Southeastern Michigan, Wayne and Oakland County free holiday assistance.
Non-profit and charity organizations in Wayne, Oakland, and nearby counties provide low income families with free Christmas assistance. Several programs are available for the less fortunate, including the unemployed and low income in the region. Toys, free Christmas gifts, holiday baskets, clothes, food and free Thanksgiving as well as Christmas meals are just a few of the services available
Many of the beneficiaries of these programs are children from low income families as well as senior citizens. However others may qualify as well for help around the holidays. Even if you do not meet eligibility conditions to these southeastern Michigan resources, referrals may be offered.
Below you can find details on where to turn for assistance at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Agencies operate across the city of Lapeer, Macomb, Oakland, Wayne County, and other towns as well.
Lyon Township Community Chest
Call the agency at (248) 437-6739.
Volunteers and staff deliver Christmas baskets which contain vouchers to purchase meat, non-disposable food items, groceries and other trimmings for a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. They may also have free gifts for children from low income families.
Ann Arbor Community Center
Location is 625 North Main Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
Main number - (734) 662-3128
Across Washtenaw County, the center distributes free food and grocery baskets which usually contain a turkey, ham, trimmings, or other meat and all goods that are needed for a full and healthy Christmas dinner.
Salvation Army - Eastern Michigan Division
Provides a free food basket, toys or gift certificates to families. The Salvation Army in eastern and southern Michigan may also run holiday assistance programs which match businesses or individuals that want to provide personalized Christmas assistance to those that need help. This can include gifts, a food basket, an invitation to a holiday meal or gathering. Most of the support is for older adults, senior citizens, the disabled, unemployed, or low-income family with children.
- Ann Arbor Corps Community Center, Address is 100 Arbana Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103, Phone - (734) 668-8353
- Dearborn Heights Corps Community Center, 26700 West Warren Avenue, Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
- Monroe Corps Community Center, 815 East First Street, Monroe, MI 48161, call (734) 241-0440 for intake.
- Mount Clemens Corps Community Center, 55 Church Street, Mount Clemens, Michigan 48043, call (586) 469-6712 for intake.
- Ypsilanti Corps Community Center, 9 South Park Street, Ypsilanti, MI 48198, (734) 482-4700
- There are also other centers in SE Michigan. Read more on Salvation Army Michigan assistance programs.
United Way Of Bay County
909 Washington Avenue Suite 2
Bay City, MI 48708
Call (989) 893-7508 for referrals
Old Newsboys' Goodfellow Fund Of Detroit and Wayne County
Mailing address is PO Box 44444
Detroit, Michigan 48244
Telephone - (586) 775-6139
Offers free holiday gift boxes, which include candy, warm clothing, free toys, books, games and more.
Good Shepherd Coalition
Address: 33222 Groesbeck Highway
Fraser, MI 48026
Dial (586) 415-8100
Macomb County residents can get food baskets and/or gifts for children.
Resale - Thrift stores - Society Of Saint Vincent De Paul
6613 N Wayne Rd., Westland, MI 48185, (734) 729-3088
3000 Gratiot Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48207, (313) 393-2930
2375 Orchard Lake Rd, West Bloomfield Township, MI 48323, dial (248) 221-5129
14922 Kercheval Ave., Detroit, MI 48215, main phone (313) 331-6992
Several are in the region. They generally sell low cost items, including birthday or Christmas toys, winter clothes, boots, and more. But some families, in a crisis, may be given additional help or free item during the holidays. Christmas and Thanksgiving food boxes may be given too.
Otsego County United Way
Office address - 116 East Fifth Street
Gaylord, Michigan 49735
Free food basket for families and even individuals in Otsego County Michigan.
Human Development Commission - Lapeer County Office
Main address - 1559 Imlay City Road
Lapeer, MI 48446
Telephone - (810) 664-7133
Provides support, assistance, and guidance during the holidays in registering for food and gifts.
The Baldwin Center of Oakland County
212 Baldwin Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48342
Phone - (248) 332-6101
Services include food baskets which may have groceries, turkey, ham, boxes of food, and more. Gifts may be provided to infants and children too.
United Way Of Southwest Michigan
They are involved in coordinating holiday and Christmas assistance for Berrien County residents.
Saline Area Social Service
131 East Michigan Avenue
Saline, Michigan 48176
Call (734) 429-4570
Southfield Human Services Department
26080 Berg Road
Southfield, MI 48033
For information, dial (248) 796-4540
The Oakland County non-profit works with agencies such as Southfield Goodfellows Organization to provide free Christmas food and gifts to low-income residents. The center also offers an adopt-a-family program for both Thanksgiving and Christmas season so children have a present to open.
Variety of Detroit
Address is 30161 Southfield Road Suite 301
Southfield Michigan based 48076
Seasonal assistance programs, including clothes, Christmas toys, school items and more.
62324 Van Dyke Road
Washington, Michigan 48094
Telephone - (586) 336-9956
Provides Macomb County families with gifts, food, vouchers and gift certificates to purchase food for Christmas Dinner to low-income residents at Christmas time.
Detroit Lions Club
Call Phone - 313-272-3900
The non-profit gives back to the Wayne County and Oakland Community. Some holiday help, Christmas gifts or trees, parties, and other giveaway events may take place.
Community Lutheran Church
Location is 23984 Gibraltar Road
Flat Rock, Michigan 48134
Primary Phone: 734-782-0563
Free toys from USMC and charities
Children and infants from lower income families may be assisted by the free Toys for Tots Christmas assistance program. There are several application sites in Detroit, Wayne, Oakland, and other counties. The gifts are for boys and girls, and all of the Christmas presents will be new as well. The toys, clothing, and other goods will not even be used.
- Areas covered include Woodhaven, Flat Rock, Gibraltar, Brownstown, Trenton, Rockwood, Grosse Ile, Riverview, Wyandotte, South Rockwood, Huron and New Boston. Phone - 734.363.7883.
- Romulus, Wayne, Westland, Livonia, Inkster, Belleville, and Sumpter. Phone - 734.258.2083.
- John Pastor Building - 34018 Beacon Street, Livonia, MI 48150.
- Allen Park, Melvindale, Southgate, Lincoln Park or Taylor. Dial 313-319-4995.
- Toys for Tots application sites in Dearborn, Ecorse, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, Redford or River Rouge, dial 313-269-0635.
- City of Detroit, dial 586-205-0851. Many charities offer free gifts, clothing, winter attire, and more.
- Oakland County towns of Novi, Northville, Plymouth, Canton, Salem, South Lyon, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Milford, Highland, East Highland, White Lake, Keego Harbor, Walled Lake, Farmington, Wixom, Orchard Lake, Wolverine Lake, Union Lake, or Commerce, call 248-331-7433.
- Residents of Southfield, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Oak Park, Madison Heights, Pleasant Ridge, Bloomfield, Franklin, Lathrup Village, Huntington Woods, Clawson, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin, Berkley, Bloomfield Hills, dial 248-798-4595.
- Towns of Troy, Rochester, Auburn Hills, Lake Angelus, Pontiac, Sylvian Lake, Waterford, Rochester Hills, Dayton Plains. Main number to dial is 248-798- 4189.
- Seven Harbors, Andersonville, Lakeville, Davisburg, Springfield, Thomas, Oakwood, Clarkston, Walters, Perry Lake Heights, Oxford, Ortonville, Brandon Gardens, Holly, Goodison, Leonard, Lake Orion. Telephone - 248-328-0490.