latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Windham County assistance programs.

Get help in Windham County from a variety of charities, churches, and government assistance programs. Struggling as well as low income families may receive cash assistance or grants, or maybe free food. The financial aid can be used for paying rent or security deposits, energy bills, cover prescription drug needs, and address other bills.

There are a number of free items and other resources too. Whether it is free back to school supplies for kids or financial assistance for seniors, charities help. There is also government aid to pay winter heating or gas bills, free car repairs, and also Christmas toys for kids. Find how to get all of this help, and more, below.

Ways to get assistance with expenses and bills

The Access Agency is a Community Action Agency that assists struggling families and low income people who live in Windham County and eastern Connecticut. They administer several programs that can provide people with grants to pay bills (for short term aid). The long term goal of the agency is to ensure people have what they need to become self sufficient over the long term.

Connecticut Energy Assistance Program
This program was created to help people pay for winter heating bills. The goal is to offset winter heating costs for low to middle income families who live in either Windham or Tolland counties.

Foreclosure Prevention and Eviction Prevention (EFPP)
This housing assistance program will assist both low and moderate income residents who are facing an eviction or who are in danger of losing their home. The goal is to aid those who are at risk of homelessness because they are unable to pay past due mortgage payments or back rent. Some of the resources offered to applicants include mediation, conflict resolution, and cash grants and payments provided by a state-funded rent-bank which is administered by the Connecticut Department of Social Services (DSS). Find additional mortgage assistance programs.

Food Aid
Assistance is offered from various food banks located around the county. The Food Bank program is available to those families and individuals who may find themselves in a crisis or an emergency situation where they run a risk of going hungry and being without food. Unfortunately a crisis can happen to anyone, especially in today’s economy, and it can happen at any time which can then force families to have to choose between food and other of life’s necessities such as rent. Access provides food, grants, referrals, and other information.




Counseling and Case Management/HSI
Counseling and referral services are offered from Access Case Managers who are able and willing to assist families and individuals that have multiple needs with ongoing support. Through intake, counseling, and assessment they are able to identify and provide necessary referrals to charities, agency programs and outside resources, including federal and state government programs such as the Connecticut Department of Social Services programs.

To learn more about any program or to apply, contact the Windham community action agency at 1315 Main Street, Suite 2, Willimantic, CT 06226, Phone: 860-450-7487.

Financial assistance for basic needs in Windham County

Energy assistance - Windham families can receive help with utilities from the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) and/or the Contingency Heating Assistance Program (CHAP). These are the two main options out there. Energy payments can help pay primary heating and utility bills of low income and so called vulnerable households. A focus is on families with young children or seniors, as well as the disabled. Places to call include the Access Community Action Agency (1315 Main Street Suite 2, Willimantic, CT 06226, call (860) 450-7400) or TEEG (North Grosvenordale, Connecticut 06255-0664, phone (860) 923-3458)

Cash grants are also offered from Operation Fuel. It is an emergency/crisis program for paying utility and energy bills. Call Windham Area Interfaith Ministry at (860) 456-7270 or Danielson Methodist Church Fuel Fund at (860) 774-4684. Find additional utility assistance programs in Connecticut.





Free food pantries as well as soup kitchens are available both locally and nationally. Whether it is free groceries or baby formula, or applications to USDA, hunger prevention is a focus. Find food pantries for free groceries.

Windham Area Interfaith Ministry may have assistance for low income individuals who have no other options available to them.

  • Rental assistance may be offered from Project of the Windham Homeless Coalition, which provides low interest loans or grants of up to $250 to meet rental and security deposit needs. Funds need to be to stop or reverse homelessness.
  • Volunteer credit counselors and coaches are trained to help clients develop an understanding of their financial situation and manage their debt savings, income, budgets, spending, and other financial matters.
  • Free or low cost household goods, clothing, linens, food, and items such as small appliances and furniture, are offered for individuals and families in need of support.
  • Cash grants of up to $100 per person per fiscal year for necessities that cannot be funded anywhere else. The fund includes payments for car parts/repairs, furnace prime and start, licenses, and prescription medications.
  • Transportation is arranged by WAIM to job interviews in Windham County.
  • Once work has been obtained, additional automobile assistance may be offered, even including free cars or trucks.
  • Other resources include school and work clothing, Unmet Necessities Fund, and computer donations.

The non-profit is at 866 Main Street, Willimantic, CT 06226. Call (860) 456-7270, or find more information on assistance from Windham Area Interfaith Ministry.

Senior Centers and Agency on Aging locations in Windham County assist senior citizens, retirees as well as the disabled. Up to 20 assistance programs may be offered, not including referrals or case management. There is also hands on support.

Qualified elderly or disabled can get government grants. They can get help in applying for property tax help or Medicare. There are various congregate food programs as well as Meals on Wheels. Or get free continuing education, supportive housing, medications and other services. More on Eastern Connecticut Area Agency on Aging.

Connecticut public assistance programs can help the very low income in Windham County. There may be applications to SNAP food stamps, low cost government housing, cash aid, free healthcare and more. Generally this form of help is for the very low income, disabled, or elderly. More on Connecticut public assistance.

Emergency rent, security deposit, and overnight shelters - Several Windham County organizations, as well as DSS, focus on housing issues. They want to stop homelessness, evictions, and in general help tenants with their needs. So grants may be issued, loans for paying deposits, or other forms of financial aid. More on rent help in Windham County.





Social Services are available from the Willimantic Salvation Army. For those that qualify, based on a review done at an appointment, there may be some limited financial aid for paying heating bills, rent, or food. The church based charity also operate a low cost summer camp, provide free toys at Christmas and school supplies, and even visits the vulnerable in local hospitals or nursing homes. Other assistance may also be arranged, and read more Windham County Salvation Army programs.

Access Community Action Agency runs the Eviction Prevention Program/Foreclosure Prevention Program (EFPP). Program offers financial grants and services such as mediation, assessment. Aid is for low income Connecticut residents experiencing an unexpected, non-recurring hardship who have past due mortgage or rent payments due. People need to also have received a notice foreclosure or to quit. The amount of assistance or counseling provided is determined on a case by case basis. All funds are offered as a onetime grant. 231 Broad Street, Danielson, Connecticut 06239, (860) 412-1600.

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page