latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Help with rent in Linn County Iowa.

Short term rent assistance will help low-income families in Linn County stay in their home or apartment. Churches, charities and government agencies provide grant money or cash loans for housing needs, including a security deposit. The hardship funds, when combined with free lawyers and rapid rehousing help tenants. Find rental assistance near you in Cedar Rapids and Polk County IA.

There are also shelters, free motel vouchers, and section 8 low-income no wait list housing. All of programs offer help with paying rent as a form of homeless prevention. A major focus of the non-profits and churches is on assisting senior citizens, single mothers or the disabled in the community. Also look here for more details on churches that help with rent.

Note that several of the organizations only help veterans, their immediate family members, or people currently in the military. Other housing and rental assistance programs may only be for single mothers or those who are currently working in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Each one of the agencies (whether charities or government affiliated) have their own application processes for a rental grant and funding levels. The amount of emergency financial help for paying rent, legal costs, energy bills, deposits or moving expenses is also limited.

Rental assistance programs in Cedar Rapids and Polk County IA

Helping Hands Ministry
Office is at 601 Second Avenue SE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401. Dial (319) 366-2651, and leave a message.
Emergency support is given. This may be money for paying rent, utilities, and more. The charity also advocates for tenants and the poor, may give furniture for a home, and other assistance in addition to that rent help.

Willis Dady Homeless Services
1247 Fourth Avenue SE, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52403. Call (319) 362-7555
The non-profit gives referrals. Families, including, the disabled, and anyone on the verge of homelessness will get matched to financial or legal aid. This may be government grants for paying rent, landlord or foreclosure mediation services, pro-bono attorney legal aid, or homeless prevention and rapid rehousing programs.




The Freedom Foundation
Location is 4001 Center Point Rd NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402. Dial (319) 826-2010
Only veterans can get help. Rent, heating or utility bills, job placement and more. There is SSVF grant money to help veterans in Polk County with their rental or security deposit costs. Payments are made to landlords or utility companies.

Iowa Legal Aid
317 7th Ave SE #404, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401. Phone: (319) 364-6108
Tenants and homeowners can get free legal aid to fight evictions, foreclosures, and other housing concerns. Free lawyers help low-income families with an eviction notice.

Hawkeye Area Community Action Program
1328 2nd Ave SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403. Main number is (800) 332-5289
The housing program is known as HACAP's Supportive Services for Veterans. There are also federal government grant funds to pay rent or other costs. More on Community Action grants in Des Moines.

Linn County Offices - General Assistance
Linn County Community Services Building, 1240 26th Avenue Court SW, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 52404. Main number is (319) 892-5850
Many government/public aid programs are available as long as basic needs. There are funds for apartment rents, homes, or lot rents. Other GA money is for utilities, mortgage interest payments, gas bills, and more. Veterans can get help in applying for compensation for their services and pension programs.

  • West Des Moines Human Services is at 139 6th Street, West Des Moines, IA 50265. Dial (515) 222-3660. Partial rent payments are issued only for people in a hardship that have no other options.

Salvation Army of Cedar Rapids
Location is 1000 C Avenue NW, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52405. Call (319) 364-9131
Rent payment assistance is provided to the needy. There are also free motel vouchers for homeless people, emergency funds for rental arrears or an electric bill to stop an eviction or disconnection. Find additional housing and rent programs from Linn County Salvation Army.





Proteus, Inc.
Englewood Center, 1221 Center Street, Des Moines, Iowa, 50309. Applicants need to be seasonal or migrant farm workers. Call (800) 372-6031.

Des Moines Municipal Housing Agency
Address is Polk County River Place, Des Moines, IA 50310. Call (515) 323-8950
Applicants need to be part of Child Protective Services Unit. There is rent or utility help, available from the government in order to keep kids with their parents.

Rent assistance Cedar Rapids IAMadge Phillips Center Shelter - Waypoint Services for Women, Children and Families - Rapid Re-Housing Program
Main address is 318 Fifth Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52401. Main number is (319) 366-7999
The homeless or people facing eviction can get help. This includes referrals to housing support programs, low interest loans to pay rent or security deposits, transitional housing, and more. They help people, including with bad credit, get an apartment in Polk County.

St. Vincent de Paul Society
Location is 928 7th St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401. Call (319) 365-5091
Rental assistance is offered a few days per week in Linn County. They help single moms or dads, seniors, and low income families from being evicted. Money to pay rent and other housing costs are offered.

Cross Outreach
Charity address is 3226 University Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50312. Call (515) 279-8877 or (515) 279-9998
The Des Monies - Polk County non-profit provides emergency help with rent ASAP as well as hardship money for storage, moving costs or a rental deposit. There are other services as well for the homeless and struggling tenants.

Housing Services
101 First Street SE, Cedar Rapids IA, 52401. Phone: (319) 286-5872
Various housing programs are administered. There is HUD section 8 vouchers for rent. Income based apartments and homes are offered for the low-income, single people and families with kids too.

Linn County and Iowa Finance Authority
Location is 1963 Bell Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50315. Main Phone: (515) 452-0400 or (800) 432-7230
A Military Homeowner Assistance Program is offered. There is also TakeCredit, low cost loans for closing costs, up front rent payments due to landlords, and more. They also administer the Iowa Mortgage Help program.

Waypoint Services
Location is 318 5th St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401. Call (319) 365-1458
A rapid rehousing program is run. They help women pay the rent on a new safe home or apartment, assist veterans, and the housing insecure in Linn County and Cedar Rapids.




Aging Resources of Central Iowa
Address: 5835 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50312. Call (515) 255-1310 or (800) 747-5352
Only sections or disabled will get help. Basic Needs Allowance will help with housing, rent, home care and other needs or the low-income elderly on social security.

A number of charities and churches offer free temporary housing. In addition, job placement, budgeting, and future rent or deposit payment application help is available.

  • Mission of Hope houses Men. There is shelter, house jobs/employment, food, and more. Eventual placement into an affordable apartment is the goal too. Location is 211 Park Court SE, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52403. Call (319) 366-7999.
  • The Freedom Foundation, 609 Center Point Road NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 52402. Call (319) 826-2010


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site