Boulder County public assistance.

There are two main places to go to for information on public assistance programs in Boulder County. One of them is the benefits department and they administer more local programs, such as SNAP food assistance or medical care. Another option is Colorado PEAK, which covers both Boulder and the county.

The Boulder County Human Services office provides short-term services to needy men, women and their children in times of unemployment due to an inability to work. This cash based aid is available as part of TANF/Colorado Works. Residents that can't make it to the application site can dial 303.441.1000. There is also the possibility of grants from the county due to earning a wage lower than the poverty level.

Depending on individual case circumstances, such as total household income, cash benefits can be issued under the guidelines of the Federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or the Colorado State Safety Net Assistance guidelines. The funds can help with any number of bills and household living expenses. The Temporary Assistance Unit also determines whether applicants are eligible for Medicaid and Food Stamps or other public aid.

Find help for paying for day care, and the government will pay a portion of the bill due. The objectives of the Boulder County Department of Social Services Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) include the following. If this is not an option, then find other ideas to help pay for daycare.

  • -The county will assist parents in securing and maintaining employment, while also meeting the basic needs of their children.
  • -The County will ensure that families are provided with high quality, safe, accessible, and affordable child care.
  • -Help with child care will allow the family economic independence by making it possible for responsible adults to attend job training.
  • -Government money will provide day care for children receiving protective services, including those from Boulder County who are at risk of neglect or abuse.
  • -The public aid from CCAP will assist children in need of early intervention to enhance their development.





Boulder County Old Age Pension (OAP) provides public assistance to people over the age of 60 that have very little income. All sources of earnings are reviewed, ranging from a pension to social security, disability, or veterans benefits. Seniors that are qualified can often get several hundred dollars per month for their bills or housing costs.

The U.S. Government Department of Agriculture funded SNAP food stamps program can provide cash aid using an EBT card. The state has renamed this service as food assistance, but it still works the same way. The money available for buying groceries, fruits, or vegetables will vary from one Boulder County family to another and is based on factors such as family size, total income, age and expenses.

The public aid program, now called Food Assistance, allows individuals, lower income senior citizens, those in poverty, children and entire families to use a debit card to buy their groceries at a local Boulder Colorado store. There may be help in acquiring fruit, vegetables, baby formula, whole grains, lean protein and other healthy foods. The team at the benefit department can also help with the application process for SNAP food stamps without the person having to visit the office.

The Healthy Families and Family Medicaid Program in Boulder County helps very low income families access local health-care services, including those available at community clinics. Family Medicaid is a form of affordable health insurance that also covers prescription drugs, and it supports many pregnant women and the working poor. The Housing and Human Services department works to assist eligible families in enrolling in the program.

The agency also provides referrals to other health-care related public assistance programs, including CHIP, patient assistance programs (PAP) and the Child Health and Disability Prevention service. Boulder County social workers also makes referrals to public health and community clinics as well, with information also given on how to find free prescription medications, which are always in high demand.




Some Boulder County hospitals also take part in the Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP). They provide more affordable medical care to families living in poverty or that lack insurance. Providers of this service include Clinica People's Clinic, Boulder Community Hospital, Longmont United Hospital, but there are several others.

LIHEAP Crisis Program provides one time cash payments for a utility emergency. During the winter months, there may be public assistance for bulk fuel, propane, natural gas bills, or solid fuels as well. The service generally starts in November or so and runs until April (or sooner if the money runs out).

It only pays for an existing account. There will not be a grant to help with a reconnection fee or a deposit. Very low income families may be eligible for assistance. There is also help for seniors or the disabled too, as they often get priority.

The main phone number for the Boulder County Housing and Human Services department is 303-441-1000. The staff can go over these public assistance programs as well as several others.




By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy