Athens, Hocking, Perry County assistance programs.
Find how to get, and where to apply, for financial help as well as social services in the Athens County area, including Hocking and Perry. There are grants that help pay for back rent or security deposits, apartments that are rent free, emergency utility or water bill help and more. Everything from charities to churches to government assistance from Jobs and Family Services can help.
Not only may money or loans for paying bills be offered, but charities also give free stiff. There are services such as drug or alcohol counseling as well as free “material” goods such as food from pantries, Christmas toys during the holiday, or healthcare from clinics. Or get financial counseling including car loan help, gasoline vouchers, or free information on reducing debts on credit cards or medical bills.
Resources for financial help or free basic items
The Perry Housing Coalition is a non-profit focused on preventing and ending homelessness. Another goal is to provide residents access to affordable, safe housing and make it housing available to all Perry County residents that qualify. 740.454.1223.
Information and referrals can be provided by the Ohio Benefit Bank. Residents across the state, including in Athens and Hocking, can get information on and apply for numerous government and public assistance programs. Examples include Veterans Education Benefits, heating bill assistance from HEAP, Homelessness Prevention Assistance, FAFSA as well as get help in filing federal and state income taxes from one location. 740.454.1223.
Clearing House Assistance Program (CHAP) offers medical assistance, free emergency food and transportation to needy residents in the region. The agency helps needy and low income residents in Hocking County Ohio and the agency and its staff also delivers emergency food boxes to Murray City and Carbon Hill. 1880 Linton Rd, Logan, OH 43138, dial 740-385-1809
Hocking County Council on Aging offers assistance to seniors and the elderly. The offices covers Logan, Laurelville, Carbon Hill and Murray City. Free food, transportation, information on medical care, medications, and more is available. They also run the Scenic Hills Senior Center. A focus is on meeting medical needs, including prescription drugs. Call 800-662-4800, or find free prescription medications.
Laurelville Community Food Pantry & Emergency Clothing Center serves the towns of Benton, Laurel, Perry & Salt Creek. Clothing, food, and other emergency needs and assistance is made available. The elderly may also receive home delivered meals.
Catholic Social Services of Zanesville offers social services, emergency financial aid, shelter, and holiday assistance. There are churches that help too. Telephone number is 740-452-5057.
The Salvation Army has several centers in the region. Resources offered include Emergency Shelter Program, Utility Assistance Program, and a free Hot Meal Program. Any financial aid is only for a crisis and also as a last resort. Homeless prevention can include emergency rental or even heating bill assistance.
The Salvation Army also offers social services and free support. There are drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs or houses. Children can get free back to school supplies and adults case management. Or get seasonal items such as free Christmas toys or gifts from Adopt a Family or Thanksgiving meals.
- 515 Putnam Avenue, Zanesville, Ohio 43701, dial 740-452-8350.
- 900 East State Street, Athens, OH 45701, (740) 593-7082
Athens Friend Meeting supports only Chauncey (Chansee) low income families. There may be utility bill help paid directly to the company and other aid. There are funds for heating, water, and electric bills and maybe prescription drug programs. The address is 22 Birge Drive, Chauncey, OH 45719, or dial (740) 797-4636.
Integrated Services Of Appalachian Ohio offers homeless prevention. This includes rent, security deposit assistance and other supportive and housing services. Address is 11 Graham Drive, Athens, OH 45701, (740) 594-6807
Athens County Veterans Service Office administers temporary financial assistance for households with veterans, those with dependents, and even widows/widowers of veterans. Food, housing, medical care, and help with government benefits is offered. 70 North Plains Road, The Plains, Ohio 45780, dial (740) 592-3216
Department Of Job And Family Services - Each county has one of these government offices. The centers offer emergency, short-term financial assistance for working poor and low-income families. Get financial assistance for electric, heating fuel and water bill disconnections. Funds for housing, including rent or mortgages may be offered in order to prevent an eviction or foreclosure. Food stamps, TANF, and other cash assistance is provided.
- Athens County, 13183 State Route 13, Millfield, Ohio 45761, (740) 593-5046
- Perry County 212 S Main St New Lexington, OH 43764, (740) 342-3551
- Hocking County, 389 W Front St Logan, Ohio 43138, dial (740) 380-1545 for intake.
- Several other public aid programs are offered. Click here for national and local public aid resources.
Metropolitan Housing Authorities for section 8 operate in Athens Ohio as well as Logan for Hocking County. They give requirements of section 8 housing vouchers, rental units, and local landlords and homes that are available. There is also self-sufficiency, mortgage vouchers, and more. The offices are at 33601 Pine Ridge Dr, Logan, Ohio 43138, phone (740) 385-3883. Another MHA is at 10 Hope Dr, Athens, OH 45701. Call (740) 592-4481. Or find section 8 applications online.
Hocking, Athens, Perry Community Action agency provides services and anti-poverty measures to the community.
