latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Adams, Dawson, Keith, Red Willow County Nebraska assistance programs.

Find details below on the leading non-profit agencies to call for help in the Mid-Nebraska region. Some agencies may be able to provide direct cash and financial assistance for bills and basic needs, while others will specialize in offering referrals and case management.

Community Action Partnership of Mid-Nebraska is the leading non-profit to call. They support the counties of Red Willow, Adams, Dawson, and Keith as well as many other surrounding areas. The programs listed below are offered by this organization.

Early Head Start – This is an education and social service program for pregnant women, infants and toddlers under the age of 3. It can help them prepare for school, and provide support to meet nutritional and their social needs too. The age of birth to age three is critical to a child's healthy growth and development.

Housing Repair and Rehabilitation Services will ensure the low income have access to a supply of quality, affordable, appropriate housing. The program can repair and enhance their homes, from one or more of the following. Mechanical upgrades including modernization of furnace, heating systems, plumbing, and electrical. Improve health and safety measures, such as replace unsafe heating systems or electric wiring. Structural measures of the home can be addressed, such as stairs, roof repairs, or foundations. Free energy saving measures such as extra insulation, replacement of doors or primary & storm windows.

Head Start – This federal government sponsored program is for children five years of age and younger. It can help lower income families break the cycle of poverty by ensuring children are prepared for school, including receiving the health and dental care they need. The children of low-income and working poor families can get help from a comprehensive program to meet their nutritional, emotional, social, and health care needs. The program can offer free food, health care, and job training programs to parents.

Nebraska Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) – Low-income families, particularly the disabled and elderly, can receive savings on their energy bills from the community action agency. Both renters and homeowners can qualify for free energy conservation measures. Read more Nebraska energy bill assistance.




Housing and rent assistance, as well as case management, is offered by Residential Assistance to Families in Transition, or RAFT. This is a non-profit that the Community Action Partnership of Mid-Nebraska works closely with. It will assist the currently homeless and people facing imminent eviction. The program will stabilize low income and struggling families in distress within a safe, secure, and empowering home.

RAFT will provide people with short term/transitional housing while they get back on their feet. During their stay in the housing units, individuals and families are required to develop an individualized service plan which consists of goals and appropriate steps to attain self-sufficiency, including job training, debt reduction, financial assistance, and credit repair. The program also provides Nebraska families with on-site program components to include budgeting classes, support groups, and other aid.

Food programs from Community Action Partnership of Mid-Nebraska

The non-profit works with local food pantries across Adams and Dawson County as well as neighboring locations. Various federal government programs are also offered.

Federal government Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) – Offers free meals, food, and groceries to children under the age of six years, pregnant women, as well as post-partum women. Seniors 60 years of age and older may also qualify for assistance. The government resource only provides some food and was never intended to satisfy 100% of a family’s needs. So it therefore provides supplemental food with good sources of nutrients.





The community action agency partners with the Mid-Nebraska Food Bank. There are both Emergency Food Pantries which serve meals on site, and can provide food boxes for people in a crisis. Churches, senior centers, and homeless shelters all provide emergency aid. USDA Commodities are also offered by these pantries.

Another option is the Nebraska Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program (WIC). Also paid for by the federal government, it provides free or low cost healthy food. WIC can also provide nutrition and breastfeeding information to help keep pregnant women, children, and infants under five years old healthy and strong.

Senior Services Center can help people address such life activities. This can include legal help topics, information on public assistance, seminars on health issues, financial programs, and Medicaid, among other services.

Community Action Partnership of Mid-Nebraska has multiple offices in the region. One is in Kearney, Nebraska 68848, dial (308) 865-5675. Or stop by 931 West 7th Street, Lexington, NE 68850, phone (308) 324-4219.

Adams County Only residents can try the Salvation Army. It offers numerous programs in Hastings and Adams County only. Gasoline vouchers can be offered for job interviews or medical appointments. Meet with a counselor for budget assistance, including credit repair. Financial assistance is offered as well, for basic needs including

  • Rent – If a client has an eviction notice.
  • Utility – When faced with a shut off, in particular during the winter, some funds may be provided for paying heating and electric bills.
  • Other aid provided includes school supplies, such as clothing, uniforms, pens and pencils, and similar items. Christmas items are provided too, such as toys from the Angel Tree program and free holiday meals.

