latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rent assistance in Contra Costa County.

The Contra Costa County California region has a few organizations that are committed to helping the low income and working poor pay their rent. Charities, churches and government assistance programs offer eviction prevention, direct financial assistance for paying past due rental expenses, grants for security deposits, and low income housing.

Thousands of local Contra Costa families and individuals need eviction prevention help or emergency rental assistance every year. The non-profits, government agencies, and charities below are focused on helping people stay in their homes, apartments, or find a place to live. They are focused on preventing evictions and reduce homelessness.

In addition to direct cash assistance or loans to help pay back rent (which can unfortunately be limited), housing counselors and/or lawyers can offer free legal advice as well as referrals. A non-profit can often be a source of information on a large number of government or private rental as well as deposit assistance programs in Contra Costa County or across northern California.

Eviction Court Summons Assistance

Bay Area Legal Aid (phone 1-800-551-5554) can provide pro-bono legal assistance to help families deal with an eviction, landlord-tenant issue, or a housing court date. Lawyers can work for free.

Eviction Defense Center. This is another firm with offices in Contra Costa County that may have free legal advice for income qualified individuals and families. They also help by dealing with utility disconnections, refer tenants to rent assistance programs, help immigrants, and others. Dial 510-452-4541

Pacific Community Services. If you have received an eviction notice to leave an apartment or home, this non-profit can provide guidance and advice. They may also have options on rent and/or government assistance, including ESG grants. Dial 925-439-1056, or the mailing address is 329 Railroad Ave, Pittsburg, California 94565.




ECHO Fair Housing only helps residents of Walnut Creek area. Free legal aid can help with eviction noticies, unsafe housing, repairs, landlord disputes, and more. Dial 1-855-275-3246.

Contra Costa County non-profit rent help

Concord Family Service Center / Catholic Charities of East Bay region. The non-profit provides low income and others who need help with access to a wide range of services as well as financial assistance. The resources include, but are not limited to, housing counseling, immigration assistance, counseling for homeowners facing foreclosure, emergency rental assistance, and much more.

They help single parents, the elderly, service economy workers and others with rent as well as housing costs. There is also free or low cost furniture for apartments, homeless shelters, and other short term accommodations.

Many programs from the church revolve around providing support for housing issues in order top prevent homelessness. Several local charities are part of the organization. The main address is 3540 Chestnut Avenue, Concord, CA 94519, phone (925) 825-3099.

Homeless hotline can be reached at 800-808-6444. This non-profit focuses on helping the currently homeless, as well as those who are on the verge of being evicted and becoming homeless whether from foreclosure or an eviction. It can help them find housing, pay rental deposits, and move into transitional housing.





Assistance for the currently homeless includes free motel vouchers or placement into shelters. The prevention aspect of the non-profit includes referrals to sources of funds for back rent to counseling and landlord/tenant mediation. The client needs a plan to get on track and pay future rental and utility costs on their own.

Contra Costa County Employment and Human Services
Call your local government office for general assistance. The funds can help with housing and rent expenses as well. There may be one time assistance for a portion of a security deposit to rehouse a family, or grants for back rent. Other case management is provided too.

  • Address is 4545 Delta Fair Boulevard
    Antioch, California 94509
    (877) 505-4630
  • 400 Ellinwood Way
    Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
    Phone number - (877) 505-4630
  • 1305 MacDonald Avenue
    Richmond, CA 94801
    (877) 505-4630
  • Another office is at 151 Linus Pauling Drive
    Hercules, California 94547
    (877) 505-4630
  • 151 Sand Creek Road, Suite A
    Brentwood, CA 94513
    Dial (877) 505-4630 for information on housing programs.

Referrals may be provided by any of these charities and non-profits in the Contra Costa County region. There may be either direct cash assistance or advice and referrals.

  • Catholic Charities of East Bay - Critical Family Needs  - 925-825-3099
  • General Assistance (Individuals) - 925-602-9379
  • CalWORKs - 1-877-505-4630
  • Consumer Credit Counseling - 1-866-889-9347 - Get advice and referrals from this non-profit.
  • Season of Sharing - 925-521-5065

Community Action Agency Agency (Community Services) is a leading anti poverty fighting organization. Services range from energy bill help (LIHEAP) to advice on fighting evictions in housing court or energy conservation. Some information on emergency grants (for rent, mortgages, moving, etc.) may be offered. Continue with Contra Costa County Community Action.





Season of Sharing Contra Costa County – Families with dependent children (including single mothers or fathers) may be able to get assistance from this organization. There are conditions, including the family needs to be defined by welfare regulations as an unborn child and is a dependent when its mother is in her 6th month of pregnancy. They may even offer emergency rent help to single parents/pregnant mothers.

Children who are 18 but still in their last year of high school are also considered dependents and can qualify for financial aid for rental expenses. Dependents of the court including emancipating 18 year olds, seniors 60+, single battered women and the disabled can also apply for help, including with rent and housing. Address is 400 Ellinwood Way, Pleasant Hill, California 94523, (925) 521-5065

Two government affiliated organizations are the Housing Authority of Contra Costa County (call 925-957-8000) as well as Housing Authority of Pittsburg California, dial 925-252-4830. Both of these locations can help people apply for government assistance such as cash grants, low income public housing, senior assistance, or HUD section 8 vouchers. They also have information on rent subsidized housing as well as home buying services. Or learn more on Section 8 in California.

Contra Costa County Veterans can get housing assistance from SSVF - Supportive Services for Veteran Families. Services range from help with moving costs to first months rent or application fees. There is also job placement, credit counseling, short term storage for poessions, and other housing support. Dial (510) 891-8773.

Contra County Society of Saint Vincent de Paul is a faith based church. Programs are for the poor, elderly, and vulnerable. One time rent help, funds for electric or water bills, food, clothes, and job programs are available. Any funds for housing, such as rent, or limited. More on rent help from St. Vincent in Contra Costa County.

Salvation Army of Concord provides help for utility bills from REACH. This may be an option for Contra Costa County facing an eviction from their home due to unpaid energy costs. Referrals may also be available to other resources, such as shelter or ESG grants for rental payments. The address is 3950 Clayton Rd, Concord, CA 94521, or dial (925) 676-6180.

Rapid Rehousing, eviction help, and rent assistance is available from agencies that are in the Crisis Center network. The goal is to stop homelessness. Support ranges from motel or hotel vouchers in Contra Costa County to grants for security deposit or rental help for single moms, the disabled, and families looking for an affordable apartment. More on Contra Costa County eviction and rehousing assistance.

Shelter offers homeless prevention programs. The case managers can refer clients, ranging from the working poor to disabled or veterans, to emergency rental assistance. They also provide guidance on relocating, case management and more. Some Conta Costa families are provided a no-interest loans for their rent arrears. The center is at 333 Willow Pass Rd., Concord California. Call 925-335-0698, or learn more on SHELTER in Contra Costa County.





Transitional and temporary housing services are available. This will require the client to pay some of their income for their rent and energy costs, but it provides the tenant time to gain stability. One non-profit is at 925-338-1038.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site