- TEFAP - Emergency Food Assistance Program is a federal funded program that addresses hunger by providing free food and groceries. USDA commodities are offered to qualified families (seniors, children, and the elderly) in need through The Southeastern Ohio Food Bank pantry network. Another food program is CSFP. Aid is offered for those residents age 60 or older and/or newborns and infants.
- Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program may be able to help prevent someone from being evicted, offer rent help or case managers from the agency can help you find alternate housing quickly in case of an eviction notice.
- Emergency Heating Bill Assistance Program (HEAP) Winter Crisis Program is administered by the Hocking, Athens, Perry Community Action agency. Grants and funds may be offered for those who are unable to pay their gas or heating bill during the winter. This is a onetime only benefit to income eligible households to assist with a crisis situation such as a disconnect notice. More on utility bill assistance in Ohio.
- The Summer Cooling Crisis Program may be able to help those with a medical condition stay cool during the summer months. Electric and air conditioning bills may be paid.
- Head Start is available to income qualified children that are preschool aged. It qualified, meals, food, and education is provided for free. Parents can also benefit from job training and partnering with a case manager from the non-profit agency on other social services.
- Home Weatherization Assistance Program can help those families faced with expensive home energy bills. The resource is also known as HWAP, and this is a free energy assistance program designed to increase the energy efficiency of dwellings and homes in Hocking and Perry County.
- Community Actions Helps with day care for toddlers, newborns, and children. Parents need to be working or in job training. There are resources in Athens Ohio and nearby towns for this government run service, or find free day care for kids in Ohio.
- Home Rehabilitation is an option for families that can’t pay for repairs on their own. It can bring a home up to state and local code and also ensure the health and safety of the family. Some improvements can include replacement of plumbing hazards, Replacement of heating, furnaces and/or water heaters, Restoration of water and sewer safety, and much more.
- Child/Youth programs offered by the community action agency include Family Day Care, Hocking Workforce Youth Program, Free Car Seat Program, and the BackPack Food Program.
There are several centers in the region. The main community action agency office is at 3 Cardaras Drive, Glouster, Ohio 45732-0220. Call (740) 767-4500 for information and referrals.
Free food pantries and feeding assistance programs
Athens County Food Pantry - Amesville Presbyterian Church, (800) 338-4484. They also have a soup kitchen for hot meals, clothes, and other goods.
Good Works at Luhrig Road can be reached at (740) 594-3336.
Salvation Army provides a number of services. They include a food pantry, free Christmas meals and gifts, school supplies, clothing and also basic needs. 900 East State Street, Athens, Ohio 45701, dial (740) 593-7082 for intake.
St Vincent Depaul Society administers emergency assistance, food, free groceries, and referrals as well. A home delivered meal service is offered for seniors as well. A thrift store and emergency financial aid is offered. Call (740) 592-2711.
Friends And Neighbors Community Center runs a food bank. 24576 Parkersburg Road, Coolville, OH 45723. Call (740) 667-0684 for hours. Meals on Wheels is offered for the elderly and homebound as well.
Smith Chapel United Methodist Church is located at 1333 E. Front St., Logan, Ohio 43138. Call 740-380-6132 or 740-385-5474. The charity offers free emergency food and clothing to Hocking County residents.
Eastside Community Ministry administers the Emergency Relief Services and Youth Program. 221 Stillwell Street, Zanesville, Ohio 43701, 740-452-7519
AIDS Resource Center runs a food pantry from Athens, OH 45701. Dial (740) 331-0407.
Bishopville Church Of Christ is located in Glouster. Call the pantry in a crisis at (740) 767-3816 or (740) 767-2866.
First Baptist Church Of Nelsonville - Telephone (740) 753-3431
Nelsonville Food Cupboard has emergency bags of food, groceries, and perishable items. They also serve hot meals at Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. The address is 83 Washington Street. (740) 753-3810.
Faith Believers Ministry, 8137 State Route 356, New Marshfield, Ohio 45766. Call (740) 664-3508.
The Plains United Methodist Church is based at 3 North Plains Road. Fruits, vegetables, baby formula, diapers, and more may be served. (740) 797-4163
Rural Action is based at 19627 Walnut Street, Trimble, OH 45782. Call (740) 767-4938. Low income families, immigrants, seniors and others can get free food and other support.
The Living Word Ministries provides food once a month in Perry County. 3860 State Route 37 W Junction City, Ohio 43748. Dial 740-987-2378.
New Lexington Food Pantry - 740-342-3551
Roseville Community Food Pantry may have free groceries, meals, formula, clothing, winter coats and more. 146 Main Street Roseville, Ohio 43777, 740-849-3121
Somerset United Methodist Church, 139-41 E. Main Street, Somerset, Ohio 43783. Phone 740-743-1029. Canned groceries, paper products, products such as soap or detergent and other goods can be offered.
Southeast Perry Food Pantry - 115 Corning Avenue, Corning, Ohio 43730, telephone 740-347-4445
Thornville Food Pantry can be called at 740-246-6576.