, Fillmore, Wabasha Counties for youth is based at 816 So. Broadway, Rochester, MN, 56001, 507-258-4107





St. Louis County
Call 800-543-7709 for information and referrals to local non-profits that may offer rental assistance and homeless prevention. That number will give callers information on local resources.
Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency (AEOA), 702 3rd Ave, Virginia, MN 55792, dial 218-735-6841.
Legal Aid Service of NE MN, 820 N 9th St, Virginia, Minnesota 55792, telephone 218-749-3270.
Life House, 102 W. 1st St, Duluth, MN 55802, 218-722-7431.
Salvation Army, 215 S. 27th Ave W, Duluth, MN 55806, main phone 218-722-7934
AICHO, 202 W 2nd Street, Duluth, MN 55802, dial 218-722-7225.
Bois Forte, 1224 White Pine Circle, Tower, Minnesota 55790, telephone 218-753-3131.
Legal Aid Services of NE MN, 302 Ordean Bldg, Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802, 218-623-8100.
Safe Haven, 414 E. 1st Street, Duluth, MN 55802, 218-623-1000.
Dabinoo Igan, 202 W. 2nd Street, Duluth, MN 55802, call 218-722-7225

Polk, Marshall (West) and Norman Counties
Tri-Valley, 102 North Broadway, Crookston, Minnesota 56716, 800-584-7020.
Clearwater, Pennington, Polk (East) and Red Lake Inter-County Community Council, PO Box 189
Oklee, MN 56742, dial 888-778-4008 or 218-796-5144

Kittson, Lake of the Woods, Marshall (East) and Roseau Counties
Northwest Community Action Agency, PO Box 195, Badger, MN 56714, telephone 800-568-5329 or 218-528-5258

Washington County
7752 Hemingway Ave S #4, Cottage Grove, Minnesota 55016, 651-459-4822.
Salvation Army, 7380 Afton Rd, Woodbury, MN 55125, 612-739-6288.
Human Services, Inc., 7066 Stillwater Blvd North, Oakdake, MN 55128, main phone 651-777-5222.
Washington Co. Community Services, 14949 62nd Street North, Stillwater, Minnesota 55082, main phone 651-430-6529.

Grant, Pope, Stevens, Traverse and Douglas County
West Central, 411 Industrial Park Blvd, Elbow Lake, MN 56531, 800-492-4805 or 218-685-4486 Ext. 151. Applications for FHPAP can be provided.

Cottonwood, Jackson, Lincoln, Lyon, Lyon, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone and Rock County
Lincoln and Lyon Counties, 1400 S. Saratoga Street, Marshall, Minnesota 56258, main phone 800-658-2448 or 507-537-1416
Redwood County, 164 E. 2nd Street, Redwood Falls, Minnesota 56283, call 507- 637-2187
115 South Highway, PO Box 207, Jackson, MN 56143, 800-658-2480 or 507-847-2632

Nobles, Rock, Pipestone, and Murray Counties
Southwestern MN Opportunity Council, 1106 3rd Ave, Worthington, Minnesota, dial 800-658-2444

By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site