Free holiday assistance Southeastern Michigan, Wayne and Oakland County.
Non-profits, churches and charity organizations in Wayne, Oakland, Detroit MI and nearby counties provide low income families with free Christmas or holiday assistance, including toys, money, food., gift cards and even turkey dinners. . Several programs are available for the less fortunate, including Salvation Army and the Toys for Tots, Adopt a Family from VOA in Michigan, or Angel Tree. Find where and how to get assistance during the holiday in Detroit MI and surrounding counties including Lapeer, Macomb, Oakland, Wayne County, and other towns as well.
Of course the unemployed and low income in the region can also apply for help. There are also free Christmas toys for kids of single moms or dads or the homeless. Detroit area families and those from Southeast Michigan can get free Christmas gifts, holiday baskets, clothes, food, video or educational games and free Thanksgiving as well as Christmas meals. Those are just a few of the services available
Many of the beneficiaries of these programs are children from low income families as well as senior citizens. However others may qualify as well for help around the holidays. Even if you do not meet eligibility conditions to these southeastern Michigan resources, referrals may be offered. Below you can find details on where to turn for assistance at Thanksgiving and Christmas, including how to get free Xmas gifts from the Freecycle app in your city.
Free Christmas gift giveaways in SE Michigan area
Lyon Township Community Chest - Only residents of the school district
Call the agency at (248) 437-6739
Volunteers and staff deliver Christmas baskets which contain vouchers to purchase meat, non-disposable food items, groceries and other trimmings for a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. They may also have free gifts, stocking stuffers or decorations for children from low income families.
Ann Arbor Community Center
Location is 625 North Main Street, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105. Main number - (734) 662-3128
Across Washtenaw County, the center distributes free food and grocery baskets which usually contain a turkey, ham, trimmings, or other meat and all goods that are needed for a full and healthy Christmas dinner.
Salvation Army - Eastern Michigan Division
Provides a free food basket, toys or gift certificates to families. The Salvation Army in eastern and southern Michigan may also run holiday assistance programs which match businesses or individuals that want to provide personalized Christmas assistance to those that need help. This can include gifts, a food basket, toys such as Legos or dolls, an invitation to a holiday meal or gathering. There are also free Thanksgiving dinner meals. Most of the support is for older adults, senior citizens, the disabled, unemployed, or low-income family with children.
- Ann Arbor Corps Community Center, Address is 100 Arbana Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103, Phone - (734) 668-8353
- Dearborn Heights Corps Community Center, 26700 West Warren Avenue, Dearborn Heights, MI 48127. Phone - (313) 563-4457
- Monroe Corps Community Center, 815 East First Street, Monroe, MI 48161, call (734) 241-0440 for intake.
- Mount Clemens Corps Community Center, 55 Church Street, Mount Clemens, Michigan 48043, call (586) 469-6712 for intake.
- Ypsilanti Corps Community Center, 9 South Park Street, Ypsilanti, MI 48198. Main number is (734) 482-4700
- The Salvation Army of Detroit has a location at 1200 W Fort St, Detroit, MI 48226. Call (313) 964-3639
- Another site is at 3729 W Chicago, Detroit, MI 48206. Main phone: (313) 897-2914.
- Wayne County Salvation Also has more holiday help at 11311-25 Montrose St, Detroit, MI 48227. Phone: (313) 835-3736
- There are also other centers in SE Michigan. Read more on Salvation Army Michigan assistance programs.
United Way Of Bay County
909 Washington Avenue Suite 2, Bay City, MI 48708. Call (989) 893-7508 for referrals
Old Newsboys' Goodfellow Fund Of Detroit and Wayne County
Mailing address is 1927 Rosa Parks Blvd, Detroit, MI 48216. Telephone - (586) 775-6139
Offers free holiday gift boxes, which include candy, warm clothing, free toys, books, games and more.
Good Shepherd Coalition
Address: 16925 Masonic #26190, Fraser, MI 48026. Dial (586) 307-8888
Macomb County residents can get food baskets and/or gifts for children.
Resale - Thrift stores - Society Of Saint Vincent De Paul
Several are in the region. They generally sell low cost items, including birthday or Christmas toys, winter clothes, boots, and more. But some families, in a crisis, may be given additional help or free item during the holidays. Christmas and Thanksgiving food boxes may be given too. There may be clothes, Christmas decorations, hygiene supplies, board games or free books and more.
