Jersey City and Hudson County Salvation Army assistance programs.
Hudson County New Jersey Salvation Army Corps Community Centers and Family Services will try to help those who are less fortunate and most at risk. Assistance programs offered can address needs such as food, emergency expenses such as rent and utilities, clothing, and more. Many services are focused on families with children, including offering them Christmas meals and free gifts as well as childcare programs.
Food assistance includes food pantries, soup kitchens, and other centers. Almost all Hudson County Community Centers operate free food pantries on site, and the centers focus on providing healthy meals, perishable items, and as assortment of food. Typical items distributed from pantries include canned goods, holiday meals and other non perishable items.
Soup kitchens and congregate feeding programs operate around the county. These focus on the homeless and near homeless. Please call for the hours and days of operation. The Salvation Army is focused on feeding the hungry, homeless, immigrants, and less fortunate in the Jersey City region. There are also referrals to other free Hudson County food pantries.
Additional meals and feeding services are available. These include distribution of food baskets and Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday meals, Sunday feeding programs, and more. You can stop by a center near you, or call the New Jersey Salvation Army State Headquarters at 908-851-9300.
Childcare Programs are available in locations including The Salvation Army's Morristown and Jersey City Corps. Some of the resources focus on preschool needs. Access after school programs, food, and social activities for children. The Jersey City location is at 201-435-7355.
Clothing assistance is provided. Items are available for work or school. Qualified Hudson County families can gain access to new and gently used clothing for distribution. Many of the items are gently used, but from time to time certain Salvation Army centers may have new clothes.
Disaster programs – Volunteers and full time Hudson County New Jersey Salvation Army staff are usually the first on the scene to help when a disaster strikes. They can bring psychological support, immediate aid, and spiritual counsel to families and individuals of all income and backgrounds. They can help with fires, earthquakes, floods, and other disasters.
Homeless services are offered by Salvation Army facilities in Hudson County. The homeless and near homeless can receive assistance for basic needs including free food, shelter, case management, clothing, information and referral.
Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving assistance - The Salvation Army helps thousands of Hudson County New Jersey residents. Low income families, especially families with children and seniors, can get free toys, clothing food, meals, visitations and other support during the holidays. Read more holiday assistance.
Home repairs can be provided by some centers. Some parts of the region may have senior volunteers who can assist elderly and seniors with minor home repairs, with a focus on safety.
Social Services for Military Personnel and Veterans – Volunteers and officers will try to visit military members and veterans throughout the year.
Operation Red Shield – This program may offer assistance to veterans, current military personnel, and also their dependent family members. Receive support including pastoral counseling, information, referrals, advocacy, and needs-based financial assistance and cash grants.
Senior Services include Nutrition Programs. Resources administered include Meals On Wheels and congregate feedings and meal sites. Many centers serve breakfast and lunch daily to seniors and the elderly. They may also offer many related educational and recreational activities, as well as information on government programs such as Medicare.
Addresses of Hudson County NJ Salvation Army centers
As noted bellow, there are several locations. They include the social service centers for food, case management or rent/utility bill help as well as the low cost thrift stores that sell gently used items. Other support is offered too. Hudson County families can stop by for the help they need.
- Jersey City Corps, 562 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, New Jersey 07304-4237, call 201-435-7355
- Kearny Corps, 28 Beech Street, P.O. Box 489, Kearny, NJ 07032, 201-991-1115
- North Bergen Corps. Offers services in Portuguese too. 441 62nd Street, West New York, NJ 07093. Dial 201-295-0220
- Union City Corps, 515 43rd Street, P.O. Box 4508, Union City, New Jersey 07087-2611. Primary number 201-867-4093
- Bayonne, Hoboken, and Jersey City residents dial 201-435-7355
- East Newark, Harrison, Kearny, Lyndhurst, North Arlington families call 201-991-1115
- Salvation Army center of Guttenberg, North Bergen, Secaucus, Union City, Weehawken, West New York. Call 201-867-4093
- Adult Rehabilitation Centers, Jersey City, 248 Erie Street, Jersey City, NJ, 07302. Phone 201-653-3071
Salvation Army Thrift Stores in Hudson County
- Bayonne, 482 Avenue C, Bayonne, New Jersey, 201-823-2217
- Jersey City, 242 Martin Luther King Blvd., Jersey City, NJ, telephone 201-433-4616
- North Bergen, 7425 Bergenline Avenue, North Bergen, NJ, 201-861-4371
- Union City, 900 Kennedy Blvd, Union City, NJ, primary phone 201-866-0680
- Jersey City, 248 Erie Street, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302, main number 201-653-3071