Cass County assistance programs.
A couple non-profit agencies to contact for help include West Central Missouri Community Action Agency as well as the Salvation Army of Harrisonville. Find information on these agencies and the programs they offer below, as well as some other options.
West Central Missouri Community Action Agency
This is the local Cass County and Harrisonville community action agency. They offer both short term assistance, and programs to help people become self-sufficient over the long term.
- Foreclosure prevention and housing counseling - The agency is a HUD (Housing and Urban Development) approved Housing Counseling Agency, and they offer numerous foreclosure prevention programs. Through this housing assistance program counseling services are provided in the following areas, include debt and credit reduction, mortgage assistance, and foreclosure mediation. Learn more about government foreclosure programs.
- Emergency Grants and Funds: Qualified Cass county residents have available to them emergency financial assistance and funds from WCMCAA. In addition, private donations and other outside agencies may also provide funding to help families and individuals with emergencies that are not available through any other assistance program or agency, such as: medical costs and bills, transportation expenses, clothing, shoes, glasses repairs, prescriptions, rent, and more.
- In-Home Health Services - Offered for elderly and disabled individuals. Qualified patients can receive access to a variety of health care programs.
- Rent and eviction prevention programs: Households and individuals that meet the federal definition of homelessness are able to apply for assistance to pay for first months rent, utility deposits, rent deposits, and other expenses related to establishing a home for a family.
- Weatherization program - This is a federal government funded program and it was created to help reduce energy bills in the winter and summer for low to moderate income families through increased home energy efficiency and free conservation improvements.
- Appliance repair and replacement - Programs offered by the community action agency can provide for the repair or replacement of heating systems, plumbing, wiring, and other home updates.
- Energy Bill Assistance: Assistance programs such as the Missouri and federal government funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, Dollar More, Energy Aid, Emergency Shelter Grant Program, Emergency Food and Shelter Program all contribute to assisting individuals and families in paying for utility costs such as heating bills, electricity, propane, natural gas, kerosene, wood and heating fuel oil.
Call the West Central Missouri Community Action Agency at (660) 476-2185 .Case managers will offer referrals, applications to programs, and more. Read programs from West Central Missouri Community Action Agency.
Help for food, bills, and housing
Low income families can apply for holiday assistance. The goal of many churches and charities is to offer a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal to everyone from the Cass County community. There may also be gifts, food baskets, and other items passed out. Click more information Cass holiday programs.
Food, meals, and hunger prevention services in Cass County are always an option. Several non-profit organizations or charities, such as Lord Of Love Lutheran Church, offer emergency boxes of food or serve a hot meal.
Other charities assist at the holidays or offer information on government aid such as SNAP food stamps. There are various resources available, and learn more on Cass County food pantries.
Salvation Army of Harrisonville
The agency provides emergency assistance, including help for rent, heating and utility bills, prescription vouchers, and more. In some cases a grant is issued by the Salvation Army, or they offer referrals. Other support can include shelter or information on security deposit assistance from government sources. Call them at (816) 380-3505, or more on Cass County Salvation Army services.