Eviction prevention and rehousing in Guilford County.

Residents of Guilford County that have an eviction notice from their landlord as well as the currently homeless in the Greensboro area can apply for any number of homeless prevention programs. There are many agencies in the region, including in High Point as well, that are part of the Continuum of Care. Eviction help is provided by non-profits such as the Housing Coalition, partners of the United Way, and other groups.

There is pro-active support given to families that are currently struggling, or that may fall behind on their rent or utilities in the future. There is also a crisis component to the eviction programs in Guilford County, and this will help those tenants with an immediate pay or quit notice from their landlord or property owner. There are different forms of support given to the applicant based on their needs.

Eviction prevention programs in Guilford County

Families, individuals, single mothers or lone adults are assisted. There is also help for immigrants, Spanish and non-English-speakers, seniors, and others. The bottom line is that anyone that is struggling with paying their housing costs and that may be threatened with an eviction as a result can be assisted. Agencies that receive funding can't discriminate based on any criteria.

Assistance is paid for using Housing and Urban Development (HUD) grants. Non-profits use the money they are given from the federal government to help the less fortunate. The grants may be used to assist with arrears on rent or late fees. When this is done, the applicant needs to pay future housing costs on their own.

Guilford County families may be current with the rent due to their landlord, but maybe other expenses they have are falling behind. To this end, eviction assistance can also deal with utility bills or legal disputes. If the water is about to be disconnected in a home (making it uninhabitable) then government grants can help with that payment too. Any expense that, if left unpaid, that could be a cause of homelessness may be covered, if the applicant qualifies.

Rapid rehousing in Greensboro area

There are some specialty focused programs, such as Shelter Plus Care which can help the mentally ill or disabled. Homeless military families in Guilford County can apply for grants and case management from Supportive Services for Veteran Families. There are also shelters, motel vouchers, and other programs too. All potential solutions that may satisfy a client's needs will be covered.





When someone is homeless, either due to an eviction or a foreclosure (or any other reason such as fleeing domestic violence), organizations such as the Housing Coalition will be used. They will arrange assistance is the form of funds for paying security deposits to a legal review of a lease. If the family needs to put some of their belongs into very short term storage, then HUD grants may be used for paying that cost as well.

With the demand for affordable housing being very high in the city of Greensboro, and too many families on the verge of eviction, rehousing often has a waiting list. This is also true for both section 8 and public housing as well. It can be a struggle to move someone into a shelter if they are all full, and some expenses such as deposits as well as rent payments can be difficult to pay. But Continuum of Care affiliated non-profits will be their best to help.

Criteria for homeless prevention

If the reason for being without a home is due to an eviction, or if the Guilford County resident is homeless, they can seek help. But applicants need to meet the criteria that are in place.

  • Case management is required.
  • Emergency eviction help will require applicants to have a Notice to Quit or Notice to Terminate from their landlord.
  • Individuals need a source of income to pay future rental costs on their own, as the aid is very short term in nature.
  • Other criteria include, but are not limited too, proof of income, residency, documentation that shows the person is out of resources, and more.




Most agencies may not be able to assist. But referrals can often be given. Residents of the High Point area can dial 336-885-0191 for information on eviction prevention while another intake line is at 336-691-9521.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy