Denver area programs that offer help with paying heating bills.

Lower income customers in the Denver Colorado region who need assistance for their heating bills can look into several local, state, and federal government resources. If you are struggling, a number of groups are focused on helping the less fortunate pay their bills and to avoid a disconnection. Some of the main programs are below.

One of the leading non-profits in the Denver metro region is the Mile High United Way. They have information on many non-profit organizations and their programs. One of the primary options is the Energy Outreach Colorado. This is a non-profit that will do their best to help people who are facing a crisis. They offer a number of services, including LEAP.

To find an application site in Denver or Adams County (or nearby towns) call 1-866-432-8435. Qualified low income and working poor clients can get help with paying their energy, natural gas and utility bills. Callers will get information on the local LEAP intake office in their county. You can be sent an application, get help in completing it, and additional support. Or callers may learn about other local financial assistance programs, churches, and charities in Denver. Also receive free energy efficiency tips and heating conservation programs.

While the main office is at 225 East 16th Ave, Suite 200 in Denver, you do need to make an appointment as part of the intake process for Energy Outreach and/or LEAP. Call (303) 825-8750 or -866-432-8435.

An agency that focuses on Adams County is the non-profit Almost Home, Inc. As funding allows, they offer a provision of utility and heating bill assistance. It can pay for various fuel sources, including natural gas and electricity. All funds are offered to low-income families and seniors within Ft. Lupton and Adams county. The aid is for an emergency only, and is only offered if someone is facing the loss of utility service. Address is 231 N Main St, Brighton, CO 80601. Call (303) 659-6199





Denver families can also look into statewide resources that are offered as part of the Colorado Department of Revenue. The state can offer a partial or full refund for a portion of heat and fuel expenses that qualified applicants pay. This can help families in the metropolitan area offset their winter heating bill expenses. To learn more on the rebate for heating costs, dial (303) 238-7378.

Each county in the Denver metro area, including Jefferson and Arapahoe, also operates a Department of Human Services. The location will process applications for weatherization, LEAP (low income energy assistance) and more. Qualified families can get financial help and government grants for paying their heating bills and also for making energy efficiency improvements to their homes. A one time cash grant would be paid out. Call for information or to make an appointment. The Human Service offices are as follows.

1200 Federal Blvd (Richard Castro Center), 4685 Peoria St. or 815 Steele St.. For any of these offices please call (720) 944-(5327).

Other locations include the Douglas County Department of Human Services. Address is 4400 Castleton Ct, Castle Rock, CO, 80109, (303) 688-4825. Arapahoe County Department of Human Services is at 14980 E Alameda Dr, Aurora, CO, 80012. (866) 432-8435. Find other public assistance programs in Denver.

Senior citizens and the elderly can get assistance from Centura Senior Life Center. The non-profit and its staff will assist seniors in gaining access to the financial assistance programs and government resources that best fit their needs. Access databases and other tools to locate private and public government funded programs, including those that can help with heating bills, rent, and other costs like free legal advice to contest a disconnection.

The Denver based Centura Senior Life Center also can help the elderly get answers to Social Security questions, programs for the deaf and hard of hearing, job opportunities, military benefits, and even help in finding senior housing. Location is 4200 W Conejos Pl. Phone (303) 629-4996.

Another resource is the Senior Assistance Center. This is a location that can help people over the age of 55. Apply for partial payment of utility bills for seniors. Aid is only offered for individuals who meet low income poverty guidelines. You will need to be a Denver resident, have an overdue bill, and of course have adequate proof of your hardship.




First Mennonite Church has two main locations in Denver. The churches are at 430 W 9th Ave. as well as 2839 W 44th Ave. It will only assist people in the immediate parish area, and the church may have emergency funds for paying utility and heating costs. A focus is on the recently unemployed, families with young children, and at risk seniors. Call (303) 892-1039 or (303) 455-9642.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy