Assistance programs in Baldwin County Georgia.
Each year hundreds of people from Milledgeville and Baldwin County turn to agencies and programs for help paying bills, rent, access to free food and counseling, and much more. Get details on services and resources that are available to you below.
Help for rent and utilities
If you are qualified, Flagg Chapel Baptist Church may be able to offer one-time financial assistance and cash grants for people and families who need help paying their monthly rent or utility bills. Some emergency food and groceries may also be available that can offer assistance. Call the church at (478) 452-7287.
Salvation Army - Milledgeville - Some of the programs and resources offered include free food, gently used or new clothing, cash grants and financial assistance. The Baldwin County agency also has free back tu school supply programs, case management, individual counseling, utility bill assistance as well as help for electric bills. Or use the thrift store or apply for free Christmas toys or meal services. Call (478) 452-6940, or find more details on Salvation Army Baldwin County assistance programs.
DFACS of Baldwin County (phone (478) 445-5092) is a government run agency/program. Contact them for food assistance, TANF, and information on the low income energy assistance program.
Another church that may be able to assist the needy is Sacred Heart Catholic Church. They offer emergency financial assistance for paying utilities as well as some rental assistance by appointment only to the low income. Milledgeville Georgia (478) 454-8634.
Baldwin County Georgia Community Action Agency
Contact Overview, Inc. for information. The non-profit offers qualified low to moderate individuals the following programs.
- Heating and cooling bill assistance to low-income families - The Baldwin County community action agency provides winter heating and summer cooling assistance to low-income families in the region. Qualified individuals can get financial assistance with paying for their propane, natural gas, electricity, air conditioning and wood. The amount of cash provided is based on the households income and number of people in the household.
- Food Pantry, commodities - U.S.D.A. commodities and food stuff is distributed to eligible low income households in the Oconee Area twice each program year. Distribution of the food will be based on the amount of surplus food received. Clients are selected on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Assistance with prescription medication - Access free or low cost medication, and learn about programs offered by pharmaceutical companies.
- Housing solutions in Baldwin County - There may be funds to pay a security deposit, counseling on landlord and tenants rights, and eviction prevention services from Overview.
- Transportation - This is a service that is provided to low-income disadvantaged clients going to and from Job Readiness programs, work, and/or GED classes.
- Community action agencies are a great place to learn about various local and government assistance programs as well.
Call Overview, Inc. at (478) 453-4111. Many other services are available from the community action agency, including referrals if they can’t help. Read more Overview community action financial assistance.
Help from free clothing closets - Children from low income families, individuals seeking jobs, and others that are considered to be working poor can get assistance from local clothing centers. Coats, shoes, holiday items, school supplies, blankets and more may be offered, along with vouchers. Click here.
Counseling and non-financial aid
Take Charge - Job Connection was created to ensure people are empowered and get back on their feet. The agency can, among other things, provide employment opportunity identification, job placement services, clothing vouchers, and supportive activities such as child care, transportation. Counselors are on staff to help people finish school, go to work, get GED's, enter tech school and college and with parenting and taking care of their children. Call (478) 452-3515
Maranatha Mission, Inc. is another non-profit that provides free food, shelter, gently used clothing, limited job search and placement, and counseling and advice for the homeless and people facing an imminent eviction. Call (478) 452-9455