latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rent assistance in Galveston County.

Locate information on the leading agencies to call for rental assistance in Galveston Texas. Several charities, non-profits, churches and government programs may have emergency funds or vouchers. The programs will help pay rent or security deposits or provide low-income, subsidized housing units. The goal is to prevent evictions and stop homelessness in the city of Galveston as well as larger county, and housing assistance is often combined with free legal aid or budgeting programs.

There are assistance programs available in Galveston to both help people pay their rent, as well as find and move into low income housing. Many of the non-profits are also a great place for information and referrals. Staff at the centers have information on government grant programs, loans for helping with rent, moving cost assistance, free legal lawyers to prevention evictions and other housing solutions.

Families and individuals in the region can learn about federal government or state of Texas low income housing options, including section 8 HUD vouchers and homeless prevention. There are housing or emergency rental assistance resources for single moms, immigrants, the elderly and others. Counselors at the organizations can oftentimes help people apply for longer term government grants at the same time as offering more immediate emergency rent help.

Galveston County Social Services - Financial assistance programs, including for housing, are provided to individuals and families in need residing in Galveston County. These social services include rent help and section 8 low income housing. The social service agency has office locations in Galveston, League City, and Texas City. The office combines free government grants with temporary cash assistance as well as other housing resources. Call for more information and to apply for rent help, grants, LIHEAP and more,

  • League City office - Dial 281-316-8733 or (409)765-2933. The address is 174 Calder Road, Suite 142, League City, TX 77573
  • Galveston office is at (409)770-5803. Location is 123 25th St, Suite 4127, Galveston, Texas 77550
  • Texas City phone number - (409)770-5803. Address is 2516 Texas Avenue, Texas City, TX 77590

Catholic Charities has multiple sites. Many types of rent and homeless prevention assistance is offered for families, especially those with children. They also help immigrants and single mothers. Some of the assistance programs include children and family counseling services, outreach, rental and assistance with energy bills. The charity also offers free legal aid, which can assist with landlord/tenant evictions. More on rent assistance from Galveston County Catholic Charities.




The locations of Catholic Charities includes 4700 Broadway, Galveston, Texas 77551. Dial 409-762-2064. Other Catholic Charities for Basic Needs is at 712 5th Ave. North, Texas City, TX 77590. The main number is 409-948-0405

Galveston County Community Action Council, Inc. - Dial the non-profit at (409)762-8418. The main office is at 4700 Broadway Suite, Galveston, Texas 775501. Federal and state government grant programs are available. The staff offer application assistance for programs such as homeless prevention, financial aid for renters and SNAP food stamps. They have information on government grants and resources that can assist with paying security deposits. A leading organization to call to either get funding for, or learn about, emergency rental assistance and eviction prevention.

Gulf Coast Center offers support, mostly to veterans, The main rent and housing program is PATH, which is Pathway for those facing homelessness or evictions. It includes transitional housing, case management, employment, and other services. There are also applications to SSVF, which can help pay maybe future rental, security and utility deposit help. There may also be Housing First programs for the homeless. The address is 3828 Ursuline St, Galveston, Texas 77550. The PATH phone number is (800) 643-0967 or dial (409) 944-4337.

Galveston County HUD-VASH Program is for veterans. It can stop homelessness as well as rehouse veterans (and their families). Get government grants, veteran benefits, emergency funds to pay rent to stop evictions, legal aid and more. The non-profit is at 3828 Avenue N, Galveston, TX 77550-6614. Call (409) 765-1900. Using government grants, the non-profit provides assistance for back rent expenses, and in some cases the funds may be issued in the form of an emergency loan. Other help is for security deposits and referrals to low income housing.

The Jesse Tree provides short term housing solutions, including homeless shelters and potentially free motel vouchers. There may be meals, possible rent or utility help. guidance and more. The phone number is (409) 682-6218 for housing solutions. The charity address is 1619 Sealy Ave, Galveston, Texas 77550.

Galveston Housing Authority is the PHA. Among some of the programs and services offered, the Galveston Housing Authority provides emergency rental as well as housing payment assistance. In addition, the local Housing Authority also can help qualified low income and working poor residents obtain Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV)  from the federal government.





