Kentucky free child care assistance.

Kentucky works to provide affordable and high quality child care to low income families. The state relies mostly on free federal government funding. The subsidies and vouchers provided to parents will allow them to attend education, work, participate in the Kentucky Temporary Assistance Program, and/or attend in a number job training workshops.

Not only can parents get assistance in paying their bills, but the Child Care Assistance Program will also assist low income and poor families in finding a quality child or day care provider. The goals of this statewide program are parallel to those of the federal government and the regulations and laws they put into place. The state also offers coordination for subsidy payments, develops policy and procedures, can provide professional development and training, and also promulgates regulations across the region. The main purpose of this program is to enable families and guardians to gain employment and to also remain employed in a decent paying job.

Free subsidies are only offered for those who meet some or all of the following conditions. These can also change over time.

-The resident needs to receive protective or preventive services from the state.
-Assistance is offered for teen parents as well, providing they stay in school or college.
-Subsidies may be offered for children of low income parents in Kentucky that participate in the federal government welfare reform program (K-TAP).
-Low-income parents who are employed and/or attending an education or training program that will get them on the path to stability may qualify.
-Low income levels and conditions are in place as well.
-Child care subsidies are also available from the state for child protective services.

Other conditions include the child needs to be under the age of 13, or 19 if disabled. The parent also needs to be working or attending school/training in Kentucky at minimum 20 hours per week. Some exceptions can be made from time to time. Such as a subsidy may even be offered for those parents that are in some form of apprenticeship or internship.





Those families with two parents must be averaging 40 hours per week in job or school. Also, neither parent working can be doing so less than an average of five hours a week unless one adult is verified as physically or mentally unable to provide day care for the children. If that option is selected, then the incapacitated parent must provide their social worker with a certified doctor's statement verifying that he/she is unable to care for the child on their own.

The free Child Care Assistance Program in Kentucky provides financial assistance to eligible parents/guardians with payment for child care on a sliding fee basis. As indicated, Kentucky will usually only pay a portion of your expenses. In an effort to promote parental responsibility, low income families and parents with an income above a certain threshold (normally $900 a month) may be accessed co-payments, so they need to pay a portion of the bill. Any payments made by those families that receive a voucher will need to pay the provider.

This extra payment, or co-pay, is the amount that a family is required to contribute toward the cost of their monthly day care expenses. The amount of the co-pay is determined on a sliding fee scale that is based on many factors such as number of children receiving child care assistance benefits, the parents income, and the overall family size. It is your responsibility to discuss all co-pays and the payment process with your provider of choice.




Families on K-TAP may also benefit. The parents who receive benefits and need additional child care assistance to enroll in an education or training program or maintain employment consistent with an employment goal can benefit. Also a low income parent that has transitioned off K-TAP government cash assistance within the past 12 months may still be able to receive a subsidy in some cases.

To learn more, call your local social service office. Or schedule an appointment or get more information by dialing 1-800-809-7076. They may be able to determine if you are eligible over the phone and advise on any waiting list in place.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy