Cache County assistance programs.
There are a few different agencies and non-profits in Cache County to turn to for assistance and help. They include the agencies listed below.
Logan and Cache County Community Action Agency
The local community action agency is determined to help the working poor in the community. They coordinate and administer various federal, state, and local government assistance programs. Bear River Association of Governments is a great place to start in your search for aid, and the resources they offer qualified individuals include those listed below.
- Rental assistance program - BRAG has been administering the HUD Section 8 Rental Assistance Program in Cache County. The Rental Assistance Program will provide individuals or families who are disabled, elderly, working poor, or who may be working toward self sufficiency either through employment or education a higher priority rating for selection from the federal government program's waiting list.
- Low income energy bill assistance program - The community action agency administers the federal government LIHEAP program. This can provide grants to pay heating and utility bills. The program also has a crisis component which can help people avoid a disconnection of their utility service.
- Furnace replacement and repair programs - Assistance is made available through the BRAG community action agency to help people repair or replace, when necessary, furnaces or heating units in low-income households.
- Federal government weatherization program - The number one, primary goal of the federal government funded Weatherization Assistance Program is to enable low-income families and individuals, particularly the handicapped, elderly, and senior citizens participate in energy conservation programs. These programs will help them save on energy and heating bills. The weatherization program will lessen the impact of utility expenses on applicants household budgets. For example, participating households are averaging nearly 25 percent in savings, or approximately $400 per year in savings, on their energy bills.
- Housing - In addition to the rent assistance referenced above, BRAG offers other support in Cache County. It ranges from home repairs to funds to pay security deposits. The disabled and families with young children also take priority. Or look into shelters and loans for paying rent and other housing expenses as part of the federal government funded Continuum of Care program.
- Cache HEAT Program from the community action agency (435-752-7242) offers utility and electric bill programs. The services they offer will help low to moderate income households in the community pay a portion of their winter utility and heating bills, and/or provide grants for emergency utility assistance to prevent shut-off of a service. In addition, they also administers the Utility Moratorium Program which will prevent winter utility shut-off between November 15 and March 15 of each and every winter.
Call the Bear River Association of Governments Community Action Agency at (435) 752-7242 to learn more or to apply for help. It is located in Logan Utah. Or learn more on Bear River community action assistance programs.
Housing, foreclosure, and mortgage delinquency counseling as well as debt help
USU Family Life Center is a Logan Utah based non profit that provides several housing assistance programs. The services they provide include Mortgage Default Counseling and advice on Rental issues. Dial 435-797-7224, or click here for additional government mortgage programs.
In addition to the housing programs indicated above, USU Family Life Center also provides access to programs to help consumers get out of or reduce their debts. They offer Debt Reduction Counseling, Credit Repair, Budgeting Assistance, as well as free financial literary. Get help with such debts as medical and credit card..
Utility and heating bill assistance programs
American Red Cross Of Northern Utah – Utility, heating and disaster assistance are the primary resources. Help for your utilities is only offered to people who are 60 years of age or older, disabled, and who are low-income. Individuals need to have already applied for HEAT assistance. Disaster services available to disaster victims, such as a fire or flood. Some other counseling and financial aid may be offered for military families and veterans. Call 801-627-0000
Cache County food assistance
Cache Community Food Pantry is located at 359 South Main Street, Logan, Utah 84321. Call 435-753-7140
LDS Bishop's Storehouse – Clothing, free or low cost food, and bedding is offered for LDS and non-LDS individuals seeking assistance. You must also have been referred by a bishop. 435-752-6425
Bear River Health Department and Logan Clinic provides Immunizations, CHIP, Medicaid, PCN, Baby Your Baby eligibility, Physical Examination, and WIC. 655 East 1300 North, Logan, Utah 84341, telephone 435-792-6500
Find information and addresses on additional food banks in Utah.