Last, but not least, the Galveston Housing Authority offers Family Self-Sufficiency Programs to include Educational, Job Finding, and other programs. There is also emergency section 8 vouchers. The Galveston office phone number is 409-765-1900, and address is 4700 Broadway, Galveston, Texas 77551.

Hitchcock Family Welfare assists low income renters from the town only. Main office address - 6915 2nd Street, Hitchcock, TX 77563. Dial 409-572-2473 or (409)986-5632. Hitchcock families can apply for help. The services provided include housing, clothing, rental payment assistance, and utility bills. There is cash aid from welfare too.

The Children's Center, Inc. runs the Gulf Coast Outreach and Assistance Program. Located at 4700 Broadway Galveston Island Community Center, Galveston, Texas 77551. The agency supports seniors and low income families. A combination of no interest loans and other monetary assistance is for paying rent. Advice on housing challenges is also provided. Call the non-profit at (409) 765-6561.

Only women (or migrants) fleeing domestic violence, abuse, or sexual violence can get help from Resource and Crisis Center of Galveston County. There is legal aid, supportive services (including financial help for rent or security/utility deposits), furniture and more. The address is 1204 45th Street, Galveston, Texas 77550. Dial (409) 763-1441. Any emergency financial help for housing, rent, or bills is one time only.

Grants and Housing Department offers referrals. The main address is 2508 Ball Avenue, Galveston, TX 77550. They have details on homeless prevention and rapid rehousing as well as loans or grants for buying a home. Call (409) 797-3500.

Interfaith Caring Ministries is for families, tenants, or individuals in the Clear Creek Or Friendswood Independent School Districts only. The charity offers referrals, senior outreach, assistance with rent and more. The address is 151 Park Ave, League City, Texas 77573. any rent help or seasonal support is one time only. Phone - (281) 332-3881.

Lighthouse Christian Ministries helps the low income, single parents, underemployed and others. Call (281)339-3033 for information. The Ministry is at 800 Grand Ave, Bacliff, Texas 77518. A number of financial assistance programs are run. One of the leading social services and charity type organizations in Galveston County Texas. Get help with rent and preventing evictions, food, and help with other bills and expenses.

Lone Star Legal Aid, Galveston Office is at 2200 Market Street, Suite 301, Galveston, TX 77550-1802.
For intake, dial (409) 763-0381. Free legal representation and advice can stop evictions, help tenants with unsafe housing, and resolve disputes over deposits held in escrow or rent payments. They also ensure safe housing is available in the greater Galveston County area.

M.I. Lewis Social Service Center (address is  215 FM 517 Rd E, Dickinson, Texas 77539). Call (281) 534-2043. Offers the low income, unemployed, and other income qualified individuals with emergency rental and housing payment assistance. Programs are focused on residents of Dickinson, Bacliff, and San Leon Texas.  School supplies, clothing, and other vouchers are offered.





Santa Fe Family Service and West Galveston Ministry office address is 4205 Jackson Street, Santa Fe, TX 77510. Call (409) 925-4697 or  (409)927-4133. Appointments are needed. Get help with basic needs, including rent and utilities. An on-site service referral center/program also makes resource referrals to government programs and local organizations. Services and assistance is targeted at clients in need for help with counseling services, housing, rent, and other services.

The Salvation Army
Call or stop by for food pantry, rent assistance, counseling or placement into a homeless shelter. There is also case management, rent and housing assistance. Or access free motel vouchers or a thrift store in Galveston County. Also get referrals and information on government services and programs. An overnight shelter is also available for homeless. More on Galveston County Salvation Army rent assistance.

  • Texas City office - Telephone number - (409)935-1190, 4210 Texas Ave, Texas City, Texas 77591
  • Galveston Mission - Call  (409)935-1190 or (409)736-1691. The location is 601 51st St, Galveston, TX 77551

St. Vincent's Episcopal House branch office is 2817 Post Office, Galveston, Texas 77550. Phone (409) 763-8521. Applicants for rent or utility assistance need an eviction notice from their landlord or property owner. There is help for Spanish speakers and immigrants too.


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page