Financial assistance programs from Central Maine Power.

A number of resources and services are offered by Central Maine Power in order to help people pay their bills, save money, and hopefully prevent disconnections. A wide variety of financial assistance programs are offered, or customers can be referred to, in order to help qualified lower income or senior customers pay their bills.

One of the primary programs offered is the Electricity Lifeline Program. Low-income customers may be able to receive a credit on their monthly electric bill. The total amount of the monthly credit, or reduction on your bill, will be based on your total household income as well as your estimated electricity usage.

There is a scale in place too. Therefore applicants with a lower income and who pay a high percentage of their income towards their bills may qualify for additional credits. This credit is applied to your bill in one lump sum, and is also applied to your ongoing recurring bill for the same amount each month, for a total of up to 12 months. Phone number is 1-800-750-4000.

Low-Income Assistance Program (LIAP) is the states version or supplement to the federal government LIHEAP program. State law requires that Maine’s transmission and distribution utilities create or maintain a program known as LIAP. The resource will in effect make electric bills more affordable for LIHEAP-eligible Central Maine Power customers by providing cash assistance, weatherization, and other financial support.

In order to apply or learn more, call your local Community Action Program Agency and/or the Maine State Housing Authority. These non-profit or government agencies will administer, implement and coordinates the statewide plan as well as the individual LIAPs in conjunction with its delivery of LIHEAP. In total, on average, about 5 to 6 million dollars in assistance is provided per year to income qualified customers.

Friend Alerts can be set up as well. While this service won’t help you pay your bill, and your friend is not obligated or committed to any financial exposure, what this alert will do is it provides individuals with a Third Party Notification service. This offers people an extra peace of mind. Anyone you designate, whether a family member, friend, agency or charity organization, will receive a copy of any important notices the CMP may send to you. This includes a disconnection notice. So since your friend is also notified, this can help people ensure they receive and respond to all important communication from Central Maine Power. Call 1-800-750-4000 to learn more.





The Central Maine Power Low-Income Energy Management Program is a saving/energy conservation program. Various conservation measures can be taken, including insulation of your water heater or hot water tank. If someone is found to be qualified, then insulation, caulking, and other enhancements are also provided. Other water conservation measures may be taken on your home or residence. Phone number is 1-800-750-4000.

Lifelight Service is for customers with special health care needs, or those families with an individual who is on a life support system. The medical condition needs to be serious enough in that you depend and reply on uninterrupted electricity service from Central Maine Power. In these cases the company will notify you of planned service interruptions, including outages or repairs. The advance notice will help ensure that these customers continue to have access to some form of power for their medical conditions. The utility company will also contact you during unplanned outages with information to help you plan for your needs and find some sort of alternate power source. Please dial the Customer Relations Center if you believe you qualify for this service from CMP.

Payment arrangements or plans may be considered or offered as well on a case by case basis. If you are having trouble paying your electric or utility bill, then dial Central Maine Power. Call the company right away at 1-800-686-4044 to explore any options available. You can be provided with information on government resources such as LIHEAP, local non-profit programs, and other financial aid.





By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy