latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Disability benefit programs in Arkansas.

Find government organizations and non-profits in Arkansas that individuals with a disability can contact for assistance. Case managers will work with disabled people to help them apply for social security and make it through a financial hardship. Get free grant money from government or private agencies, SSI or social security applications, subsidized housing and other programs. Learn more on disability benefits in AR.

There is financial help for bills, free government grant money, and emergency aid for disabled adults or kids. Long term services are also available. The disabled can also receive limited amounts of financial and/or medical assistance, including from Medicaid or Medicare benefits.

The number and types of programs available are extensive. The state of Arkansas will work with the disabled (adults or children) as well as their immediate family members and care givers. In some cases, direct assistance is available or in other cases residents may be referred to federal government programs and benefits. While most of the resources are provided by the Division of Developmental Disabilities Services, there are other organizations and departments for individuals to contact as well.

Financial help and free grants for the disabled in Arkansas

The Department of Human Services and the Division of Developmental Disabilities Services partner together to help disabled people get government hardship grants or social security. Both are the place to contact for information on federal government and state financial aid or benefits. Most of the assistance is for low income disabled residents. Both short term needs can be met and clients can also get started on the path to self-sufficiency.

The LIHEAP Home Energy Assistance Program is for paying utility bills, and a crisis program is offered when faced with a disconnection. Food assistance is available to the disabled from SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) food stamps. Other benefits available in Arkansas include health care and medications from Medicaid, low income housing, and job training. There are also many utility bill assistance programs in Arkansas for the low income.

The Division of Adult Services will offer the disabled with Counseling Support and Case Management Services. Clients will receive orientation to the concept of how to manage, recruit, interview, hire, evaluate, supervise, or even fire attendants. Counseling Support Managers can direct clients to other benefits as well,  such as SNAP food stamps, cash aid, grants from non-profits and medical care. Learn more on grants for disabled adults from private agencies.




In general, people on disability in Arkansas have a low-income as SSI or SSDI does not pay much. This means public assistance programs, including SNAP food stamps, can help ill the gap of basic needs. There are other both private and non-profit resources. For example, learn about free meals, home delivered food, affordable medical care, free groceries and more. Continue with food stamps applications near you.

Social services for people with a disability in AR

The Arkansas’ Department of Human Services Division of Aging and Adult Services also administers programs for the disabled. The resources tend to be focused on adults and not children or youth. Examples of what is available for people with a handicap is noted below.

Adult Protective Services will ensure that elders and the disabled are treated properly. While sometimes lack of proper treatment or even abuse can occur intentionally, there are other examples of which it accidentally occurs. Regardless of the cause or intent, staff from this government agency can provide protection and advise residents on their rights.

Alternatives for Adults with Physical Disabilities, or the Arkansas AAPD program, is a Medicaid Waiver run by the division. It provides community-based and home services to adults with physical disabilities. The goal is to help the person reside in their current environment rather that a nursing home or institution.

The Human Services Division will also coordinate employment opportunities for Arkansans with Disabilities. Specialists can provide clients information on job training, programs and services to help you work, and provide insight into how working affects your disability benefits.

The state of Arkansas Money Follows the Person works to help transition individuals who have resided in institutions into state approved and qualified home and/or community-based programs. Some of the main beneficiaries are individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental retardation. The benefits are also for residents with mental illness and individuals that range in age from 19 to 64 with physical disabilities.

A program known as Adaptive Equipment can be provided for both daily living and employment reasons. The state of AR can provide for equipment and modifications to the living environment that increase accessibility and the independence of the resident. There are also free telephones for disabled adults in AR for communication, and that includes a Samsung or iPhone as well. Learn more on and apply for a free government cell phone for the disabled.





Assistance in satisfying the tasks of daily living is arranged by the Department of Human Services Division of Aging and Adult Services Attendant Care program. This will be based on need and a doctor also needs to approve this. If found to be qualified, a client may receive up to 8 hours a day, 7 days a week of attendant care services. This is a caregiver type program, and learn more on federal assistance for caregivers.

