latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Delta County assistance programs.

Find how to get help with bills and locate other aid

With the current economic environment, many local charities and organizations have prepared themselves for an increase in requests for rent help, heating and utility bill assistance, and other requests. People have places that they can turn to for help, including the Menominee-Delta-Schoolcraft Community Action as well as the Salvation Army.

Michigan has recently put into effect a new law that prevents some utility companies from shutting off heating and utility service during the winter, but the legislation did not apply to all utility companies.

Locate heating and utility bill assistance

The Menominee-Delta-Schoolcraft Community Action agency can provide help to Escanaba and Delta County residents who heat their homes during the winter months with wood, gas, oil, or other utility sources. It is very important for local residents who receive a shutoff notice from their utility company to take immediate action, seek assistance and not wait until the last minute.

For example, some utility companies, such as DTE give customers 10 days after the notice of intent is received to shutoff service is initiated. Also, those residents who receive a shut-off notice can apply for assistance through the Community Action Agency or the Department of Human Services, although it sometimes can take longer than 10-days for a determination to be made concerning eligibility for aid. Residents who file for assistance through DHS can receive up to $550 in assistance.

While the application is in process, sometimes the community action agency can intervene and help those residents who are applying for assistance through the THAW program. Through the THAW program, which is administered under CAA, DTE partners with the agency to provide up to $1,250 in heating bill assistance per eligible household. Also, DTE offers winter shut-off protection programs for its customers.





Emergency Client Services in Delta County Michigan

Grants and funds can be provided to people who face an unexpected emergency or crisis, such as a job loss or a medical emergency. Some of the help provided will cover the expenses below:

  • Assistance with paying for prescriptions, and possibly even access to free prescription drugs. Or click here to find other ways to get medications.
  • Government Eviction Prevention Aid Rent and Homeless Prevention funds.
  • Find assistance for paying rent or other home retention services in the case of eviction, foreclosure or burnout. Learn more about other Michigan foreclosure prevention programs. Continue.
  • Free household contents such as a stove, refrigerator, or furnace.
  • Grants for heat & some utility bill assistance when there is a shut-off notice or low fuel tank that the homeowner has.

Save on Energy Bills from Weatherization

The federal government funded Home Weatherization program is a FREE service that is funded by the Federal Department of Energy (DOE) and administered by the Michigan Department of Human Services (DHS) as well as the community action agency. The program provides free energy conservation services and home improvements (such as extra insulation) for eligible low-income households. The program has been shown to help people save up to $600 per year on their energy bills.

To learn more or apply to any of these programs, stop by the Menominee-Delta-Schoolcraft Community Action agency at 507 First Avenue North, Escanaba, Michigan. Or call them at (906) 786-7080.





Food programs in Delta County

There are two main places to go for free food, groceries, perishable items, meats and more. The Salvation Army and Saint Vincent De Paul churches/volunteer organization are the two main options. Tens of thousands of food items, canned goods, and groceries are distributed every year. Children, seniors, and low income families are the main beneficiaries. Continue food pantries in Escanaba and Delta County.

Get help with energy bills

Numerous programs exist that can provide assistance. The Michigan State Emergency Relief (SER) program provides payments for heating fuel and bills, electricity and also money for home repairs and updates. The offerings from the program are based upon emergency need, and applicants to the programs are required to demonstrate a real need for aid, and they need to have received a shut off notice or declared a need for deliverable fuel. Or they need to have had a verified need for energy-related home repair.

Another organization that can help is the The Menominee-Delta-Schoolcraft Community Action Agency (MDSCAA), which is located in Escanaba. It offers various heating bill assistance programs. As some examples, they provide information on programs like the Heat and Warmth Fund, also known as THAW, which assists customers who are trying to catch up on unpaid bills, and who may be having trouble making their arrearage payments. on older bills. In addition, the MDSCAA will offer local residents programs for deliverable fuel and heating oil.

This Community Action Agency also offers the weatherization assistance program. Those who are qualified for the weatherization process and program, which is based on total household income levels as well as family size, will be offered free home energy conservation services such as foundation insulation, wall insulation, caulking, and air leakage reduction. These energy saving services and improvements to a home can contribute to lowered energy costs, reduced bills, and generally more efficient homes for those who might not have the resources to update on their own or keep up with their energy bills.

Other organizations to turn to for assistance include the The Salvation Army and the St. Vincent De Paul store in Escanaba. The Salvation Army handles shutoff notices for both heat and electricity services and serves both Delta and Schoolcraft counties. St. Vincent De Paul also can distribute various grants and funds for assistance, include funds for heating bills.

If you or someone you know would like to apply for these programs, or would like more information on the heating assistance programs that available in Delta County Michigan, contact an organization below. Or learn more on the Michigan Home Heating Credit.

  • The Salvation Army, (906) 786-0590
  • The Menominee-Delta-Schoolcraft Community Action Agency, (906) 786-7080
  • St. Vincent De Paul Store, (906) 789-1434




By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site