- 3000 Gratiot Ave, Detroit, Michigan 4820. Main phone (313) 393-2930
- 395 Dixie Hwy, Waterford Twp, MI 48329. Call (248) 623-2780
- 46408 Woodward Ave, Pontiac, MI 48342. Another thrift store and social services is at (248) 332-028
Joy of Jesus Ministry
4202 S Kingston Rd, Kingston, MI 48741. Call (989) 683-29903
A few hundreds kids, teens, and infants may be assisted.
Otsego County United Way
Office address - 116 E 5th St, Gaylord, MI 49735. Call (989) 732-8929.
Free food basket for families and even individuals in Otsego County Michigan. They also give referrals to charities, churches and groups that provide services such as Adopt a Family or serve holiday meals.
Human Development Commission - Lapeer County Office
Main address - 1559 Imlay City Road, Lapeer, MI 48446. Telephone - (810) 664-7133
Provides support, assistance, and guidance during the holidays in registering for food and gifts.
The Baldwin Center of Oakland County
212 Baldwin Avenue, Pontiac, MI 48342. Phone: (248) 332-6101
Services include food baskets which may have groceries, turkey, ham, boxes of food, and more. Gifts may be provided to infants and children too.
Michigan Volunteers of America
The majority of their clients for holiday assistance come from the Detroit area and suburbs. There may be meals, free Christmas toys, books, games, and more. All of this is part of the adopt a family program. Volunteers help the less fortunate. More on VOA Michigan adopt a Family.
United Way Of Southwest Michigan
They are involved in coordinating holiday and Christmas assistance for Berrien County residents.
Saline Area Social Service
Address is 1259 Industrial Dr, Saline, MI 48176. Call (734) 429-4570
Southfield Human Services Department
26080 Berg Road , Southfield, MI 48033. For information, dial 248-796-500 or (248) 796-4540
The Oakland County non-profit works with agencies such as Southfield Goodfellows Organization to provide free Christmas food and gifts to low-income residents. The center also offers an adopt-a-family program for both Thanksgiving and Christmas season so children have a present to open.
Variety of Detroit
Address is 600 S Adams Rd, Birmingham, MI 48009. Dial 248-258-5511
Seasonal assistance programs, including clothes, Christmas toys, school items and more.
Detroit Area Agency on Aging
Location is 1333 Brewery Park Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48207. Phone - (313) 446-4444
All counties are served, including Wayne and Oakland. There are free holiday meals (both delivered to the homebound and in congregate setting). Seniors, the disabled, retirees, widows and others can get assistance including free Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas food or meals.
Free Toys for Tots USMC and charities
Children and infants from lower income families may be assisted by the free Toys for Tots Christmas assistance program. There are several application sites in Detroit, Wayne, Oakland, and other counties. The gifts are for boys and girls, and all of the Christmas presents will be new as well. Children may get Legos, hot wheel or Matchbox cars, books, clothes, video games and more.
- Areas covered include Woodhaven, Flat Rock, Gibraltar, Brownstown, Trenton, Rockwood, Grosse Ile, Riverview, Wyandotte, South Rockwood, Huron and New Boston. Phone - 734.363.7883.
- Romulus, Wayne, Westland, Livonia, Inkster, Belleville, and Sumpter. Phone - 734.258.2083.
- John Pastor Building - 34018 Beacon Street, Livonia, MI 48150. Call (734) 522-3800
- Allen Park, Melvindale, Southgate, Lincoln Park or Taylor. Dial 313-319-4995 or 313-815-1041.
- Toys for Tots application sites in Dearborn, Ecorse, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, Redford or River Rouge, dial 313-269-0635 or 313-949-8448
- City of Detroit, dial 586-205-0851, 586-242-6682 or 586-242-7172. Many charities offer free gifts, clothing, winter attire, and more.
- Oakland County towns of Novi, Northville, Plymouth, Canton, Salem, South Lyon, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Milford, Highland, East Highland, White Lake, Keego Harbor, Walled Lake, Farmington, Wixom, Orchard Lake, Wolverine Lake, Union Lake, or Commerce, call 248-331-7433.
- Residents of Southfield, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Oak Park, Madison Heights, Pleasant Ridge, Bloomfield, Franklin, Lathrup Village, Huntington Woods, Clawson, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin, Berkley, Bloomfield Hills, dial 248-798-4595.
