Dickson, Stewart, Houston and Humphreys assistance programs.
This area is sometimes referred to as the Highland Rim area of Tennessee, and below you will find a listing of non-profits, charities, and government programs which offer financial help for paying rent, energy bills, food, and counseling for matters such as foreclosure and debt counseling.
Financial assistance programs for paying bill and housing expenses
Walnut St Church of Christ of Dickson Tennessee ((615) 446-2909) may have help for those who meet certain age, household income, disability, need or other requirements, and the program is offered on site that makes rental payments for people who are at risk of eviction from their home or apartment. Food is also offered at this church.
Dickson County Help Center runs a low income energy assistance program that will help pay all or a portion of the monthly energy and/or utility bills of people whose utilities have already been shut off or who are at risk of being shut off and facing a disconnection. Applicants for the energy bill assistance will of course need to me meet age, income, disability, need or other requirements as established by the county and aid program. In addition a food pantry can provide free groceries and food to people who need help. Call the county at (615) 441-0076
Another religious or church based charity organization is St. Vincent DePaul Society. Regardless of your faith, this church provides emergency financial assistance and/or cash grants for paying utilities for residents of Humphreys County TN. Call (931) 582-8454
The Good Samaritans, Inc. can provide grants and help for paying utility bills, free food, and access to a new and/or used clothing pantry. They may also help coordinate home repairs for the disabled as well as seniors in the region of Stewart County Tennessee. The charity is based in Dover TN. Call (931) 232-5956
Residents of Humphreys, Dickson, Stewart, and Houston Tennessee can call and apply for help at the local Highland Rim Economic Corporation. While the main office is in Erin TN, all counties are served. Dial (931) 289-4101.
- Emergency assistance - Limited funding may be offered for expenses such as rent and energy bills.
- Rental and mortgage assistance - This housing program will help make housing and rental payments for people who are at risk of foreclosure and/or eviction and who meet age, income, disability, need or other requirements that are required.
- Federal government Emergency Food and Shelter Program - This government run financial assistance program can help individuals with special emergency needs that need to be met for paying rent, mortgage, food, cooling or utility assistance.
- USDA Commodity Program - Free food and commodities are offered to help people meet their nutritional needs.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program - The low income and elderly can apply for utility bill help. Applications are usually accepted during August and September of each year.
- Housing Preservation Grant - This offer qualified homeowners with repairs and housing counseling.
- Funding from FEMA - This can be used to rehouse families, and there may be loans from HREC provided for paying everything from rental deposits to eviction prevention.
Community clinic for reduced cost or free medical care
One local clinic is referenced below. However a large number of other dental and community clinics are located across Tennessee. Click here for information on how these facilities work and the programs that they can offer.
All residents in the surrounding counties may be able to apply for and receive either free or reduced cost health care from Dickson Community Clinic. The center offers primary diagnosis, healthcare, medical and health care treatment, special referral and diagnostic testing and therapies. The community clinic is a faith-based primary care health center which treats uninsured individuals and families as well as the low income from Dickson and surrounding counties, including Stewart, Houston and Humphreys. Erin TN. Dial (931) 289-4101