For families or individuals who are residents of Adams County (or Nuckolls, Websters, Clay and Franklin) the location is 400 South Burlington, Hastings, Nebraska 68901, call (402) 463-0529.

Keith County residents can try the local Salvation Army at 118 E B St, Ogallala, NE 69153. Call (308) 284-6550.





Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services has a few locations around Adams, Webster, and Keith Counties. Locations include 300 North St Joseph Avenue, Room 204, Hastings, Nebraska 68901-7597, (402) 462-1800. Another address is 201 East 5th, Ogallala, NE 69153, call (308) 284-8080.

  • Emergency Assistance – If you have minor children, and can’t qualify for any other financial help, then this program may be able to assist. Examples of situations for which financial assistance is available are exhaustion or lack of food supplies, imminent evictions due to late rent, or loss of utility or heating service.
  • Employment First – Adults who are able to work and who are transitioning to economic self-support, through components such as job search, training, education, or job preparation activities can receive up to 60 months of help with bills and basic needs.
  • TANF - Temporary Assistance for Needy Families or Aid To Dependent Children can offer cash payments to families with children less than 18 years of age. For lower income and qualified families with individuals who are employable, the assistance is time limited and runs for a shorter period of time.
  • Payments for medical care and outstanding bills are offered by Medicaid. Types of health care services paid for are family planning, hospital, nursing home, physicians, dental costs, clinics, home health, lab and radiology, and prescription drugs. Medicaid can also pay for community based and home services for high risk individuals who are mentally disabled, aged, or disabled. Find more on medical bill assistance.
  • Child care assistance – Lower income families with children may be eligible for financial assistance with the costs of paying for and finding child care for children 12 years and younger or for children with special needs. To be eligible for help with child care costs, parents must be in training programs, employed, incapacitated, or participating in school or education.
  • LIHEAP, or Low-income Energy Assistance – Low income families can get help paying heating and cooling bills, especially when faced with a crisis. The total amount of benefits paid out is based on family size, fuel type, and geographic residency in the state, such as Adams or Keith County.
  • Food Stamps, or SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), can raise the level of health and nutrition among low-income households by offering free food and grocery vouchers. Read more on food stamps eligibility requirements.

Catholic Social Services of Hastings, Main office - 333 West 2nd Street, Hastings, Nebraska 68901, Dial (402) 463-2112. This agency offers emergency financial assistance for paying utilities and rent. Other non-monetary support includes School Supplies, Clothing vouchers, Daily Sack Lunches, School Supplies and Furniture. The charity supports all of southern Nebraska, with a focus on low income families with children and senior citizens. Click here.

Salvation Army runs the Hastings Food Pantry. From time to time they may also have funds for paying bills and expenses in a crisis, such as housing, cooling bills, fans, and more. Referrals are offered too. 400 South Burlington, Hastings, NE 68901, phone (402) 463-2911.

Webster County Food Pantry supports all of mid-Nebraska. They offer a commodities program and run an onsite food pantry. The giving Tree also provided Christmas presents and toys for children. 347 West 7th Street.





Volunteers of America Western Nebraska provides coverage to some of this region, including Keith County. Basic needs can be met from a pantry and clothing closet. Other services include free holiday food baskets, emergency rent help, and referrals to other non-profits. Volunteers from the VOA organization focus on helping the less fortunate. More Western Nebraska Volunteers of America.

United Methodist Church, Red Cloud, NE 68970, call (402) 746-2420.

Good Neighbors Community Center – Resources provided include living necessities, baby items, toys around the holidays, household goods, appliances, free gently used clothing, and furniture. A food pantry is available too for fruits, rice, breads, and other items. 225 North Main Street, Hay Springs, Nebraska 69347, (308) 638-7534


By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site