latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental assistance in Charleston and Kanawha County.

Charities, churches and government agencies in Kanawha County provide emergency and long term rental assistance. The objective is to prevent homelessness, with a secondary goal of rehousing people into a more affordable home or apartment, including no wait list housing. Find help with rent near you in Charleston WV and Kanawha County.

Long term housing support is arranged. This means that security deposit help as well as section 8 vouchers may also be offered as part of the Charleston rent assistance programs. A number of free government grant programs for rent as well as money for security deposits will be explored. If those are not a possibility, or if funding is not available, then other services will include transitional housing or free legal aid for tenants to help a family enter into a payment plan for any back rent due. Housing choice vouchers, including immediate section 8, can also be an option for seniors, the disabled, or single mothers in Kanawha County. Locate a free single mom apartment program.

Financial aid is very limited. Emergency funds for paying rent or utility bill may be issued one time per year, if at all. Almost all of the agencies will also require the applicant to agree to a case management process as well to address the cause of their hardship. More information on applying for rent, energy bill help, and other emergency financial help for housing is below.

Get help with paying rent in Kanawha County from these organizations

Common Grounds
Address is 6600 Mccorkle Ave SE, Charleston, WV 25304. Call (304) 720-9690
Churches, including Village Chapel Presbyterian and St. Agnes Catholic, may offer emergency rental or utility help. The charity only supports a limited part of Kanawha County.

Salvation Army is a leading social service agency. The main address is 301 Tennessee Ave, Charleston, WV 25302. Rental assistance is only offered for families in public housing or that come from a Magistrate Court. Emergency funds, electric bill help, and other aid for housing, maybe even free hotel or motel vouchers. Dial (304) 343-4548




Capital Resource Agency - Upper Kanawha Valley
Address: 12404 Maccorkle Avenue, Charleston, West Virginia 25315. Telephone - (304) 949-6077
Rent help may be offered by this non-profit community action agency for low income families facing eviction. They also offer household items, referrals to resources such as section 8 or public housing, and employment resources. A goal is to stabilize housing as well as employment. Find more information on rental assistance from Capital Resource Agency.

Catholic Charities
Location of center is 1024 Quarrier St, Charleston, West Virginia 25301. Or try the location at 1116 Kanawha Blvd East, Charleston, WV 25301. Main phone number is (304) 380-0162
Only income qualified families with a court ordered eviction notice can apply for rent help. Priority is for working families, the disabled, single mothers or fathers or senior citizens in Kanawha County. Catholic Charities provide financial help for rent and bills, as well as other services, regardless of faith or religion.

Covenant House Drop-in Center
600 Shrewsbury Street, Charleston, West Virginia 25301. Call (304) 344-8053
Very limited funds or loans for expenses ranging from rent to security or utility deposits. A strict application process is in place, and residents from Kanawha County can only apply for help with their rental needs at most once per year.

Heart and Hand House - St Johns United Methodist Church
212 D St, Charleston, WV 25303. Call (304) 744-6741
An outreach ministry provides limited financial help, free furniture to a tenant, and support services. Money for rent or housing in Kanawha County is limited.

  • Community Development Outreach Ministries - 212 D St, South Charleston, WV 25303. Main phone: (304) 342-0029. Programs range from limited financial aid to home repairs, access to the Heart and Hand House for furniture, and more. A partner is also Heart and Hand Putnam, which may have grants for heating costs or money for partial rent payments.





Free Legal Aid - Charleston
922 Quarrier St, Charleston, WV 25301. Call (304) 343-4481
Housing and eviction help is offered from Pro Bono attorneys and law firms. Free lawyers help tenants with an eviction notice. They can give free consultations to help renters stay in their leased home or apartment.

Legal aid, government grants, and motel vouchers
Agencies in Charleston and the county offer applications to one time rental assistance programs, provide short term housing, and other guidance in an effort to end homelessness. Some of the rent or deposit help is targeted at single parents, veterans, or seniors. More on Charleston eviction and rehousing assistance.

Mountain Mission
Main address: 1620 7th Avenue
Charleston, West Virginia 25312
Phone - (304) 344-3407
Basic needs, such as transportation, a portion of rent, medical equipment, and more is available.

Charleston-Kanawha Housing Authority
1525 West Washington St., Charleston, WV 25387. Call (304) 348-6451
The organization processes HUD Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers. This is an ongoing rental subsidy program in which families are charged based on their income. They also manage low income apartments and public housing.

Eviction help from non-profits
For referrals to everything from low income housing to rent or security deposit assistance, homeless shelters, government grants, and more call this Kanawha County referral service. There is information on low-cost loans, government grant money to help with rent, deposit help as well as other resources.

Mayor's Office of Economic and Community Development
105 McFarland Street, Charleston, West Virginia 25301. Phone - (304) 348-8000
The office may have information on government grants for rent, energy costs, and other housing needs as part of the federal Rapid Rehousing and Homeless Prevention program. This will both help to stop homelessness (from utility bill or rent help) as well as assist with deposits, storage, and moving costs.

Health and Human Services- Kanawha County
4190 Washington Street, Charleston, WV 25313. Phone(304) 746-2360
They have many social services, including emergency funds for housing (rent or utilities), cash assistance, refugee or immigrant programs and more.




Tyler Mountain Cross Lanes only offers basic needs and resources to residents of the Tyler Mountain and Cross Lanes communities. Free furniture, rent help, advice, housing counseling and more. The non-profit is at 5320 Frontier Dr, Charleston, West Virginia 25313. Call (304) 776-5813.

There are three locations that offer a combination of transitional housing/shelter. There are centers for veterans, the homeless, single adults in Kanawha County and people living in poverty.

  • Brookside Family Life Center - 705 South Park Road, Charleston, WV 25304, dial (304) 925-9625
  • Liberty Center is at 609 Shrewsbury Street, Charleston, WV 25301, telephone (304) 414-3114
  • Samaritan Inn offers both housing and support services. The location is 1117 Quarrier Street, Charleston, West Virginia 25301, dial (304) 343-9632.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page