Assistance programs Leavenworth County.
Find where, and how, to get financial assistance, public aid, and free stuff in Leavenworth County. There are a number of programs that can help low income families pay their rent or utility bills. Or there are charities, churches, and government programs that offer free food, grant money, or even emergency food stamps. Many resources are offered.
Low income families can also get free seasonal items in Leavenworth, along with financial aid. This ranges from school supplies for students to winter coats, legal aid, as well as Christmas toys or window fan units during the summer. All of these programs and social services are noted below.
Programs and resources to get financial assistance with bills
Two organizations to turn to for financial aid or free stuff include the Northeast Kansas Community Action Program and the Salvation Army. Together, they provide various types of programs, including emergency assistance, help for utility and heating bills, job training, and much more.
The Salvation Army is located at 600 Walnut, Leavenworth, KS, phone number 913-682-6460. Some of the programs offered include emergency assistance, disaster services, grants and funds for paying rent and utilities, youth and senior programs, food aid from the food pantry, summer camps for the area’s underprivileged youth, summer fan program, help for heating bills, and other services as needs arise and funding allows.
Another place to turn to is the The Northeast Kansas Community Action. They also offers a wide variety of programs, including those noted below
- Rent and utility bill assistance. The Emergency Homeless Prevention Assistance provides short term assistance to stop evictions, prevent homelessness or to help people lower the risk of becoming homeless by providing assistance with past due rent, heating and utility bills, utility/security deposits, and first month rent as funds are available.
- Housing and foreclosure counseling. This assistance program will assist customers in making prudent and responsible use of housing resources, and housing assistance programs are offered. It will help renters locate and qualify for grants and government assistance programs, help them find assisted rental units, helps home buyers obtain affordable housing, and counselors will work closely with homeowners in crisis to avoid foreclosure and help them save their homes. Click here in order to find additional mortgage help.
- The Kansas Department of Energy's Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). This is the nation's leading program for delivering energy efficiency services to low to moderate income households across the state. The main goal of the program goal is to reduce heating bills and energy costs for low-income persons by improving the energy efficiency of their homes while also ensuring the families health and safety. Nationwide, weatherization benefits millions of low and moderate income households.
In addition, the funding for the program also benefits communities in Leavenworth County and generates an average energy cost savings of $300 per home each year. Professionally trained weatherization crews perform onsite home energy audits using state of the art equipment that helps them identify outside drafts and inspect heating and cooling systems for efficiency. They also install free energy saving improvements, such as insulation, caulking, new windows, and more.
- Employment services. The NEK-CAP community action agency also offers job search/job seekers, job retention case management, resume building, job training, and other employment skills.
- Family Development - Case managers will work with low income families in Leavenworth County to help them gain self-sufficiency. There may be referrals to job training, Head Start for children, and educational programs for adults. For short term financial aid, staff can help participants apply for government grants to pay for rent, heating bills, or help the homeless obtain assistance for a security deposit.
Contact the community action agency at 2940 Ralph Bunche Drive, Leavenworth, KS 66048, phone number 913-651-5692. Or for more details on NEK-CAP services, click here for details on financial help from community action agency NE Kansas.
Cross-Lines Community Outreach helps families living in poverty or those facing a crisis. The non-profit administers several assistance programs in Leavenworth County for both addressing the emergency and putting the client into position for long term support.
Services include emergency rental or energy bill help from grants or loans, a free food pantry, low cost thrift store, and even a Medicine Cabinet for free prescription medications. Many other programs are available as well, and find assistance from Cross-Lines Community Outreach.
Catholic Charities in Leavenworth and northeast Kansas - This is the local branch of the non-profit national Catholic Charity organization. Services are offered for people of all religions, backgrounds, races, and incomes. Anyone who needs assistance, regardless of your need, should contact this organization. Some of what is offered includes food, money for paying bills and rent, referrals, and other social services. Read more on Catholic Charities Leavenworth.