latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Idaho disability benefit programs.

Find assistance programs for disabled adults and kids in Idaho. Several programs are available, including free government grant money, supportive housing, homecare, job programs and more. Many of the benefits, including SSI or SSDI, are administered by the Department of Health and Welfare, often in partnership with other state organizations or non-profit agencies. Get financial help and social services for disabled people in ID.

Benefits are also available regardless of age or income and they can assist children, seniors, caregivers, and others. There is also information on applying for temporary, or short term disability in ID. The state will ensure job training and vocational programs are in place, that the disabled can receive home delivered meals, get access to energy bill assistance, and more. While each resource will have a formal application process in place, there are different options available for clients, including for medical supplies. Learn more on how to get free medical supplies with a low income.

Financial assistance, food, and grants for disabled people in ID

The Department of Developmental Disabilities, or DD, which is part of the Department of Health and Welfare, assists both adults and children with disabilities. What may be offered to the handicapped includes, but is not limited to, home modifications, physical and occupational therapy, housing, or free chore services. There is also nursing services, employment support, free food, respite care, habilitative supports, and crisis intervention. There is also cash for disabled people from Temporary Assistance for Families in Idaho (TAFI).

The benefits provided will ideally result in improvements such as receptive and expressive language, self-care, learning, self-direction, capacity for independent living, or economic self-sufficiency. There is also applications for SSI in Idaho from the social security administration. Clients will receive generic care, treatment or other services which are often as long as needed.

There is also grant money for disabled individuals in ID, and the funds can be used to pay any type of bills. This can include for personal needs, such as clothes or RXs, or private housing, including rent or a mortgage. Or use the grant money to pay for phones, cable, and other quality of life items. Learn more on Cable TV bill assistance.




Idaho’s self direction program is known as My Voice, My Choice. It is the Developmental Disabilities Waiver and will give residents more control over the Medicaid benefits they receive. The individual will be able to select the services and support that fit their family needs.

  • Medicaid will help disabled adults in Idaho. It will provide them with free medical care, dental, and even pay for implants or dentures. This is for both low-income families and any person with a disability, as Medicaid is a combination of state and federal benefit. Learn more on how to go about paying for dentures with Medicaid.

Disability accessible Housing programs are offered for those with developmental disabilities. The state will ensure they have community support and accommodations they need.

  • Certified Family Homes is a family style operation that coordinates daily living for those who do not require a more restrictive institutional setting. Not only will the people with a handicap they have a place to stay, but a case management plan will also be put into place for the disabled client.
  • Supported Living Services will allow people to reside in a home of their choice provided they meet Developmental Disabilities guidelines. Assistance and benefits may include home modifications and improvements, chore services, and free or low cost home delivered meals.
  • RALF, or the Licensed Residential and Assisted Living Facilities, are group living homes and arrangements.
  • Immediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities is a group home for children or adults with developmental disabilities.
  • Long Term Care and/or a Skilled Nursing Facility’s can meet the health and medical care needs.
  • The Southwest Idaho Treatment Center, or SWITC, is the state’s intermediate care facility.

Department of Health and Welfare processes applications for state and federal government benefits. Even learn about temporary disability grant money or social security SSI payments for the handicapped. These will be more financial in nature. Examples include SNAP free food stamps, heating bill assistance from LIHEAP, section 8 vouchers and more. Almost all of these benefits will be for low income families in Idaho with a disabled member. Call 1-877-456-1233.





Idaho Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (IDVR) will help residents get a job. Case managers will help the disabled in securing and maintaining productive employment. Some of the assistance includes planning for entry or re-entry into the workforce, vocational guidance and counseling for adjustment to disability, vocational exploration, training for career changes because of disability, tools and licenses to enter a specific trade or profession, and medical care.

  • There are also non-traditional jobs for people with a disability, including from home or part time. This will, in general, not impact SSI or social security payments. Learn about apps, gig roles, and even mystery shopping for at home work. More on mystery shopper jobs.