- Towns of Troy, Rochester, Auburn Hills, Lake Angelus, Pontiac, Sylvian Lake, Waterford, Rochester Hills, Dayton Plains. Main number to dial is 248-798- 4189.
- Seven Harbors, Andersonville, Lakeville, Davisburg, Springfield, Thomas, Oakwood, Clarkston, Walters, Perry Lake Heights, Oxford, Ortonville, Brandon Gardens, Holly, Goodison, Leonard, Lake Orion. Telephone - 248-328-0490.
- Dearborn Michigan applications for Toys for Tots and local charities- https://dearborn-mi.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/default.aspx?nPageID=100&nPreviewInd=200&nRedirectInd=3
- In northern Oakland County, more information on Toys for Tots is here. https://north-oakland-county.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/default.aspx?nPageID=100&nPreviewInd=200&nRedirectInd=3
- Toys for Tots has a separate assistance program in Southern Oakland County. Apply here. https://novi-mi.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/default.aspx?nPageID=100&nPreviewInd=200&nRedirectInd=3
- Wayne and Macomb County Toys for Tots and Detroitapplications - https://detroit-mi.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/default.aspx?nPageID=100&nPreviewInd=200&nRedirectInd=3
- Trenton Michigan residents apply here. Toys for Tots can help kids under the age of 17 - https://trenton-mi.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/default.aspx?nPageID=100&nPreviewInd=200&nRedirectInd=3
Catholic Charities of SE Michigan
Both low income residents, single moms, and foster parents in Wayne and Oakland County can get free Christmas toys, gift cards, or food baskets. There are also Thanksgiving turkeys and meals served on the holidays. Address is 24445 Northwestern Hwy., Southfield, MI 48075. For information on shelter, financial help, or holiday support, call 313-883-2100 or 855.882.2736.
62324 Van Dyke Road, Washington, Michigan 48094. Telephone - (586) 336-9956
Provides Macomb County families with gifts, food, vouchers and gift certificates to purchase food for Christmas Dinner to low-income residents at Christmas time.
Location is 1720 S Livernois Rd, Rochester Hills, MI 48307. Call (248) 651-5836
A small Christmas shopping spree is for for qualified kids. They can pick free Christmas toys, clothes and stuff they need or want.
Detroit Lions Club
Call Phone - 313-272-3900
The non-profit gives back to the Wayne County and Oakland Community. Some holiday help, Christmas gifts or trees, parties, and other giveaway events may take place.
Grace Center of Hope
Address is 26740 Dequindre Rd, Warren, MI 48091. Call (586) 582-9334
There are free holiday meals, including at Christmas and Thanksgiving. The homeless, unemployed, families in poverty can get hot meals, a turkey dinner with all the toppings, desserts and other items. Small toys, gift cards for kids and little trinkets may be offered.
Community Lutheran Church
Location is 23984 Gibraltar Road, Flat Rock, Michigan 48134. Primary Phone: 734-782-0563
Troy People Concerned
Address is 2045 Austin Dr., Troy, Michigan 48083. Call (248) 528-9199
Troy Michigan residents can apply for an adopt-a-family holiday basket program. This is based on donations. It operates for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter holidays.
Detroit Rescue Mission
150 Stimson Street, Detroit, MI 48201. Phone: (313) 993-4700
They have an Adopt a Family Program. There may be hygiene supplies, small free Christmas toys, gifts, presents, cleans, jeans and more, based on donations from the community.
Additional free holiday programs.
These will only be for residents of the city and town. The Christmas and Thanksgiving help is local. Based donations, there may be free food baskets, winter clothes, Thanksgiving turkey dinners, and even Christmas gifts. They help working poor and struggling families in their region only. There may be gift cards, electronics, shoes, trucks, and other free toys.
- Lake Orion Lions Club has Christmas baskets for won residents in need. Groceries, small stocking stuffers and more. 2325 Joslyn Rd, Orion Twp, MI 48360. Call (248) 975-6378
- Feeding the Need is at 27151 Gratiot Ave, Roseville, MI 48066. Dial (586) 945-7090
- Oxford/Orion FISH Address is 1060 S Lapeer Rd, Oxford, MI 48371. Telephone - (248) 628-3933.
- Farmington Area Goodfellows helps people in the Farmington area only that are over the age of 55. Call 248-473-1826
- Priceless Gift Toy Store address is 224 W. Wilkins St. in Jackson, MI 49203. Call 517-740-8444
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com