When the program has funding available, there are two main types of attendant care that can be arranged. The first is an agency attendant care and this is when clients choose an agency to provide care for them. The second choice is consumer-directed attendant care. The disabled client or their caregiver will recruit, hire, supervise and approve payment of attendants. Although in some cases the individual selected may be a family member, it can’t be their spouse.

Similar to above, the Independent Choices is a project unique to Arkansas. It will give individuals the opportunity to direct care at home, by providing them with a monthly allowance in place of Personal Care Services.

  • For more information or to apply to any of these programs, call the Department of Human Services Division of Aging and Adult Services at (800) 478-9996.

Arkansas benefits, equipment, medial care and other disability services

The Division of Developmental Disabilities Services administers resources as well, both for adults and children. The Adaptive Equipment service will help people purchase, lease or repair therapeutic and augmentative equipment. This equipment must be required for the disabled person to maintain, increase or improve their ability to work or perform daily life tasks.

Another key resource is the Developmental Day Treatment Clinic Services, or DDTCS. This coordinates a wide array of comprehensive day treatment and social services to qualified individuals with either developmental or intellectual disabilities. The benefits are arranged in a clinic setting. There are a few different levels of care, and even some health services, arranged for.

The organization also oversees the Title V Children with Special Health Care Needs program. This is a federal government benefit available in Arkansas that helps children with chronic medical conditions. The applying child must be determined medically eligible and the family must also meet low income levels and be determined financially eligible.

If the family is not eligible for Medicaid coverage, the Title V program can assist with payment for medical bills as funding is available. Private insurance (when covering the child) must be billed for the health care treatment before payment is made by Title V. Providers and doctors in Arkansas must be willing to accept the state’s Title V payment.







Other programs and agencies for the disabled in Arkansas

Call the Arkansas’ Department of Human Services Division of Developmental Disabilities Services at (501) 683-0870. There is also a general customer service number for more information on disability grants, social security and other benefits, and call 1-800-482-8988.

Arkansas’ Association for the Deaf
P.O. Box 55063
Little Rock, AR 72215

Arkansas Autism Resource and Outreach Center
Address is 2001 Pershing Circle, Suite 300
North Little Rock, AR 72114
Call (800) 342-2923 for intake.

Arkansas’ Department of Education
Four Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
Main phone - (501) 682-4475

Arkansas Disability & Health Program
Partners for Inclusive Communities, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
2001 Pershing Circle, Suite 300
North Little Rock, AR 72114
Dial (800) 342-2923

Arkansas’ Division of Behavioral Health Services
305 South Palm Street
Little Rock, AR 72205
(501) 686-9164

Medicaid Program
P.O. Box 1437
Little Rock, AR 72203
(501) 682-8375

Arkansas’ Division of Services for the Blind
700 Main Street, P.O. Box 3237
Little Rock, AR 72203
(800) 960-9270

Arkansas Governor’s Developmental Disabilities Council
Location is 5800 West 10th Street, Suite 805
Little Rock, AR  72204
Toll-free: 1-800-462-0599

Arkansas Office of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Main address is 1100 North University, Suite 255
Little Rock, AR 72207
Toll-free:  800-344-4867

Arkansas Paralyzed Veterans of America
Mid-America Chapter
6108 NW 63
Toll-free 800-321-5041

PVA National Service Office
Little Rock VARO
200 Fort Roots Boulevard, 65 Room 116
North Little Rock, AR 72114
Main phone - (501) 370-3757

Brain Injury Association of Arkansas
Mailing address is P.O. Box 26236
Little Rock, AR 72221
Toll-free:  (800) 444-6443

Learning Disabilities Association of Arkansas
P.O. Box 23514
Little Rock, AR 72221
(501) 666-8777





The Arc for the River Valley
2301 South 56th Street, Suite 107
Fort Smith, AR 72903
Dial (479) 783-5529

Sevier County Arc
715 West Stilwell Avenue
De Queen, AR 71832
For information, dial (870) 642-6077

The Arkansas Disability Coalition
1123 South University Avenue, Suite 225
Little Rock, AR 72204
Toll-free 800-223-1330

United Cerebral Palsy of Arkansas
Main address is 9720 North Rodney Parham Road
Little Rock, AR 72227
Toll-free (800) 228-6174


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site