latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rent assistance in Eaton and Calhoun County.

Eaton County as well as Calhoun County families can apply for rental assistance from the government, churches, charities and non-profits. Financial resources are often combined with social services to help break the cycle of homelessness. This can include case management, information on how to be a responsible tenant, and free legal support. Find the primary agencies to call for information on housing or one time rent or security deposit help below.

When applying for funds, the applicant should be prepared with proof of their hardship. While an agency will try to offer money to help with a rent or even utility payment for a low-income tenant, this is not common. Many of the organizations will instead offer referrals to other programs which may be able to help prevent an eviction, ranging from loans to placement into more affordable housing or free legal aid to stop evictions in the local housing court. However when rent relief is offered, the organization below will take a leading role in helping tenants, including single moms and senior citizens.

Where to get help with back rent

Housing Services Mid Michigan
Address is 319 South Cochran, Charlotte, Michigan 48813. Main phone - (517) 541-1180
The non-profit will mostly focus on veterans and their families. The main housing program, Supportive Services For Veterans Families (SSVH) offers various resources. There is free legal aid, eviction help, funds to pay for first months rent, and moving cost assistance. Advocacy for the veteran is also part of this program. There are also vouchers for a room to stay, and look here for homeless motel vouchers.

Human Services / DHS -  State grants as part of SER can assist with rent. There are also vouchers to pay for a motel (for a night or some in a crisis), food, furniture, and other emergency housing. The addresses are 1050 Independence Boulevard, Charlotte (dial (517) 543-0860) or another site is at 190 East Michigan Avenue, Battle Creek, MI 49014, phone (269) 966-1284.

Calhoun County Salvation Army
Address is 400 Capital Avenue NE, Battle Creek, MI 49017. Main phone - (269) 966-4162
Money may be issued for rent or a security deposit on an approved apartment or home. The non-profit can assist in a crisis.




Siren/Eaton Shelter
Address is 520 Robinson Street, Charlotte, MI 48813. For information, call (517) 543-4915
They only offer transitional housing to motivated families with a job. Case managers will then help the family find permanent housing or a low income apartment.

Saint Mary's Of Charlotte
Address is 807 St Marys Blvd, Charlotte, MI 48813. Call (517) 543-4319
When funding allows, up to $100 may be issued for back rent or a mortgage payment. People need to have applied to the Salvation Army, DHS and Capital Area Community Services first.

Rent subsidized housing is from section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers. There are agencies in both Calhoun as well as Eaton County. Very low income families, the disabled, seniors, and families in poverty can get apartments or private housing that is income based. The rent is based on their household income. There are also home buying services, self sufficiency and more. Dial (517) 541-1180 for the waiting list updates. The address is 319 S Cochran Rd, Charlotte, MI 48813.

Neighborhoods Inc. of Battle Creek
Location is 47 N Washington Ave, Battle Creek, MI 49037. Call (269) 968-1113
The charity offers emergency rental assistance, often immediately, to low-income families or parents with kids. The money can also help pay utility bills or moving costs.

Legal Services
Both Eaton and Calhoun County families can receive legal aid.
Phone: 1-800-968-0044

Society Of Saint Vincent Depaul - Saint Peter
Address is 515 East Knight, Eaton Rapids, MI 48827. Main phone - (517) 663-4735
Temporary rental or mortgage assistance is available as a form of homeless prevention. SVDP will help low-income families in Eaton County pay the bills, including rent, to stop an eviction.

First United Methodist Church
411 Harrison St, Grand Ledge, MI 48837. Call (517) 627-3256
Vouchers or direct financial aid can be issued for rent. The parish has applications to the Grand Ledge Emergency Assistance Program. Some applicants will only be given a low interest loan for housing expenses.





Albion Interfaith Ministries will only help with rent arrears, in some cases. There is not any money for a security or utility deposit. The address is 114 W Erie St, Albion, MI 49224, and dial (517) 358-0475 for an application.

First Baptist Church - Heart & Hands 17 Google reviews
Location is 9220 Kinneville Rd, Eaton Rapids, MI 48827. Call the charity for referrals at (517) 663-7104
Eaton County MI homeless people and tenants can get help, including funds for rent, housing and more.

Summit Pointe
Main address is 301 E Michigan Ave, Albion, MI 49224. Dial (269) 966-1460
They offer transitional housing to people with a substance abuse issue as well as eventual financial help to pay a security deposit or first months rent.

Community Action - Battle Creek Housing And Support Offices
Address is 175 Main Street
Battle Creek, Michigan 49014
Call 877) 422-2726 or (269) 965-7766
Rental assistance, case management, information on government grants, and more may be provided by the non-profit. Locate more information on community action agency in South Central MI.

Additional resources for housing and rent relief

There are several other programs available that can help stop evictions, rehousing the homeless and pay back rent among other things. The Continuum of Care organization in Eaton County is another place for information.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page