Hampton Roads and Eastern Virginia free Christmas and holiday assistance.
Several holiday programs are available across the Hampton Roads Virginia area. Many of them are run by the same agency or combine resources in an effort to help as many children or senior citizens as possible. Depending on what has been donated, as well as the number of applications, there may be everything from free toys to hot Thanksgiving or Christmas meals and other presents provided. Some examples of what may be offered include Operation Blessing, The Joy Fund, Angel Tree, Toys for Tots and others.
The region covered is extensive. There may be holiday assistance for households in Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News, Williamsburg, Hampton, and also Poquoso. The charities provide help to families in need, with a focus on children and teenagers. Another priority is to provide a free meal or companionship to the elderly in the Hampton Roads region.
There are a few charities to call for gifts, however the leading agency is the Salvation Army. These programs may offer everything from small toys to Christmas stockings, free presents for under the tree, clothes, and food baskets.
Hampton Roads Salvation Army branches
They operate many of the holiday programs, including Angel Tree, and accept applications for others, such as The Joy Fund. The enrollment period is usually in August or September. To receive a free toy or Christmas help, bring proof of income, identification, government benefits and more.
There are several centers in the region of Hampton Roads, including in Portsmouth, Norfolk, and other cities. Or churches also partner with the Salvation Army on these Christmas programs. They collect books, games, bikes, and other gifts for the needy.
- 5524 Virginia Beach Boulevard,Virginia Beach, Virginia, dial 757-499-0032.
- Another local office is at 2093A General Booth Boulevard is located in Virginia Beach. Call 757-427-0279.
- A corps center is at 2306 Airline Blvd, Portsmouth, VA 23701. The Salvation Army holiday line is (757) 393-2519.
- 1136 S. Lynnhaven Parkway Salvation Army center is also inVirginia Beach, VA. Phone – 757-468-0185.
- Another center is at 901 Eden Way, Chesapeake, Virginia. Call 757-312-8598.
- 157 W Washington Street is in Suffolk, VA. For information, call 757-934-6173.
- Address is 1401 Ballentine Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23504. Dial (757) 543-8100.
The churches below may also be able to refer residents to holiday programs. There are both free Thanksgiving meals and resources available at Easter or Christmas. They also collect donated gifts.
- South Norfolk Baptist - 1101 Chesapeake Ave., Chesapeake, Virginia 23324
- St. John’s AME Church is in Norfolk, and the address is 545 E. Bute St.
- Kempsville Christian Church is at 5424 Parliament Dr., VA Beach, 23462.
- The KROC Community Center is a key partner. The location is 1401 Ballantine Blvd., Norfolk, VA 23504.
- Thalia UMC is at 4321 Virginia Beach Blvd..
STOP community action organization of Hampton Roads
Mailing address is 2551 Almeda Avenue
Norfolk, Virginia 23513
Phone – 757-858-1360
The case managers are involved in several assistance programs for low income families. Among them include food, job placement and referrals, so they may be a source of information on holiday assistance.
Catholic Charities of Easter Virginia
4855 Princess Anne Rd, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23464. Dial (757) 467-7707 for information.
Another site is at 12829 Jefferson Ave # 101, Newport News. Phone:(757) 875-0060
Free meals, small toys, and gift give-aways may take place. Churches and the volunteers at the local churches offer social services and support for children and working poor families with no other options.
Toys for Tots of Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach
Applications can be done online or at the Salvation Army, as noted above. Thousands of children and low income parents, including single moms, receive presents, free gift cards, and other support each year.
The Union Mission Ministries
Address is 5100 East Virginia Beach Blvd
Norfolk, Virginia 23502
For applications, dial (757) 627-8686
A program known as Hope for the Holidays is available. This provides both Thanksgiving turkeys and Christmas toys to children under the age of 12. Seniors may also have a Christmas meal delivered to them by volunteers.