Receive training for those who need a career change because of disability, including on the job, vocational support-technical training, and more. Job development, medical check ups/physicals, and guidance are some of the other benefits offered. 650 West State Street, Room 150, Boise, ID 83702, call (208) 334-3390.

Adult Mental Health Services is available from local community centers that are based across Idaho. Examples of the mental health services include psychosocial rehabilitation, crisis screening and intervention, mental health screening, psychiatric clinical services, assertive community treatment, case management, individual and group therapy, benefit assistance, co-occurring disorders treatment, short-term mental health intervention and medications from patient assistance programs. Call (208) 334-5500.

Programs for disabled kids in Idaho

Children with a disability may receive home and community services. The Department of Health and Welfare as well as the Developmental Disability Services works to assist children. It coordinates a wide range of benefits for families with young children. Some of what may be offered includes Family Training, Respite, Interdisciplinary Training, Crisis Intervention and Supports, and Family Education. They can also get information on affordable, or maybe even free, medical care.

CSHP, or the Children’s Special Health Program, offers support, information, and guidance to parents of children with chronic illnesses and disabilities. Families can get information on benefits such as medical and rehabilitative care to uninsured and medications. The CSHP program covers conditions such as craniofacial, cardiac, neurologic, phenylketonuria (PKU), cystic fibrosis, orthopedic, and any combination of those. A key partner is the nationally renown Katie Beckett Program.




There is also parent support and peer to peer counseling. The Children’s Special Health Program works in close collaboration with other child/family efforts to link community-based social services, health and education agencies to the needy. Hospitals and pediatricians or family physicians often refer patients to the program. Get help with a number of conditions. Call (208) 334-5500.

Department of Health and Welfare’s Children’s Mental Health Program assists children with emotional challenges. They can get help in learning, working, and participating in community activities. Phone (208) 334-5500. It is often run in partner with the Idaho System of Care and services, which offers its own benefits to youth.

Additional Idaho agencies for the disabled

There are other agencies that help disabled adults in Idaho. There are services for kids, adults, or anyone in need. Get additional assistance below.

The Arc, Inc.
4402 Albion St, Boise, ID 83705. Call (208) 343-5583

Area Agency on Aging of North Idaho
Main address is 2120 Lakewood Drive, Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814. Toll-free 1-800-786-5536

Autism Society of Treasure Valley
P.O. Box 44831, Boise, ID 83711. Telephone: (208) 336-5676

Brain Injury Association of Idaho
P.O. Box 414, Boise, ID 83701. Call (888) 374-3447

Idaho Commission on Aging
6305 W Overland Rd Suite 110, Boise, ID 83709. Call (208) 334-3833.
They provide help to disabled adults, seniors that are homebound, and the frail in ID. Caregivers will also get help.

Idaho Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Address: 341 West Washington Street, P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0012. Call toll free 1-800-542-8688

Idaho Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Main address is 7950 W King St #101, Boise, ID 83704. Call (208) 334-0879

Idaho Council on Developmental Disabilities
Location is 802 West Bannock Street, Suite 308, Boise, ID 83702. Toll-free 1-800-544-2433
They process applications to government benefits, including for disabled people.

Idaho Department of Education
Location is 650 West State Street, Boise, ID 83720. Toll-free (800) 432-4601

Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Medicaid Program
There are seven regional health offices across Idaho. Main site is at 450 W State St, Boise, ID 83702. Dial (208) 334-5500

Idaho Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
650 West State Street, Room 150, Boise, ID 83702. Dial (208) 334-3390




Agency Idaho School for the Deaf and the Blind
1450 Main Street, Gooding, ID 83330. Main phone number is (208) 934-4457

Living Independence Network Corporation
703 S Kimball Ave, Caldwell, ID 83605. For intake, dial (208) 454-5511

National Multiple Sclerosis Society Idaho Office, All America Chapter
6901 West Emerald, Suite 207, Boise, ID 83704. Toll-free 1-800-344-4867

University of Idaho Center on Disabilities and Human Development
Main address is 1187 Alturas Dr, Moscow, ID 83843. Toll-free 1-800-393-7290


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site